belt noise

mgwarrior350

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So i have read through all the posts about the 04 crank bolt noise. My truck just started and my question is should I just take it and tighten it or bring it to the dealer incase it did more damage then just coming loose. Is there anyway to tell besides taking it all apart?

take a look at it while its running...is it wobbling? its an easy fix, if you catch it in time. just remove the bolt and put some blue loc-tite on it and retorque (don't remember the torque figure off hand)

So I took a look and I don't see any movement. Took it out today to listen and here's what I found. When its stopped with the clutch in the truck doesn't make a noise. It doesn't make noise at low rpm. It only makes the whine when I'm above 2k rpm and it increases with higher rpms. Idk if that helps figure out what it can be. I just hate to bring it to the dealer if its something stupid.

idler pulley? try spraying a little wd-40 behind the pulley where it meets the shaft/bearing and drive it again (don't get any on the belt) maybe idler bearing is going south.

I just crawled under there and the crank bolt was a little loose but not enough to give the pulley any play. So im assuming the idler pulley is going bad so I will try that one out.

just tried the wd40 on the idler and its still making the noise. Could the idler be in that bad of condition that it wont make a difference if i use wd40. Also its not at idle that I hear the belt its when im giving it throttle.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back