Aftermarket Radio Gurus?

StinkyLinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put in a Kenwood radio and have an issue. In accessory or run ignition switch modes, the radio is fine. I can cycle between these modes a 100 times and not have an issue. The problem is when I push the big red button. 80% of the time the radio goes completely dead. The only way out of this is to open the dash, remove the radio, unplug the harness and plug it back in. If I do this while the truck is running, it will stay powered forever. The next start, my 80% failure odds come into play again.

I first replaced the adapter harness (AXXESS) with the same result, and a new head unit with the same result again.

I put the factory radio back in and it has no issues that I can detect (except a "stuck CD" sound at power up if there are none loaded).

What I think is happening is a ground fault during the starter cycle(?). I was thinking of pulling a new chassis ground direct from the harness to the radio. I also dug up an OLD Kenwood forum reply that the radio goes to "Protect" if the radio sees a short in the speaker wires. However, in this example, the radio actually indicates "PROTECT" on the screen. Besides the rear pillar speakers sounding like total a$$, I don't think there is a problem with any of them.

Thoughts?

Sounds like your motor is blown man, need to get a new truck

Run a dedicated power wire to the stereo. rather than from the radio harness and see if it cures it

I was thinking dedicated ground and "always on" first. Then the switched wire if these don't do the job. But if I am getting a speaker short that is causing the radio to go to protect, I guess I will have wasted a little time on wires.

Or, I could just be fat dumb and happy with the factory 6 CD. Well, not happy.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back