Another P0420 Chat...

apaden

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I bought mopar headers and catless mids from Tony. Got them installed, Torrie got me an awesome tune. All was good to go and no codes!

I took my truck to the shop about 2 weeks ago to get some work done (fan clutch, power steering pump, tran service, etc). When I got it back I installed a BBK and only real snag I ran into was I had to replace the throttle body sensor b/c the plastic snapped but thats it. Now, after that and about 2 days after I took it home the P0420 show up. Okay, so I figured maybe they erased the tunes w/ their machine or something so I just reprogrammed it with Torries tunes and all was good, at least for anther few days but its back again.

Any idea of what it could be?

Thanks a lot for any help!!!
Anthony

Last edited:
That is a catalyst efficiency code, the JTEC runs a some active tests while you are driving down the road at a constant speed / load to make sure the catalyst is doing it's job. Basically it looks at the switch ratio pre-cat to post-cat.

Okay, thanks for the initial advice!

Yessir had it happen to afew, hit up torrie, he has the fix for it, if it dont holla back , a few other things to look at also
one make sure the wires to the extensions are not crimped or burned

I checked all the wires and they seemed good to go and the plugs were tight too...

I had two customers with the mopars using there extensions that had a similar deal
one was melted nwo the ohter took awhile, they had to take apart the plug end and found one of the plugs the clip inside was not clipped into the connector so when they pushed the tho together , it pushed that one out, so it wasnt getting full voltage, I doubt thats your prob, most were fixed via email from the tor man

Okay, sorry to bring this back up to the top but my check engine light came on again (p0420). I emailed Torrie b/c I have his tunes and this was his response:

"The calibrations I sent you have the P0420 code removed. That should not be invoked if your using the files I created for you."

Is there some way this code could still come on if Torrie turned it off w/ the tunes?

Thanks again!!!

I wouldn't think so, but what do I know.
Are you sure the new files he sent you got loaded to youe SCT? Maybe try it again.
If Torrie says it not in the program, then its not. He really knows what he is doing. If he told me the sky was red, I might just believe him.
However, I have seen stranger things with electronics before.

Last edited:
Yeah I reloaded them the last time and they have been gone for about 2 weeks now. Torrie has been a big help and is currently responding w/ me via email. I see what you mean about believing every word he says! I just wish he was in the Seattle area to dyno this thing!

apaden said:
Yeah I reloaded them the last time and they have been gone for about 2 weeks now. Torrie has been a big help and is currently responding w/ me via email. I see what you mean about believing every word he says! I just wish he was in the Seattle area to dyno this thing!

Yea, we are sorta lucky to have him in FL. So far I have had 2 chances to get dynoed (I dynoed once) with a 3rd and 4th coming up soon.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back