Adjusting the bands in the 48RE

FATTONY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this has been discussed to death but could someone point me to the thread that tells one how to adjust the bands in your tranny yourself... This is new to me and I was told it has to be done every 15k and it's easy and one can do it himself... Ok I have 30k and do not know if it was EVER done... Can you all help... Thankx Tony...

The front (kickdown) band adjusting screw (2)(Front Band Adjustment Screw Location) is located on the left side of the transmission case above the manual valve and throttle valve levers.

Raise vehicle.
Loosen band adjusting screw locknut. Then back locknut (1) off 3-5 turns. Be sure adjusting screw turns freely in case. Apply lubricant to screw threads if necessary.
Tighten band adjusting screw to 8 N·m (72 in. lbs.) torque with an appropriate Torx™ socket.
CAUTION: If Adapter C-3705 is needed to reach the adjusting screw, tighten the screw to only 5 N·m (47-50 in. lbs.) torque.

Back off front band adjusting screw 1-3/4 turns, for diesel vehicles, or 1-1/2 turns, for V-10 vehicles.
Hold adjuster screw in position and tighten locknut to 34 bN·m (25 ft. lbs.) torque
BAND1.gif
The transmission oil pan must be removed for access to the rear band adjusting screw (1)(Rear Band Adjustment Screw Location).

Raise vehicle.
Remove transmission oil pan and drain fluid.
Loosen band adjusting screw locknut 5-6 turns. Be sure adjusting screw turns freely in lever.
Tighten adjusting screw to 8 N·m (72 in. lbs.) torque.
Back off adjusting screw 3 turns.
Hold adjusting screw in place and tighten locknut to 41N·m (30 ft. lbs.) torque.
Position new gasket on oil pan and install pan on transmission. Tighten pan bolts to 17 N·m (13 ft. lbs.) torque.
Lower vehicle and refill transmission with Mopar® ATF +4, Automatic Transmission fluid.
BAND2.gif

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back