Best oil??

Cbailey8971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 04 rc and have a noisy engine too I live in md what weight of oil and brand is recommended by everyone to help with the noise and wear? Help would be appreciated. Thanks

What type of noise? Oil itself won't stop engine noise unless there's nothing in the pan. When your in the middle of nowhere and find nothing on the stick any oil is better than none. Factory recommends 0W40 or 5W40. Some run up to 15W40 to 20W50 but mostly in The hotter climates. Synthetic oil is mandatory.

I ran 15W-50 and it was like night and day difference. Don't run it during the cold months though. I am currently using 5W-40 for winter.

84,000+ miles on Mobile One 15x50----funny how everybody want's to change what the guys that built the engine recommend. Read your dip stick, it tells ya what to run.

04 was recommended to use 10-30 mobil 1
05 and up recommends 0-40 mobil 1
those are manufacture's recommendation

I use the Pennzoil SRT 0w-40 in both my SRT-10 and Jeep SRT
lots of viper guys use 15-50

our injectors make a very loud ticking noise, you might just be hearing the injectors.

I could be a rare case, but with 120,000 miles, full bolt ons, at least a few hundred passes at the track and Mexico, and never been inside the engine at all is awesome for an engine of this caliber. I sent an oil analysis at 100,000 and there were no signs of bearing wear or foreign metals in my sample. I'm very pleased with the engine and Mobil1 for protecting it. Mine has run 15/50 since 20,000 miles so it's protected 100k miles of hard driving, 20*-105* temps and a few mis shifts into first instead of 3rd, lmao.
Mobil1 FTW in my book and my customers.:burnout:

Great info everyone . The only other question I have is it can get very cold here in the winter would 15/50 still be ok for this climate?

I personally wouldn't run 15/50 below 30* temps. You can switch oil weight from summer and winter months.

I could be a rare case, but with 120,000 miles, full bolt ons, at least a few hundred passes at the track and Mexico, and never been inside the engine at all is awesome for an engine of this caliber. I sent an oil analysis at 100,000 and there were no signs of bearing wear or foreign metals in my sample. I'm very pleased with the engine and Mobil1 for protecting it. Mine has run 15/50 since 20,000 miles so it's protected 100k miles of hard driving, 20*-105* temps and a few mis shifts into first instead of 3rd, lmao.
Mobil1 FTW in my book and my customers.:burnout:

Ha, I remember when I did it trying to hit that 2 - 3 shift and bang it into first and my truck nose dive like I hit the brakes talk about heart attack. I also looked like an azz as I was trying to show off too. :rofl:

Ha, I remember when I did it trying to hit that 2 - 3 shift and bang it into first and my truck nose dive like I hit the brakes talk about heart attack. I also looked like an azz as I was trying to show off too. :rofl:

Yeah I was on the track on slicks! Luckily my reactions are fast and I clutched in quickly. That time it threw my pressure plate outta whack. Second time was on street and still got lucky. You can soon the engine into oblivion this way

I personally wouldn't run 15/50 below 30* temps. You can switch oil weight from summer and winter months.

Probably gets below 30 here maybe 5 times a year and up to 60 the same day. No prolonged under 30 so the real cold in just not a consideration for me. But I have been thinking of running 10x30 when the temp stays under 60 for the winter. :dontknow:

Climate is a part of the factor in my selection, but mainly because unlike most engines, we lack camshaft bearings, so that heavy steel bumpstick relies on oil to save our aluminum journals from deteriorating.

Here is a chart that explains it so that you can make your selection accordingly. Climate does have alot to do with it and you can see that clearly here with this diagram. I personally will run 10W40 all year long here in Georgia and to me you can't get any better than Amsoil. Seem that any weight oil from 30 to 50 works fine in these trucks depending on climate but it will all depend on your winter number of the oil (hence the "W" after the first number). The "W" doesnt stand for weight just to be clear.
fde3077617f28fe84b85d404ebaa442a.jpg

VENM505

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back