A Great way to improve MPG

Burkerice07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently was hired by Master Car Care of Columbia SC, A division of Firestone, as a Mechanical tech.

Get this, for a little more than $50, Firestone offers a 3 step fuel system cleaning that is set up to improve mpg, i was skeptical at first, because ive heard people claim this before, but this stuff really works.

Step 1, Throttle body cleaning, They use a can of TB cleaner and a small wire brush, my truck only has 18,000 on it, and it freed up ALLOT of gunk.

Step 2, they ad a Potent Additive to your fuel tank

Step 3, then lastly, they have a bag of cleaner that they connect to a vaccume line near your TB, As the truck idles, it causes the liquid to vaporise and suck from the bottle, slowly draining it, The solution mixes with the additive in your gas tank activating the Potent cleaning action, With leaves you with the Cleanest fuel injectors EVER, this step lasts about 15 mins.

I'll keep this short, after doing this to my truck, and driving 60 miles later that day, i had an immideate increase in MPG, i went from 13.5 MPG average on the interstate (70+ MPH) to an 18.3 MPG after 60 miles.

Thats a Great Deal...... I strongly Suggest it to everyone. Swing by Firestone and have it done, I;ll keep posted as to how long the effects last, should be a few thousand miles.

...or you could save yourself a bunch of money and get a good (STP) bottle of injector cleaner for your tank for less than $10. 0.01 hrs. of labor.

Cleaning the throttle body is another easy job that only costs you a couple of bucks for the TB spray can of cleaner. About 1 hr. of labor.

I get around 18 - 19 MPG on the highway all the time, never had a cleaning done, but i do use the Lucas Oil upper cylinder lube/gas treatment once a month. I was told by the same engine builder that said to never use oil additives in the Viper engines to NEVER spray any type of cleaner into the TB :dontknow:

Just curious, since these engines have individual port fuel injection,vs TBI,

why would there be a bunch of gunk in the throttle body?:dontknow:

You can do the same thing, with 2 cans of seafoam and 1 can of seafoam deep creep.

I just did my camaro, talk about a smoke show while it was doing its thing, haha.

FastSRT19 said:
...to NEVER spray any type of cleaner into the TB :dontknow:
For the record, my TB was removed from the engine PRIOR to any spray cleaner being used.

RUBBISH!!!!! :confused: :dontknow: :eek:

Sorry, young man... But, your new employer is filling your head with BS..... Fuel additives have been sold as "Snake Oils" (pardon the pun) for the better part of a CENTURY. It's utter BS, unless your car has over 60K miles on it.... even then, it will take away all the crap in the cylinders that is keeping your piston rings from producing blow-by... Hence, you recommend a "good" engine rebuilder (preferably your GOOD BUDDY down the road. :eek: ) ... Oldest trick in the book.

I WILL recommend always using GOOD fuel from a BUSY gas station.... your local BP, Sunoco (HIGHLY RECOMMEND), or Shell would be sufficient. ;)

Last edited:
I had this service done by the dealership, and didn't see any difference in MPG. I felt better because I know that it's better for the truck in the long run.

Burkerice07 said:
I recently was hired by Master Car Care of Columbia SC, A division of Firestone, as a Mechanical tech.

Get this, for a little more than $50, Firestone offers a 3 step fuel system cleaning that is set up to improve mpg, i was skeptical at first, because ive heard people claim this before, but this stuff really works.

Step 1, Throttle body cleaning, They use a can of TB cleaner and a small wire brush, my truck only has 18,000 on it, and it freed up ALLOT of gunk.

Step 3, then lastly, they have a bag of cleaner that they connect to a vaccume line near your TB, As the truck idles, it causes the liquid to vaporise and suck from the bottle, slowly draining it, The solution mixes with the additive in your gas tank activating the Potent cleaning action, With leaves you with the Cleanest fuel injectors EVER, this step lasts about 15 mins.

I'll keep this short, after doing this to my truck, and driving 60 miles later that day, i had an immideate increase in MPG, i went from 13.5 MPG average on the interstate (70+ MPH) to an 18.3 MPG after 60 miles.

Thats a Great Deal...... I strongly Suggest it to everyone. Swing by Firestone and have it done, I;ll keep posted as to how long the effects last, should be a few thousand miles.
little did u know that the techs changed ur display to read kilometers instead of mpg:marchmellow: :marchmellow:

supercar1of1 said:

Just curious, since these engines have individual port fuel injection,vs TBI,

why would there be a bunch of gunk in the throttle body?:dontknow:

There's always plenty of oil present in the intake on these trucks. Combine that with whatever particles are missed by the air cleaner, and you'll have some deposits. Honestly though, at after 18k and an engine failure, my TB looked pretty good.

flchub said:
little did u know that the techs changed ur display to read kilometers instead of mpg:marchmellow: :marchmellow:

LMAO! I did that to the patrol cars at work and it tossed the chief into a rampage...took him 15 minutes to figure out why we had (what he thought) over 90,000 miles on year old cars. :D :argh:

PARK IT AND DRIVE THE VEEDUB....................................!!!!

The SRT-10 is a gas-guzzling, 500 hp, Viper V-10 driven, fuel injected monster hot-rod truck. It weighs over 5300 lbs- your fat ass not included.

The next person who asks about feul economy on this site could be a candidate for keelhauling.... I mean, WTF...... Someone people are just NOT getting it...... AT ALL...!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keelhauling

BRB.........I'm going in search of a service station that sells nitro...........

D

im just makin a point is all, Like what was said earlyer, i know most of the stuff is Just "Snake Oil" Being fed lies is 1 thing, seeing a 6 MPG average better after a 20 min treatment is Substantial........

Burkerice07 said:

i worked at the woodruff rd store in s.c. as the service mgr. personally, i wouldnt do this, nor would i advise anyone else. that everwear crap should be called neverwear, cause it never leaves your tank. it turns into sludge...oh yeah, tell bob and don to suck a fat one and pack your toolbox and go somewhere decent...

best gas mileage i get is from a oil change, no shit! i go from 17.5 to 15 mpg in 2500 miles, oil change and all is good in the universe. i use the srt for a DD because it gets such good mileage. my 4x4 beater gets 6 mpg loaded, unloaded, in town or on the highway. i got my fuel bill yesterday and it is over a grand. needless to say the 4x4 is parked :mad:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back