Anyone have DirecTV

shade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered it but now I am having second thoughts reading the online reviews. I have an install date for tomorrow and after reading the reviews I'm ready to go postal....
Need some input!

I have direct tv here in my trailer @ the rig just because the satellite is easier to tune in (i move and re-set it usually every 7 days) than say dish network. But i have dish @ home and i like it better, but as far as customer service goes they both suck.

The dish unit works better in bad weather due to being set on 3 satellites but the direct (which is set one 1) unit ant too bad either. Pic quality on clear days is the same. Dish has sirrius radio & direct has xm. I think you should be fine if its installed & hooked up right.

I have direct tv. I switched over from cable because I heard direct tv was all the rage. To tell you the truth I think it's way over priced. I dont like how all the channels i watch are all over the place. I Think its for professional tv watchers who spend hours infront of the tube imo.
This is what i miss;
having cable acces in the garage
Not having thru flip thru 300 channels just to go from comedy to speedvision
Using my oem remote

but thats just me

No offense guys, but if you'd simply memorize your favorite channels or create a "favorites list" of stations... you'd be done with it..

I've had Direct TV since the late 80's if memory serves...... It's pricey but worth it..... anything that's on TV is on DIRECTV...so yer not gonna miss anything....

Yes, it goes out if yer experiencing a bloody downpour....a gullywashing, frog-strangling rain...... But that only lasts for a coupla minutes...BFD.

I am sticking with DIRECTV......

D

I have had Directv for about 6 years now and I am happy. I memorized my favorite channels and I can surf them pretty quickly. However the customer service does suck, but no where near as bad as Comcast sucks.
I have a package called total choice plus, I also added the outdoor channel and a second receiver and TV, it costs me $52.98 a month, which is less than what I was paying Comcast.

Bill.

I had (still have actually) dish network for over 8 years, and not a single problem or outage. I believe direct tv is just as good. I now have att uverse at home, which sucks my balls. it's out all the time. the picture is amazing, but hell if I have to wait 45 minutes for the box to reboot every couple of days then I might have to hook the dish network receiver back up!

I have had DirecTV for about a year. Pretty good on the channels and I enjoy the HD DVR but their service (call in service) sucks.

It has to rain pretty hard for our picture to start pixelating. But we watch about 90% of our tv from the DVR so we are not waiting for rain to go away. You can read more about DirecTV and other satellite providers here --> LINK

Oh, and on my HD-DVR it came with over the air (OTA) input which allowed me to connect an outside antenna up in the attic to get my locals in HD. Can I WOW!!! It is amazing the difference in the HD channels!

I've had DirectTV in the past, and I didn't like the service.... If you live with snow in the winter, it will go out in a storm.

I have Brighthouse Digital Cable w/ HD and a DVR and absolutely LOVE it..... The cable internet kicks major ass too. :rock:

I've had Direct TV for quite some time, the new HD DVR is awesome, I can hook my laptop up to it and record DVD's directly from it, or save a movie to the hard drive, then bring it down to the laptop and DVD at a later time. It has never gone out since we had it installed, not even in the bad rain storms with the three inch winds we get here.

I've had every service available over the last several years, with the exception of "Crimestar", although I personally modified one of their 1 meter dishes to work with Dish Network. I NEVER lost signal. EVER!

I was a Dish Network dealer, and have sold and installed DirecTV as well.

What I have now, and what I like best, is DirecTV. I just bought another HD DVR from Weaknees.com, upgraded with double the hard disk capacity.

I have total choice, plus all of the movie channels. I'm never at a loss for something cool to watch, and the HD selection is going to quadruple in the next few months.

Who cares about the customer service. I never have to call them anyway.:D

Ram From Hell said:
I've had every service available over the last several years, with the exception of "Crimestar", although I personally modified one of their 1 meter dishes to work with Dish Network. I NEVER lost signal. EVER!

I was a Dish Network dealer, and have sold and installed DirecTV as well.

What I have now, and what I like best, is DirecTV. I just bought another HD DVR from Weaknees.com, upgraded with double the hard disk capacity.

I have total choice, plus all of the movie channels. I'm never at a loss for something cool to watch, and the HD selection is going to quadruple in the next few months.

Who cares about the customer service. I never have to call them anyway.:D

Yup.........................

D

I have direct TV at the house and dish network at my card room above one of my business locations. Dish has one advantage since they can give me local channels but the reception is pretty poor on those channels. If you want HD on the local channels you have to put up your own HD antenna. Dish has more HD channels right now also. You can only get NFL sunday ticket on direct TV. ALso if you do it right you can get the east and west coast feeds of the major networks on direct TV. If you want to watch the superbowl in HD you can't with dish network where I live. I would pick direct TV over dish in my situation.

I've had directv for several years. Within the last 3 weeks or so many many more HD channels have come online. SpeedTV just went HD last week. Like some have mentioned, during thunderstorms or very heavy rain sometimes the signal will go out but it only lasts as long as the storm. I think HD programming is $9.99 a month on top of whatever else programming you choose. I'm pretty happy with it, especially now that the HD channels are being added each week. I dont get local channels however.

Direct tv is the better way to go- i have had it since 1994 and love it- i get all my sports packages and my locals and everything else now in HD- they just launched the newest satelite and i get mass hd channels now.

So awesome to get real opinions. I got the HD DVR and my locals are available in my area. I'm getting the HD dish so do I need to get the OTA antenna to get my locals in HD? I'm sticking with my local cable company for Internet its damn fast. Loves those idiots' internet.
Oh I got Sunday NFL so I told the wife this Sunday leave my alone I'm watching football until my damn eyes pop out.
Thanks for all the input everyone.

shade said:
So awesome to get real opinions. I got the HD DVR and my locals are available in my area. I'm getting the HD dish so do I need to get the OTA antenna to get my locals in HD? I'm sticking with my local cable company for Internet its damn fast. Loves those idiots' internet.
Oh I got Sunday NFL so I told the wife this Sunday leave my alone I'm watching football until my damn eyes pop out.
Thanks for all the input everyone.

I did some research on the antenna and they said (obviously) that outside antennas are better but if you are going with one that is going to hang in the rafters in the attic you might want to check out Channel Masters stuff. --> LINK

I tried a radio shack and a walmart antenna and neither one could pick up all of the channels.

This is another good website that tells you what direction to point the antenna --> LINK

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back