.99 horsepower per cubic inch

andrew heywood said:
Would it be possible to install say, 2 afbs with a custom alum intake and rework heads :dontknow: maybe 5 or 6 hun cfms:dontknow: and comm issues :dontknow: just ramblin fellas dont pay me no nevermind, just curious :) :D :rock: :eek:

Might look kinda' cool. The old AFBs that came on the 1971 426 Hemis (2 x 4 BBL.) for example, were 570 c.f.m. each.
With those carbs and the 426 Hemi heads, they had an induction sound that was hard to forget!

Last edited:
pokeytemplar said:
Think that is shallow you should see the flow numbers of the Magnum v-10's only 203cfm! The Gen 1 Vipers weren't much better than that either!
Hey howdy PT, sooo whadda think is it possible, like the inline set up on the hemi 426 :dontknow:

rottenronnie said:
Might look kinda' cool. The old AFBs that came on the 1971 426 Hemis (2 x 4 BBL.) for example, were 570 c.f.m. each.
I thougt it was 13 total 650 each :dontknow: ALL I know is I would love to have anyone of those dodge or plymouth cars , HEMI CUDA SHAKER HOOD :rock:

Anything is possible! It only takes time and money. Everyone told me it would be impossible to make Viper parts fit on an Iron block V-10!

I have been toying with the idea myself. I wonder what Jeff could come up with to bolt on to the Viper block if he DIDN"T have to use the factory intake manifold and exhaust. Man if only I had a CNC milling machine!

Has anyone ever seen these guys? If they can convert a 360 for Hemi heads then it is only feasible that the Viper could be converted as well. Just need someone willing to cut and weld a couple of Aluminium Hemi heads together. I'll modify my block to accept them!

pokeytemplar said:
Anything is possible! It only takes time and money. Everyone told me it would be impossible to make Viper parts fit on an Iron block V-10!

I have been toying with the idea myself. I wonder what Jeff could come up with to bolt on to the Viper block if he DIDN"T have to use the factory intake manifold and exhaust. Man if only I had a CNC milling machine!
I like this thread :rock: I like your enthusiasim , I would love to be involved in ground floor break through :congrats: :rock: :D

pokeytemplar said:
Has anyone ever seen these guys? If they can convert a 360 for Hemi heads then it is only feasible that the Viper could be converted as well. Just need someone willing to cut and weld a couple of Aluminium Hemi heads together. I'll modify my block to accept them!
WOW , those are off the hinges , hp and torque must be crazy in the small block with hemi head, would the stroke on the 340 6 pack retain the perfect numbers :dontknow:

rottenronnie said:
With those carbs and the 426 Hemi heads, they had an induction sound that was hard to forget!

No need to imagine. Hogan's has already made them, plus a FOUR 4bbl intake.

http://www.hogansracingmanifolds.com/products.htm

Download the catalog, and go to page 4 for some trick V-10 intakes.:rock:

I dunno. What sucks for them was right after they developed the package the new Hemi's were released.

rottenronnie said:
625 cfm each, carter carbs:burnout:

andrew heywood said:
625 cfm each, carter carbs:burnout:

OK-

The front Carter A.F.B. on my 426 Hemi #4742S = 570 c.f.m.
The rear Carter A.F.B. #4746S = 570 c.f.m.

Total c.f.m.= 1140 c.f.m.

The larger Carter AVS carb used on the 440s flowed more.

The AFBs used on the 426 Hemis are just little fellas.
However you would like to add it up, is up to you.

I am going to watch the game now....

Ron

Intake flow numbers can give you an idea on Horsepower numbers. On a typical V-8 you can roughly double the intake flow numbers and achieve that horsepower with the right cam and intake. My Indy heads flow 355 cfm @ .700 cam lift which would be 710 hp on a good build. Mine makes 650 on pump gas through mufflers and complete exhaust. On a V-10 you should be able to make a little more than that with EFI and race gas I would think 800 would be obtainable.

rottenronnie said:
Strikers work well.
As for the best flow from them, I don't know; 350 seems a reasonable bet though.

A stage 4 Head port will get you around 310 315 cfm... I have not heard of 350 before

As you know the viper engines were designed as a very different animal than a high-winding V8 (like the 426 Hemi), with greater emphasis on low end torque not horsepower. To keep the low end torque high the head flow had to be restricted.

So when you talk about opening the heads for greater NA cfm you are making a sacrifice by killing your torque without necessarily getting an equivalent gain on the high end... the "engine redesign" of opening up the breathing for this motor is much more complicated than a V8, especially when taking into account the necessary cam timing/lift, induction system, computer programing, combustion chamber design, etc. to make it all work properly.

Which is also the reason FI works so well on these engines. With FI head flow doesn't matter or matters very little until you get into the high HP numbers. You get the same cfm but the density of the charge is boosted... so there is no low end sacrifice and all that is needed is timing adjustment.

back to the original question of 1.3hp per CI, i would think rottenronnie is already there. he is 566 at the wheels if you say 17% drive line loss you get 662hp at the flywheel or 1.31 hp/ci. and i would think the auto would suck more than 17%

SRT10VENOMOUS said:
A stage 4 Head port will get you around 310 315 cfm... I have not heard of 350 before

Strikers out of the box: http://jmcylinderheads.com/?page_id=59

What would flow numbers be with some additional work...?? (That is where the 350 guesstimate came from).
If I did that though- I might need headers! :)

P.S.
Check out the flow numbers on these bad boys @ 1.1" of lift!: http://www.sonnysracingengines.com/symmetricalport.html

932 cu. in. = 2200 horsepower N.A. (no nitrous) @ 8100 r.p.m. THAT is what big flow on big engines can do these days.http://www.sonnysracingengines.com/sar932.html
But for 89 grand, it should be "peppy".

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back