Bouncing?

ViperCLKGTR

Reaction score
About two months ago, while driving every now and then and really it was like once or twice. When I would apply the brakes to slow down for say a light it would feel like the rear end was bouncing. Kind of the feeling in other trucks when you hit a nice size pump under braking and the bed bounces then stops but it would last till the truck would come to a stop. It happened maybe twice the entire month. Well about a month it started happening more frequently until about 2 weeks ago, now stopping without bouncing has become more rare than stoping while bouncing. It's weird, over 30 it feels like the rear end is bouncing up and down but after you get under 10 it feels like the brakes aren't grabbing hold. I have no vibration in the wheel and the pedal never loses pressure. I haven't had time to take it to the shop because works been insane and I don't trust the stealership done here(Nothing but bad, bad experiences) so I've been trying to figure it out myself but no cigar. Has anyone had this problem before? I know it's not the front rotors because they are good, I checked them and replaced pads when I had the caliper lock up problem. When I got my Nittos put on the next day I told them to check the rears and they said they looked good. That was 1,500 miles ago? The stealership is my last resort, any possible ideas?

Although they said they were good, I'm thinking rear rotors?

Sounds like a caliper problem to me. my friends charger does that up front during brakes.

Maybe the center section of the shaft is going bad :dontknow:

had same issue turned out to be calipers except mine was in the front. had rotors cut put new pads on and doing same thing. this winter i am replacing the calipers and rotors to get rid of the problem for good.

Maybe the center section of the shaft is going bad :dontknow:

I'm gonna be honest I have no idea what that means?

Could these be caused by bad rotors? Maybe the shop technician had no idea what he was talking about. Could it may be be a balance or alignment problem? It didn't start till after I slapped my new tires on?

To better describe it when I apply the brakes it feels like there's an egg in the back tires dead center of the tire, it just starts bouncing. As it slows down it feels like the back brakes are slipping leaving all the braking up to the front.

Last edited:
Mine was doing the same thing. I put new rotors and pads on it and it went away. Mine had the added bonus of trying to shake the steering wheel outta my hand. My brakes have seen a hard stop or two. New SS Camaros start to pull me at about 140.....:driver:

Mine was doing the same thing. I put new rotors and pads on it and it went away. Mine had the added bonus of trying to shake the steering wheel outta my hand. My brakes have seen a hard stop or two. New SS Camaros start to pull me at about 140.....:driver:

When it would shake the steering wheel out of your hand were you going straight or would it happen only when you turned? It will only shake the steering wheel no joke three times since it started to get bad and that's at the exact same point almost turning into work. It doesn't happen in time else when turning. Only when I turn up the hill to come into work.

I joke that it's the truck saying please don't go in, let's go for a ride.

Which tires are you running? The OEM Pirrelli's were notorious for going out of round! Most blamed sitting to long in one spot and creating flat spots. I blame belt separation! Try to swap tires front to back and see if the bounce moves to the steering wheel

Ive got this problem on my 02 but its got aftermarket 22s i would think the rotors but not sure considered these truck came with the brake upgrade...

Which tires are you running? The OEM Pirrelli's were notorious for going out of round! Most blamed sitting to long in one spot and creating flat spots. I blame belt separation! Try to swap tires front to back and see if the bounce moves to the steering wheel

I just switched to Nittos, less than 1500 miles on them since I put them on.

these calipers are notorious for sticking and having issues. i replaced one of mine in the front already and within 1k miles the rebuilt one started the same issue over again. reason i am done and talking to stink about some aftermarket replacements for the stockers.

This sounds exactly like what my '05 RC does. Sometimes I get a slight bouncing during deceleration (light braking). There is no vibration in the steering wheel or brake pedal, just a slight bouncing. I have had warped rotors several vehicles and know what that feels like. And as you said, it only occurs when slowing down. It has never occurred during medium or heavy braking.

I still have the original Pirelli Scorpions in the back but will be replacing them soon. New front tires 6 months ago. My truck has about 30K miles on it now. I will let you know if I figure anything out or things change with the new rear tires.

When it would shake the steering wheel out of your hand were you going straight or would it happen only when you turned? It will only shake the steering wheel no joke three times since it started to get bad and that's at the exact same point almost turning into work. It doesn't happen in time else when turning. Only when I turn up the hill to come into work.

I joke that it's the truck saying please don't go in, let's go for a ride.

At all times braking, straight or turning. I was hoping it was tires, but continued when I had the new ones installed. The truck went from undriveable to I can slam on the brakes with no hands on the wheel and it stays perfectly straight. I can't rule out the caliper issues others mentioned, as you have to reset the pistons when the pads go in, but so far so good.

It's very possible your new tires that were freshly balanced may have slung a weight or never got balanced? I've seen them do sets of 4 and accidentally miss one :(
That and look at your rear shocks to see if they are leaking/shot. Many times our trucks are towed with over just overloaded with shit (Dan) and can bust a shock seal.
Good luck and let us all know your conclusion.

I would say it is something with the tires. Last week, I took my 10 out after sitting for about a week int he driveway. My wife looked at me funny after I got up to 60 and asked me what was with the truck (it was bouncing and shaking). I am still running a pair of Pirelli's on the back. Truck bounced and shimmied for about 10 miles, then smooth as can be. I am inclined to agree with SlitherBeast on the tire out of round.

Last edited:
A little update, I hadn't had a chance to take it to a shop because I've been so busy with work this week but luckily the bounce has gone away almost completely it's only bounced once this past week. I'm taking it to TK to have them check everything again because I did have a 20,000 mile warranty but I'm almost certain the everything is good must be mechanical routine. I really think it's the rotors. So I'm gonna have my regular shop check them because I think TK are a bunch of crooks.

My 1 ton does a straight up death wobble under medium braking... from the outside it looks like a dog shaking itself dry, I know its cause my rotors are warped. Nothing else is out f alignment on it though.

My 1 ton does a straight up death wobble under medium braking... from the outside it looks like a dog shaking itself dry, I know its cause my rotors are warped. Nothing else is out f alignment on it though.

Perfect example of what it does. I explain it as my back tires, feel like I'm hitting the whoops in my KFX.

Maybe there is dirt between the face of the axle flange and the face of the rim. Did the wobble happen just after the new tires?

Maybe there is dirt between the face of the axle flange and the face of the rim. Did the wobble happen just after the new tires?

I got the new tires put on at the end of August, it started bouncing toward the middle of September every now and then. Last 2 weeks of October had horrible issues but it's gone back to every now and then now.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back