Any advice in a heated up engine??

58lymouth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a hot engine. Any suggestions or advice??

Got a 05 viper engine in a street rod and got her going. It wi run great for about 10-12 minuites then she starts heating up. I lasored the Thermo housing and it was 240*. The bottom the rad was 230*. She was boiling all back in the res tank. She was HOT. Got a Alluminum rad 17x23 core with 3 rows cores. About 2 1/2" thick. Got. 2000cfm fan. Anyone got a idea for me ??

possibile stuck thermostst.
with our style of stat fairly common after sittin for a while

might sound silly, belt on correctly??

fan comin on???

Let it cool then change the thermostat. There are 4 bolts! One is very difficult to see! Make sure the system is bleed well. Does the high speed fan come on? It is hydraulic. Runs off the powersteering.

Any advice on why my engine don't cool

I've got a 05 viper engine in a 61 Chrys. I used a allum radiator with a core size of 17x 23 that's almost 3 in thick. She runs up to about 235*. Which is just too hot. Have a 16 " fan with 3000 Cfm. Any ideas guys?

Possible stuck thermostat. Have any more info on when & how it over heats? Can you post some pics of the rad & fan you are running?

Mopar or no car

Yes, Its because you were that lil kid that asked questions about everything....:):):)

Haven't they kicked a sarcastic bastard like u off this list yet?? I thought smart asses like u who think they know everything were taken off the list. If all u can do is make smart ass remarks, shut your pie hole!!!!

Dup threads merged

Heated viper

Possible stuck thermostat. Have any more info on when & how it over heats? Can you post some pics of the rad & fan you are running?[/QUOTE

I pulled the state and it is good. Besides u can see the water is circulating pretty good thru the rad. But thanks for the advice.

possibile stuck thermostst.
with our style of stat fairly common after sittin for a while

might sound silly, belt on correctly??

fan comin on???
Yea I direct wired the fan. So it's on all the time but after about 15 mn. , she's hot. The belt is fine and the water is circulating really good

Hot viper

My fan dont kick on till 230..

I let her run till it started boiling the water back into the reserve tank. I lasered the water out let and it was up to 245. The lower rad hose was 247. Seems awful hot to me. It was boiling the water out the top of the reserve tank.
What if a person took out the stat completely?? Anyone ever tried that?
Hey, also, thanks.

I measured the rad on my viper and it's 26x16 3cores, and from my research the cooling fan pulls 4000+cfm. So I'd say its a combo of too small of a radiator and not enough fan.

Thermostate

Let it cool then change the thermostat. There are 4 bolts! One is very difficult to see! Make sure the system is bleed well. Does the high speed fan come on? It is hydraulic. Runs off the powersteering.
Ok, I'll order a new one and try it. What the heck. I'll try anything. As far as bleeding. That's something u never did. Is that necessary and if so how do u do it? I know there is a bleeder in the Thermo housing but never knew u had to do that. U would think that after the water is circulating that should b good enough

I let her run till it started boiling the water back into the reserve tank. I lasered the water out let and it was up to 245. The lower rad hose was 247. Seems awful hot to me. It was boiling the water out the top of the reserve tank.
What if a person took out the stat completely?? Anyone ever tried that?
Hey, also, thanks.

If you take the stat out completely it will make things worse. The water will circulate to quickly not giving enough time in the rad for the coolant to cool down.
To check the stat, first hang it by a wire in a pot of water. The wire can't impede the stat operation. The stat can't touch the side or bottom of the pot. Put the kitchen stove on high & start to heat the pot/water. Use a kitchen/meat type thermometer (only) to monitor the temp. Once you reach the target temp (say 180deg) it should start to open. Run the temp up to be sure it says open.

Pics

Possible stuck thermostat. Have any more info on when & how it over heats? Can you post some pics of the rad & fan you are running?

I can post some pics. Never done before. Can u telle how

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back