B&M shifter problem?

fastbill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
having a problem with my shifter. B&M model. any sort of hard or quick shift to third misses third and shifter handle itself seems like it goes a little farther than it should, alomost locked in between 3rd and 5th, but tranny is in neutral. Have to pull handle down into neutral and shake it back and forth to get it to re engage, (by then the competition is just about catching up, lol). Anyone experience this? Is it relatively common or just an adjustment needing to be made?

Slightly loosen the 4 bolts that secure the shifter base to the tranny, shift thru all gears 12 or 15 times then tighten the bolts. Seems to recenter the shifter.

FATJACK said:
Slightly loosen the 4 bolts that secure the shifter base to the tranny, shift thru all gears 12 or 15 times then tighten the bolts. Seems to recenter the shifter.

:dito:

cool, thanks guys. Yes, master and slave upgraded to true Viper parts. Will do the above adjustments and see what happens. Thanks again.

well, checked all four bolts. They were all still in one piece, and pretty tight. l loosened them a touch and went through the gears as suggested. (does it have to be running to get into R?) Then l figured since l was there, l might as well just pull it out and make sure it all looked ok. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary, about a half inch or so of fluid in the bottom of the cavity under the shifter mech, but all looked as normal as l would've expected. Bolt bosses and threads looked good and intact, shifter base looked true and flat. Retightened bolts after snugging them slightly and going through gears again to recenter it. Retightened everything and buttoned up console and boot again, but couldn't take for a test drive to see if it worked or not yet. Prob take it out quick tomorrow and see how it is. Thanks again guys; hope l fixed whatever it was... since it's easier to just ask on here, how do l check fluid level in tranny? ls there a plug on side to remove and check?

fastbill said:
well, checked all four bolts. They were all still in one piece, and pretty tight. l loosened them a touch and went through the gears as suggested. (does it have to be running to get into R?) Then l figured since l was there, l might as well just pull it out and make sure it all looked ok. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary, about a half inch or so of fluid in the bottom of the cavity under the shifter mech, but all looked as normal as l would've expected. Bolt bosses and threads looked good and intact, shifter base looked true and flat. Retightened bolts after snugging them slightly and going through gears again to recenter it. Retightened everything and buttoned up console and boot again, but couldn't take for a test drive to see if it worked or not yet. Prob take it out quick tomorrow and see how it is. Thanks again guys; hope l fixed whatever it was... since it's easier to just ask on here, how do l check fluid level in tranny? ls there a plug on side to remove and check?
plug on the drivers side, bout half way up, remove and stick ya finger in it:D get fluid........ya good.

did ya check the bolts that connects the shifter lever to the shifter? thats the one that broke an came loose on mine

Happened to me the other night .First time and hopefully last.
However I was under a LOT of stress.After I got it home and well hid in the back yard ,I calmed down quite a bit.;) ;) :D :D

fastbill said:
Hey Stinker, l did check the two bolts on the handle; both good and tight. Thanks again...
cool beans bud:) LOLOL i took mine out twice before I noticed it,LOLOL dang I felt dumb:D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back