Back fire, seems to be getting worse

94rt10ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My mods are on my car domian link.... Also add a 7lb pulley from Kyle as of tonight.

It seems the backfire is getting worse. I know this is just raw fuel making it to the pipes. At the same time I am also scared to ask Roe for a leaner tune as we know what will happen next, or should I say sooner....

Guess I will have to live with it, just thought I would toss it out there and see if anyone else has done anything to make it a little better.

Last edited:
After my tune was done last May the loud backfiring had all but disappeared...in the last few weeks I have noticed it slowly coming back...I am wondering if maybe our PCMs are trying to adapt to the new tunes?.....I added some octane booster yesterday and flashed in the 100 octane tune from my SCT.....I had been running the 93 tune.....backfire is gone with the 100 tune..:dontknow:

I am also wondering about the plugs if a hotter plug would help given the plugs I have now are the platinums that Roe ships with the kit.

If your theroy is corrent shouldn't pulling the power for a while put your smart azz PCM back to May? :)

Last edited:
I will flash back to the 93 tune next time I gas up.....if it starts backfiring again i will do the battery disconnect.....I am wanting to find out if flashing resets adaptive..:dontknow: .........

Guys over the past few years of running the turbos I have found out two things,

One the plugs only last around 5000 miles tops, mine seem to go out around 3000

but due to underhood heat, my wires also seem to start breaking down also.

when the wires start breaking down i get a slight burble, or miss, or stumble , however you would like to describe it, right off throttle, in other words if you are cruising and just lightly press the throttle to pick up 2-4 mph, but under full throttle everything seems fine.

but it acts as tho it is rich as a pig at light throttle, causing backfiring, and heavy black smoke at times.

might be something to check if ya havent replaced these things in awhile

Stinker said:
Guys over the past few years of running the turbos I have found out two things,

One the plugs only last around 5000 miles tops, mine seem to go out around 3000

but due to underhood heat, my wires also seem to start breaking down also.

when the wires start breaking down i get a slight burble, or miss, or stumble , however you would like to describe it, right off throttle, in other words if you are cruising and just lightly press the throttle to pick up 2-4 mph, but under full throttle everything seems fine.

but it acts as tho it is rich as a pig at light throttle, causing backfiring, and heavy black smoke at times.

might be something to check if ya havent replaced these things in awhile

Bingo.....Thanks stink.....this is another thing I have noticed...I have replaced the plugs recently but not the wires......how often do you think wires need changing?..

TNVIPER said:
Bingo.....Thanks stink.....this is another thing I have noticed...I have replaced the plugs recently but not the wires......how often do you think wires need changing?..

man I dont know, because my situation is a little different , my turbos sit right on top of the valve covers. but i would think the imense heat the SC'r and the turbos put out may be the same:dontknow:

The bad thing is our ignition system leaves alot to be desired, it really dont give enough fire to work with these engines, and strains the wires an plugs.

I think the wires break down a bit more often than most think when forced induction.

I would say around less than 10,000 miles:dontknow:

eddie has the same problem right now, but think of it this way.

Have you changed anything?

if not then "something" must be breaking down.

the tune itself should not have changed, and a new set of plugs does wonders.
but if they dont do the fix, then i would think on wires,

this time I am trying the wires that prof has , which basically all they are is msd wires with sheathing, to keep the heat off a tad.

so basically if you do change wires, get some type of heat sheathing to mayb protect the wires a little longer.

i eddies case, i think what happened is the wires laid too close to the headers and broke down on the inside of the wire,, and causing a slight miss at part throttle.

Stinker said:
eddie has the same problem right now, but think of it this way.

Have you changed anything?

if not then "something" must be breaking down.

the tune itself should not have changed, and a new set of plugs does wonders.
but if they dont do the fix, then i would think on wires,

this time I am trying the wires that prof has , which basically all they are is msd wires with sheathing, to keep the heat off a tad.

so basically if you do change wires, get some type of heat sheathing to mayb protect the wires a little longer.

i eddies case, i think what happened is the wires laid too close to the headers and broke down on the inside of the wire,, and causing a slight miss at part throttle.

flashing the 100 octane tune did stop the backfiring but not the stumble and slight miss you mentioned..:dontknow:

You know it could be the temp change also , depending on when you actually first had it tuned, but then the Vec III should compensate for that I would think:dontknow:

just a FYI if you use race gas and platinum plugs:

"Because platinum alloys are extremely resistant to corrosion, oxidation, and melting, they are used in the electrodes of long-life spark plugs. Since platinum spark plugs cost more, racers often think they are better, but the opposite is true. Platinum does not react well with leaded race fuel and often allows a coating to form that creates a shunt path and a cylinder misfire. In this application, the standard material or a newer copper-core spark plug outperforms a high-dollar platinum design."

also while platinum plugs can be used in low boost applications. I would consider going to a copper core or iridium plug, as copper is less prone in detonation in a boosted application and an iridium plug requires less voltage to produce a spark and is another reason why it works well in boosted apps.

good advice sir, thank you:rock:

I tried three or four differnt types of plugs, but end the end still went back to a standard NGK, it seems to last the longest and give the best service so far.

I dont rarely ever run race fuel, but do push 13psi on the street tune with premium fuel only.

but around 3000 miles i can definitly tell a big difference in the performance, i actually can tell a bigger difference after I have replaced them , and have never dynoed to comfirm it, but to be such a big seat of the pants feel it has to be 25 or more hp.

i know On my racebikes, I got used to changing them after every weekend, it made about an 11rwhp difference inthem

Stinker said:
You know it could be the temp change also , depending on when you actually first had it tuned, but then the Vec III should compensate for that I would think:dontknow:

I converted to the SCT..;)

does the SCt compesate for the air temps?

I'll be honest bro, i try to stay away from tuning;)

i dont want to make things have windows and be my fault , i tuned my bikes forever and Joanne is actually a ton better than most guys, but with these expensive engines i jsut dont dare, I havent even looked to see what degree timing mine has:p

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back