autometer fuel pressure gauge going skitzo!

mr. anderson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmmm. I think the sender in my fuel pressure gauge is going wacky. the fuel pressure jumps randomly. from down to 45psi up to 75psi irratically and randomly. I wonder if the excessive fuel pressure from the boost pumps from the paxton kit messed up the pressure sending unit. anyone experience this at first I just thought it was the variance of pressure because of the paxton boost-a-pumps.

I am now on the stock fuel pump only and the larger injectors.

guess I'm off to poop boys to find a cheap fuel pressure gaugeto verify the fuel pressure is good before I buy another sending unit. their a $100 a piece! hopefully it isn't the stock fuel pump!

mr. anderson said:
hmmm. I think the sender in my fuel pressure gauge is going wacky. the fuel pressure jumps randomly. from down to 45psi up to 75psi irratically and randomly. I wonder if the excessive fuel pressure from the boost pumps from the paxton kit messed up the pressure sending unit. anyone experience this at first I just thought it was the variance of pressure because of the paxton boost-a-pumps.

I am now on the stock fuel pump only and the larger injectors.

guess I'm off to poop boys to find a cheap fuel pressure gaugeto verify the fuel pressure is good before I buy another sending unit. their a $100 a piece! hopefully it isn't the stock fuel pump!

If you find a cheap mechanical unit,You could just tap into your test port on the fuel rail,Just don't forget to remove the shrader valve first.Is your fuel gauge still under warr.?

1qksrt, I am running this gauge off the test port,

well I did checked the fuel pressure sending unit. it has good voltage 5VDC, and the voltage sits at 2.7VDC with the truck on but not running, around 58 PSI, with the truck on and running the voltage goes up to 2.8VDC +/- .05VDC, so that tells me the sending unit is good, with the nexus gauges not sure if the issue could be the sensor unit.(nexus gauges have a main "brain" unit and the data goes to the gauges on a canbus).

well the truck died! ZERO fuel pressure. guess the fuel pump was actually bad.

I like the way you are doing things anderson:rock: :rock:

nothing better than getting your hands dirty and figuring things out like you are:congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

well, don't pat me on the back to hard, I just took the truck in to get the fuel pump replaced:D:D:D, I would do it but I have a warrentee still:D:D:D, the dodge dealership here is cool and won't deny warrentee work just cause you have an aftermarket cold air induction system, like mine:D. actually the service rep was cool, since the fuel system was untouched in the fuel tank, they won't have a problem if the fuel pump actually went bad.

mr. anderson said:
well, don't pat me on the back to hard, I just took the truck in to get the fuel pump replaced:D:D:D, I would do it but I have a warrentee still:D:D:D, the dodge dealership here is cool and won't deny warrentee work just cause you have an aftermarket cold air induction system, like mine:D. actually the service rep was cool, since the fuel system was untouched in the fuel tank, they won't have a problem if the fuel pump actually went bad.
yeah but you are hard at it under the hood bud:congrats: :congrats:

having someone replace it for free.............thats just good smarts:D

also, I was thinking that maybe my multimeter wasn't "quick" enough to sample the voltage changes. maybe an old school analog simpson 260 woulda caught the voltage changes. I still love those things!

stinker, for the most part I always do my own stuff, when I can or is cost effective!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back