Anybody know anything about GIS/Water Treatment?

OCBob

VIPER POWERED
Reaction score
Yeah, I know they are 2 completely different things, hehe.

Anyway, I was looking through the new courses for the fall semester at the local college. I figure I might as well be taking some courses, they are pretty cheap here in Cali. I will probably take a couple of online courses, that would lead towards eventually finishing my degree, maybe even by the time I'm 50 hehehe.

So, as I was looking through what they had to offer a couple of courses/subjects jumped out at me as potential career chances.

The first was GIS or Geographic Information Systems. Seems like in todays age of GPS that this might be something worth really looking into. Just wondering if anyone had any info on education or the job market in this field.

I also so come courses on Water Operations, seems again that this is something that we will always need and was wondering the same about this field.

I will do some looking around myself, just figured somebody here might have some firsthand (or even secondhand) info.

And I found this funny as hell. While looking at the online courses (the ones above would be onsite, but they have evenings/weekends available), anyway looking at the online courses I saw this one:

COMM 103 Interpersonal Communication

It struck me as funny that they would offer this class online, where you will have virtually no interpersonal communication with the class ehehe.

I did look at some of the IT classes, but I really think that I want out of that field anyway. It's not the same as it was 10 years ago, it's lost it's luster, at least for me.

It's aka GeoSpatial Information System, and would be an interesting career choice. I agree that with all of the new technology it seems that GIS would be a growing field. I can't say if it is or not, but I know that from what I have seen of it, it would be a pretty cool job.

I am still working on getting back into FEMA on a temporary basis, and the job would be in GIS. :D

I really don't know too much about it. I can tell you that it would be very helpful to understand maps and map coordinates, and I would think that a former Marine would have no problems with that!!;)

Good luck in whatever you choose!!!

The GIS field can be very lucrative both in the civilian sector and within the DOD. The field is also growing at a rapid pace and the discipline is finding new application all the time.

I've been an imagery/GIS analyst for about ten years now and just recently came off a contract supporting the National Geo-spatial Intelligence Agency.

OCBob said:
Yeah, I know they are 2 completely different things, hehe.

Anyway, I was looking through the new courses for the fall semester at the local college. I figure I might as well be taking some courses, they are pretty cheap here in Cali. I will probably take a couple of online courses, that would lead towards eventually finishing my degree, maybe even by the time I'm 50 hehehe.

So, as I was looking through what they had to offer a couple of courses/subjects jumped out at me as potential career chances.

The first was GIS or Geographic Information Systems. Seems like in todays age of GPS that this might be something worth really looking into. Just wondering if anyone had any info on education or the job market in this field.

I also so come courses on Water Operations, seems again that this is something that we will always need and was wondering the same about this field.

I will do some looking around myself, just figured somebody here might have some firsthand (or even secondhand) info.

And I found this funny as hell. While looking at the online courses (the ones above would be onsite, but they have evenings/weekends available), anyway looking at the online courses I saw this one:

COMM 103 Interpersonal Communication

It struck me as funny that they would offer this class online, where you will have virtually no interpersonal communication with the class ehehe.

I did look at some of the IT classes, but I really think that I want out of that field anyway. It's not the same as it was 10 years ago, it's lost it's luster, at least for me.

BOB, Looks to me like the most lucrative career field today is to

just go around renting stadiums and conference halls then stand there

and bellow, CHANGE, CHANGE, CHANGE!!!
:p

OCBob, I actually am taking GIS next semester and know a girl that got an internship with Devon Energy for GIS this summer and the internship is paying 17$ an hour, not bad for a college internship at all.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back