ABS Problem?

oneslowVip3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just purchased my 05 about a mouth ago. From time to time while driving the ABS light and parking brake light come on. They go away if I shut the truck off and restart it.

Any help on this?
Concerns?

Thanks

sounds like its been asked before.

ya checked to see if its loggin codes & what they are???

sounds like its been asked before.

ya checked to see if its loggin codes & what they are???

I apologize, the search will not work on my phone.

I have not, I'll see if I can find a reader.

I know it is a different truck, but my Dakota had same issue. The rear wheel cylinder was leaking fluid. I think the low brake fluid caused the lights to come on.

start with the easy things :

- fluid Level ok ?

If fluid Level is ok, you should bleed the Brakes to get possible air out of the lines and refill.

Brake fluid should be changed regularly.

If this is all ok and light still come on, check for sensors.

i have the same problem for a couple off years , lol

everything checked like Arne says , still light comes on , and sometimes stay off for couple days , then on for every time i drive , it comes on when driving normal.

next thing i'm gonna try is replace the reservoir for brakefluid , there are also sensors on this , so maybe it will be fixed.
i let you know next week when work is done at the shop...;)

I have experienced faulty rear differential speed sensors causing the same problem.

I know it is a different truck, but my Dakota had same issue. The rear wheel cylinder was leaking fluid. I think the low brake fluid caused the lights to come on.

I will check the fluid level. Thanks

start with the easy things :

- fluid Level ok ?

If fluid Level is ok, you should bleed the Brakes to get possible air out of the lines and refill.

Brake fluid should be changed regularly.

If this is all ok and light still come on, check for sensors.

I'll check fluid level. If it's low I'll check for leaks.
How often should the fluid be changed?
Does the truck take any special kind of fluid? I don't have an owners manual to look.

Thanks

I'll check fluid level. If it's low I'll check for leaks.
How often should the fluid be changed?
Does the truck take any special kind of fluid? I don't have an owners manual to look.

Thanks

It doesn't take a special fluid but if you are changing it put DOT4 in it, compatible with DOT3 but has a higher boiling point. Absolutely do not put DOT5 in it, that will cause problems because it is silicone based and doesn't work with 3 or 4.

As VPRPWRD said the rear differential speed sensor can do this as well as front wheel bearings as sensor is contained within them on front speed sensors for ABS. Jack up front and rotate wheels listening for any harsh, rough noises/feeling. Using top and bottom of tire/wheel, use your hands rocking from top to bottom and see if wheel feels loose.

Last edited:
i have the same problem for a couple off years , lol

everything checked like Arne says , still light comes on , and sometimes stay off for couple days , then on for every time i drive , it comes on when driving normal.

next thing i'm gonna try is replace the reservoir for brakefluid , there are also sensors on this , so maybe it will be fixed.
i let you know next week when work is done at the shop...;)

Let me know if it gets fixed.

Thank you.

It doesn't take a special fluid but if you are changing it put DOT4 in it, compatible with DOT3 but has a higher boiling point. Absolutely do not put DOT5 in it, that will cause problems because it is silicone based and doesn't work with 3 or 4.

Alright, thanks man.

As VPRPWRD said the rear differential speed sensor can do this as well as front wheel bearings as sensor is contained worjing them on front speed sensors for ABS. Jack up front and rotate wheels listening for any harsh, rough noises/feeling. Using top and bottom of tire/wheel, use your hands rocking from top to bottom and see if wheel feels loose.

I will give this a try as well. Wheels need to come off for cleaning anyways.:)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back