blown another damn oil filter

yellowfever65

Reaction score
not on here much but always lean on u guys for support, my 05, and abused is blowing these oil filters, the first one was like 18k miles, only has 23k on it now, and I've put the roe on it and love it by the way, but are these rigs bad on oil filters or what, guess I'm happy thats just the prob, we'll see, and as always any input helps.. thanks..

You don't change oil filter when you do your oil change?
If not, you should make it a priority, especially since it's being run hard and is high hp.

I change my oil (15w-50) and oil filter (Mopar) every 1500-2000 miles.
You can get Mopar Viper Oil Filters for like 10$ from the dealership.

Some of these trucks have problems with the oil pressure relief spring. Change it for the 3 piece one . It is an upgrade used on the 06 i think. The oil pump is on the front of the crank. It has no choice but to pump when it is primed! There is no shaft to break. It will build alot of pressure when the relief isn't working properly weak link is the filter. Really messy i can imagine!!

Last edited:
where would i find the 3 piece one u talk about, and I've noticed both times early, it was just shooting a straight little stream right out the side, cant even tell where once I pulled the filter

The old filter gasket isn't stuck to the filter mount is it? Maybe old and new gasket allowing oil to spray out between em.

Most of us use 15/50 weight oil, especially in the hot weather months. Our engines are designed for 0/50 which is considerably lighter and much easier on oil filters.

Some of these trucks have problems with the oil pressure relief spring.:marchmellow::marchmellow: Change it for the 3 piece one . :marchmellow::marchmellow::marchmellow:It is an upgrade used on the 06 i think. The oil pump is on the front of the crank. It has no choice but to pump when it is primed! There is no shaft to break. It will build alot of pressure when the relief isn't working properly weak link is the filter. Really messy i can imagine!!

the 3 piece is the "old style"

one piece is da one ya want:rock::rock::rock:

per the link:D

80-85 is pretty high but I would think that the filter could handle that?

Heres the link about the relief valve, If I remember right you can get them from EED (Exotic Engine Development)

http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/f28/oil-pump-pass-valve-21842/

Thanx for finding the reference guys!! my bad!!:burnout::burnout::burnout: the filter probably wasnt as tight so it just bypass the gasket and didn't rupture the filter housing. get the new relief and all will be good! don't trust another filter!! it will puke !! others have split the filter! pressure is to high:(

Kevin at Exotic Engine development. He might have the right number or he can get one for ya. If you find one let us know . We might be in need of one soon!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back