Battery Relocation - Hesitant Start (Video)

Carlwalski said:
Normal for these trucks with batteries in the front or with relocated batteries? Mine never used to start like this so it's not normal to me. However, if this is "normal" for relocated batteries then I could perhaps let it slide if everyone else and their relocated batteries start like this. Does that extra second cranking hurt the starter motor? :dontknow:
your taking voltage an sending it twenty feet carl, it will drop from front to back, and the voltage depends on the battery itself, but yes over time, a strained crankng starter does take a toll

FerrariTruck said:
it can only be 1 of 3 things.

Defective battery, needs to be load tested.. The fact that it drops to 10v tells me its no good if there are no volt drops anywhere else.

Dont believe the hype with drycell batterys. They dont have anywhere near the life of reg batterys under normal conditions, Ive seen many dry cell batteries fail and drop cells.

Another thing that alot of people over look is grounds... On my other cars with the battery in the back I like to weld to a bolt to the frame and connect the cable to that stud. NOT drill a hole and then tighten with a bolt but WELDED.
I also like to use 0-1 guage cable. For negative.

I also recommend welding a bolt to the frame and running a ground cable from the engine to that bolt..

this is the sure fire way of not having battery issues.

Now, another Item that you should adress is heat soak... I know your running long tube headers, Is your starter protected from the extra heat?
Thanks for the tips! Heat soak shouldn't be a problem, it never had this issue with the battery up front and that was without the headers been coated in HPC which drops temps up to 500C underhood. As far as I can tell, starter, alternator and all grounds are fine. 2 auto sparkies confirmed it's not the grounds. That leaves me the battery (which is my thought) and yeah lol that's where I'm at LOL. I have talked to a mate and hes going to get a new red top battery and lend it to me to try. If it works perfectly, then we know it's the battery. What I don't understand is why it's so inconsistent. Would bad grounds etc mean it either started or didn't??

JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE said:
your taking voltage an sending it twenty feet carl, it will drop from front to back, and the voltage depends on the battery itself, but yes over time, a strained crankng starter does take a toll
Yes but as mentioned in my first post, there is no drop in volts. 12.8 front, 12.8 rear. I do see your point with the delay. Crank is also the same, no loss or drop in voltage. I can see maybe .5 to 1 volt drop as normal though but this isn't even dropping any lol. That's why I'm so baffeled. One thing points to another and that thing ends up being OK lol.

So who here has the same kit or one like it? How is your starting??

Carlwalski said:
Yes but as mentioned in my first post, there is no drop in volts. 12.8 front, 12.8 rear. I do see your point with the delay. Crank is also the same, no loss or drop in voltage. I can see maybe .5 to 1 volt drop as normal though but this isn't even dropping any lol. That's why I'm so baffeled. One thing points to another and that thing ends up being OK lol.

So who here has the same kit or one like it? How is your starting??
mine starts fine, it has no engine to turn over:D

FATJACK said:
Carl have you had the starter checked yet?
Not yet bud, I will if it comes to that and the other avenues fail.
It seems fine and is working good when it gets the correct voltage from the battery.

I had the JMB kit in my truck, with a red top, and had the EXACT same problem. Thought I was going to have to have the truck towed 500 miles back home, turned out to be a bad ground connection. I had 15-20 of the best SRT10 guys working on it, took almost 3 hours to track it down. If a new battery doesn't fix it, start checking the grounds.

labontecsi said:
I had the JMB kit in my truck, with a red top, and had the EXACT same problem. Thought I was going to have to have the truck towed 500 miles back home, turned out to be a bad ground connection. I had 15-20 of the best SRT10 guys working on it, took almost 3 hours to track it down. If a new battery doesn't fix it, start checking the grounds.
Thank you Sir, roger that! ;)

Last edited:
I just triple checked all the grounds. Engine, battery, chassis grounds, all are fine. I took them off and sanded/filed them back to pure bare steel, same as the bolts, washers etc, overboard but I didn't want to leave anything to chance. After an hour of doing the grounds, I hop in and - fail lol. Still hesitant. The 1st start up was but the 2 after that (2 in 3 minutes) were normal. That's what's annoying,t the inconsistency of it all. Arrggggh!!!!!!! If the new battery fails, I am going to try the battery in the front again. Frustrating to say the very least.

Forgot to ask, what or how do I test the starter motor?? Volt meter or some other means?

I put one of Justin's battery kits in the red truck and it did exactly what yours is doing.

Finally it came back to the red top Optima and when I replaced it everything was fine.

FSTJACK said:
I put one of Justin's battery kits in the red truck and it did exactly what yours is doing.

Finally it came back to the red top Optima and when I replaced it everything was fine.
Interesting and good to know! I sure hope a new battery sorts this out!
Did you replace the Optima with another red top or did you go for something else?

I have relocated my battery with the JMB kit too. I also have an Optima Red Top.

Mine is stored for the winter (since early December). I have started it twice since December and let it idle for about 30 minutes. No hesitation in either case.

Carl, I just have to think it is the battery...batteries sometimes are just bad...bet if you put a new one in it will solve the problem...

Prof said:
I have relocated my battery with the JMB kit too. I also have an Optima Red Top.

Mine is stored for the winter (since early December). I have started it twice since December and let it idle for about 30 minutes. No hesitation in either case.

Carl, I just have to think it is the battery...batteries sometimes are just bad...bet if you put a new one in it will solve the problem...
Thanks Prof, I sure hope so bud. I just want it how it used to be, instant and crisp. :eek: My only problem is, if it is the battery, since I'm "borrowing" a shop one to test, they will take it back once we know. That means I have to buy my own since these stupid mofos at the battery shop (Optima agents) won't take it back as it "passed" their little bench tests. I'll probably rark them up in person and tell them it had to be the battery as I tried a new one and it worked. If that doesn't work, I'll count to 10 and walk away LOL. But, I have the receipt and it's a 1 year warranty which I'm covered for (4th of March, talk about a fine line). But, I'm well within my rights and for $740 it's worth taking it legally further if they don't comply.

I hate having a weak battery...so replacing them every year or two is what I do regardless of the condition of the battery...just not willing to put up with the chance of failure.

I have four in my boat and those are even more nerve racking...I just replace them if I can't remember when I bought them...one hesitation on starting and out they go.

I agree Prof and I similar although not quite as hardcore in this instance lol. However, the thing that has me baffled is, prior to the battery being relocated, it worked 100% fine, perfect, never any hesitation AT ALL. Now I move it and it hesitates periodically? The only thing I can think of, that it would be the batteries fault, is when I took it out for a 35-40 days and just let it sit while I did the engine bay. But, I mean, that's scraping the barrel at best lol. We checked it prior to starting it up for the 1st time after that period and it was at 12.1V. Maybe if shit itself during that time? Maybe a cell went crook? I have no idea, seems awfully coincidental though.

No battery expert here...but using a battery every day is in my mind the best environment for a battery.

Letting it sit for any period of time is not what it is designed to do. I bet that the period that it set while you cleaned up your engine, was enough of a degrading opportunity to bring the battery below its optimum starting amps...if you let it sit it reverts to its normal surge capability, which is now lower than before. But if you use it, the maximum surge capability stays a little higher until it sits for a day or two...then it degrades and does not have quite the surge capability...and it also now has that longer reach to overcome...

Get the new battery...its just money.

Prof said:
No battery expert here...but using a battery every day is in my mind the best environment for a battery.

Letting it sit for any period of time is not what it is designed to do. I bet that the period that it set while you cleaned up your engine, was enough of a degrading opportunity to bring the battery below its optimum starting amps...if you let it sit it reverts to its normal surge capability, which is now lower than before. But if you use it, the maximum surge capability stays a little higher until it sits for a day or two...then it degrades and does not have quite the surge capability...and it also now has that longer reach to overcome...

Get the new battery...its just money.
Just money lol I'd have a new house, more cars and better food if it were "just money" LOL I agree, 100% about using the batteries. In my challenger I have a trickle charger that keeps it topped up and that works a treat. All my other cars get used so the battery never sits for more than 2-3 days. If I haven't driven it for a week for what ever reason, I start it up and let it idle/rev and hold to 2,000rpm for 10 minutes or so. If the battery is at fault and a new battery is needed, then a new battery I will get, no question. But I'll continue my testing until such a time. I should know in 2 or 3 days what's what, hopefully. I'll post my findings here.

I did the same relocation in my Mustang awhile back and had exactly the same problem you are having. I installed larger wires to the battery and the problem was solved. If I remember correctly i think I just doubled up on the same wire size instead of running a 2/0 or something like that.
If the battery was working before this happened it should still be working after unless of course it was on its last leg.Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back