A famililar prayer....

Black1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was quoted from many moons ago..... for a different time, and place.... and war. Maybe some of you will remember this fateful day in history, maybe even watched in on TV (well, it was probably radio then :dontknow:).......... Let's see who can tell me Who, When, and Why.

But, for now.... This prayer rings true, more than ever..... or, I guess, ever more.

“Almighty God: Our sons, pride of our nation, this day have set upon a mighty endeavor, a struggle to preserve our Republic, our religion, and our civilization, and to set free a suffering humanity.

“Lead them straight and true; give strength to their arms, stoutness to their hearts, steadfastness in their faith.

“They will need Thy blessings. Their road will be long and hard. For the enemy is strong. He may hurl back our forces. Success may not come with rushing speed, but we shall return again and again; and we know that by Thy grace, and by the righteousness of our cause, our sons will triumph.

“They will be sore tried, by night and by day, without rest -- until the victory is won. The darkness will be rent by noise and flame. Men's souls will be shaken with the violences of war.

“For these men are lately drawn from the ways of peace. They fight not for the lust of conquest. They fight to end conquest. They fight to liberate. They fight to let justice arise, and tolerance and goodwill among all Thy people. They yearn but for the end of battle, for their return to the haven of home.

“Some will never return. Embrace these, Father, and receive them, Thy heroic servants, into Thy kingdom.

“And for us at home -- fathers, mothers, children, wives, sisters, and brothers of brave men overseas, whose thoughts and prayers are ever with them -- help us, Almighty God, to rededicate ourselves in renewed faith in Thee in this hour of great sacrifice."

“And, O Lord, give us faith. Give us faith in Thee; faith in our sons; faith in each other; faith in our united crusade. Let not the keeness of our spirit ever be dulled. Let not the impacts of temporary events, of temporal matters of but fleeting moment -- let not these deter us in our unconquerable purpose.

“With Thy blessing, we shall prevail over the unholy forces of our enemy. Help us to conquer the apostles of greed and racial arrogances. Lead us to the saving of our country, and with our sister nations into a world unity that will spell a sure peace -- a peace invulnerable to the schemings of unworthy men. And a peace that will let all of men live in freedom, reaping the just rewards of their honest toil.

“Thy will be done, Almighty God.

“Amen."

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS.... and ALL of you, as well. :)

Last edited:
I could be wrong about the day, but regardless, this applies to our current affairs as well. I just wish that today's society would embrace a prayer like this. God bless our soldiers. I hope everyone that has faith of any kind prays a prayer like this for them.

LOL!!!........... You guys flunked US History, or what?!?!? :dontknow: :D :p

The initials "FDR" mean anything??? :dontknow: .......... rof

Black1 said:
LOL!!!........... You guys flunked US History, or what?!?!? :dontknow: :D :p

The initials "FDR" mean anything??? :dontknow:

Ford Drag Racer, aka Loser?:dontknow: :confused: :D

And yes, I knew the real answer before you gave the hint.;)

Actually, the President at the time of D-Day was Teddy, but Ike was the Supreme Allied Commander. Truman was to be voted in in November and was the President credited with receiving the surrender from Japan.

ntw0rk said:
Actually, the President at the time of D-Day was Teddy, but Ike was the Supreme Allied Commander. Truman was to be voted in in November and was the President credited with receiving the surrender from Japan.

Mostly true.... Truman was FDR's Vice-President and moved up the ladder after Mr. Roosevelt's death in June 1945. :) Ike was the next president, after Truman.

Last edited:
Ahhh, that's right, I forgot that Truman wasn't voted in. Everything else was correct though! :D

ntw0rk said:

Still wrong.

Teddy was the 26th president who served from 1901 to 1909.

FDR was the 32nd president who served from 1933 to 1945.

Truman was the 33rd president who served from 1945 to 1953. Truman was an elected president, after he finished serving the term of FDR who died in office.

Class dismissed.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back