B & M Shifter problem

HV SRT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started having problems finding gears and there was alot of play , even in gear. This started when I was on vacation last week. Monday I pulled the shifter out and the clear plastic gasket was melted to the point where it was gone on one side. That caused the 4 bolts to start to loosen up. I made a new gasket out of header gasket material. Was just wondering if anybody else has had this problem. I guess the two days I road raced in july and august with temps at around 100 degrees melted the gasket.

i would definitely locktite the bolts so they dont come loose again. as far as finding gears and the play in the gear i would think it would be the bushing that the end of the shifter sits in is worn down too much. other than that might be something internal.

Glad you got it figured out... hasn't happened to mine, yet.

How does the truck do on the road course???

For a 5200 pound truck it does great. I was timed at 1:42 per lap and a guy I know has a 911 and his times are 1:26. One of my employees has a bike and his lap time is 1:19. This winter I'm going to up grade the swaybars and shocks so I can keep up with the 911. I know alot of people just want to drag race our trucks but road racing is so much fun more should do it.

HV SRT said:
For a 5200 pound truck it does great. I was timed at 1:42 per lap and a guy I know has a 911 and his times are 1:26. One of my employees has a bike and his lap time is 1:19. This winter I'm going to up grade the swaybars and shocks so I can keep up with the 911. I know alot of people just want to drag race our trucks but road racing is so much fun more should do it.

:rock: :rock: :rock: Very vool. It does look like fun:burnout: Might have to give it a try some day.

I would love to try a road course in my truck. We had a GTG this spring at the "Tail of the Dragon" Highway in the foothills of the Smokey Mountains and we were all surprised at how well the trucks handled the tight curves.

LoveThisTruck said:
:rock: :rock: :rock: Very vool. It does look like fun:burnout: Might have to give it a try some day.
Let me know when and we can meet at Willows in norcal sometime.

Jack I don't any tracks in your neck of the woods but post some pics when you go.

HV SRT said:

Jack I don't any tracks in your neck of the woods but post some pics when you go.

Fo shizzle:D

i hope this dosen't happen to mine... i tried to take my shifter out and the bolts will NOT come out at all

It happen to me twice, i happens if you don't tighten the the bolts down all the way.

Is this the short throw shifter? If so this isn't the type of thread I need to be seeing since I wanted to move to a short throw.. I may have to stay with my trusty X-metal GenII after all to avoid this issue..

HV SRT said:

Are you talking about Thunderhill outside of Willows? I used to roadrace there...I was very happy when I broke 1:55 on my Aprilia but that was a few years ago. I've heard 1:50 is the target now. My C5 vette got into the 2:10's but that was modified quite a bit with suspension work.

Chuck B said:
Are you talking about Thunderhill outside of Willows? I used to roadrace there...I was very happy when I broke 1:55 on my Aprilia but that was a few years ago. I've heard 1:50 is the target now. My C5 vette got into the 2:10's but that was modified quite a bit with suspension work.
Thats the track. Never been there but looks like a fun place to drive. Only about 8 hrs from my house.

Venom Power said:
Is this the short throw shifter? If so this isn't the type of thread I need to be seeing since I wanted to move to a short throw.. I may have to stay with my trusty X-metal GenII after all to avoid this issue..
Yes it is the short throw shifter. The bolts only came loose because the gasket between the shifter and tranny melted. I had a x-metal and did not like it.

HV SRT said:
I started having problems finding gears and there was alot of play , even in gear. This started when I was on vacation last week. Monday I pulled the shifter out and the clear plastic gasket was melted to the point where it was gone on one side. That caused the 4 bolts to start to loosen up. I made a new gasket out of header gasket material. Was just wondering if anybody else has had this problem. I guess the two days I road raced in july and august with temps at around 100 degrees melted the gasket.

When i installed my B&M, I thought about scrapping the plastic gasket as well and just using some hi-temp RTV silicone to seal the shifter to the trans base. Thats what was used to seal my Hurst when I pulled it for replacement. So far my B&M is holding up OK as a daily driver and for the past several weeks it was hot as he!! around here.

HV SRT said:
Yes it is the short throw shifter. The bolts only came loose because the gasket between the shifter and tranny melted. I had a x-metal and did not like it.

Well then, it appears evident to me that if I like my X-Metal GenII.. Then I'm sure to love this short throw unit..

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back