Bet you haven't seen this before! Flywheel hanging by a thread.

kickinassrt-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JB Weld should fix it.lol Flywheel hanging by a thread.

Well for you active members you have seen my thread where I thought a noise coming from my truck was a blown cat or something inside the transmission. Well after taking it to the transmission shop yesterday they determined it was a cracked flex plate/flywheel. They said it's not an immediate worry but me being a person who can not going on knowing it's not 100%, i took it to a shop today. I am sooooo glad I did not listen and I went to get the noise fixed immediately. I just picked th truck up and I along with all the techs were in disbelief of the condition of the flywheel. I guess you gotta pay to play!:burnout:

For your viewing pleasures:

Attachments

• photo 1-1.jpg
    photo 1-1.jpg
    550.4 KB · Views: 536
  • photo 2-1.jpg
    photo 2-1.jpg
    727.3 KB · Views: 474
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    770.1 KB · Views: 292
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    555.8 KB · Views: 414
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    458.1 KB · Views: 542
Last edited:
So what was deemed the problem? What caused the flexplate to do that?
By the way, it's flexplate on an auto, flywheel on a manual as I've always learned it. I just cannot figure what happened there, makes lil sense?

Last edited:
Man thats bad and not the first I've seen, however.... gorgeous RING!

Whoever said it's not an immediate concern...... Is an IDIOT.
smiley-violent116.gif

My buds cummins flex plate sheered off one day, no warning. Just pulled outta the driveway and gave the pig about half throttle. He said it was the most gawd awful noise. Of course a diesel won't spin up to 6k rpm so it was much safer than what COULD have happened to the remaining portion of your right leg ;) just in time! Wish I had pics of his plate still. It was a nasty sight.

Dam! I wish I still had the pic where my flex plate literally disintegrated at full throttle. Literally broke all the legs and gouged up the back of my block.

Glad to know I wasn't alone. No one there ever seen this on an auto before. Thanks for the clear up between flywheel and flex plate. They kept using both terms. I am glad I do not wait because out of all of the the was only one spoke not cracked, one was half cracked and the rest were completely destroyed. The noise that comes from the broke flexplate is horrendous. I could not drive around like that, it was so loud. I goes I'm lucky because I even towed my boat this weekend and if I knew it was that bad I would have never even attempted it.
The cause may be from going a trailer and car for over a 1100 miles at highway speeds

I'm honestly not sure how it happened. Some people say its from loose bolts, some say it's just from the stress the engine puts on them and I've even heard vibration can cause it. Either way if I waited one more week I think that thing would have exploded all over my truck.

I am curious as to the amount of travel there is for the torque convertor to move towards the trans. if this travel is excessive, the flexplate will flex more than it can safely handle. especially under heavy load.

I'm not sure neither the transmission shop nor the shop that replaced it said anything about excessive play.

The bolt holes look slightly elongated! i wonder if the pilot stub from the torque convertor was either to large,or to small to disassociate the torque convertor from the crank. That condition would definately put alot of stess on the flex plate! was the torque convertor an aftermarket one or stock? It is something to check out.

Glad you caught it before it grenaded on you. I would keep an eye on it though. Something caused that to happen. Missing dowel pins? Misalignment on trans when it was re-installed? Improperly tightened bolts? That thing was moving all over the place to crack like that.

I can't see 1,100 miles of towing doing that. These transmissions were put in diesels that were meant to tow all day. Are the smokers having problems like this?

This can happen due to numerous things. For one these flex plates are notorious for doing this, especially for modified motors. That extra stress can crack them and then they break. Other than a billet flex plate which I need my self , you can order a lighter torque converter which will also help to keep this from happening. I bought one of Tonys which handles my hp and as soon as I get a chance im upgrading the flex plate.

Basically the flex plate cracked from a few causes I was told. This particular case looks to be excessive vibration and towing long hauls, which I was towing about 80mph the whole way and the truck was not even flinching at those speeds. The vibration they figured was when I had a bad carrier bearing about 6 months ago and was bad for a couple of weeks. Then towing in long hauls with trailer caused excessive force on the plate along with the heat from hours of continuous driving then being cooled off rapidly once I passed through a cold front on the trip, said it may have affected the strength.
Lastly they said this motor alone is just a monster and that alone can put major stress on these flexplates.

Hey guys! Whats going on? Been a while since Ive been here. It seems that I saw an aftermarket flex plate was finally made for the auto srt's but I cant seem to find what thread it was. Does anyone know from who or where I can get one. Thanks

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back