Broken Valve Spring

dfauerbach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took my 05QC in yesterday because it was running like shit only to find out I have a broken valve spring. Has anyone else had this happen? I dont beat it and it's an automatic for god sakes now they are telling me they might have to send it to Detroit to be fixed, it only has 3k miles on it this sucks.

my friend had a broken valve spring in his trans am. His was the first, so now yours is the second I've ever heard of. Seems to me it's a rare problem.

Seriously, how does one break a spring???

I'm not sure I would think maybe a serious over rev, but I have a QC it's an automatic. Boomer told me he seemed to think there were some issues with valve springs on some models I am trying to look into that now.

id go with aftermarket if they are having to replace them

That's what I am thinking but which ones and will they install them under warranty for this?

We have only had that issue in the early HEMI trucks, never had seen it in the 8.3. I don't know why they are telling yu they have to send it to detroit. Engine repairs are no longer done in detriot, they're done in house

cant remember which you can ask some of these guys thats been in their motors im thinking i rmember jessell or crower probably wrong. my mind aint working to good these days.

Doing all 20 springs and push rods covered thank god. Looking into mopar performance cam package now, will only cost me the parts. any idea what i can get out of a cam package hp wise?

dfauerbach said:
Doing all 20 springs and push rods covered thank god. Looking into mopar performance cam package now, will only cost me the parts. any idea what i can get out of a cam package hp wise?

PM or call Dragon - Avondale

Good time for some mods.
Let me know what you find out about the springs!

dfauerbach said:
What other mods do you have? The cam requires the PCM and recommends the headers. Without headers and a cold air intake, I wouldn't expect a lot of gain, but it would get really cool idle. :rock: mmmmtorque has a clip of a burnout he did on here somewhere and you can hear his idling (pretty awesome). I think he has the comp coupe cam.

BTW, when a stock engine breaks a valve spring, it's usually an over-rev that floats the valves really bad or just a defective part.

Way back when on the NFFF site some folks had this problem if I remember right.

Needless to say, I'm still banned over there :) so I cannot go do a search. If someone that still has access does a search I bet they will find something.

My guess it was a bad spring from day one.

I dont have the Comp Coupe CAM, its a Comp Cam custom grind but anyone can get it. I picked up 25 rwhp but its subjective since I also have ported heads.

Mopar claims 8rwhp from the Comp Coup Cam but that is with the Mopar PCM. You need to tune for the cam and would recommend getting a custom flash or VEC3.

valve springs broken?? what did you do??? haha hmm well i see that u said u didnt beat it then how did it happened?? because i have heard that it is the strong parts in cylinder block

It is not unusual for the springs to break on OHV engines, they can bind up if not set up right, can break do to overrev= lifters floating again causing a bind/ or metal fatigue, but usually it is just 1 in a million springs that are just bad.
The tec should be able to replace the spring if no internal damage is found (he can check it out with fiber optic scope, leakdown test and compression test.

I'm installing my Comp Cam grind this week or next week. Just upgraded the flash and now VEC 3. I will post when completed.

They said there was a bad batch this has happened in allot of 05's, they are replacing all 20 and push rods. I asked about installing the cam now to save some $$ and they want 4k and told me all it will give me is 8rwhp so I am passing on that. They told me everything else was fine man i hope so because I drove it right to the dealer i thought for sure i got a bad tank of gas.

dfauerbach said:
They said there was a bad batch this has happened in allot of 05's, they are replacing all 20 and push rods. I asked about installing the cam now to save some $$ and they want 4k and told me all it will give me is 8rwhp so I am passing on that. They told me everything else was fine man i hope so because I drove it right to the dealer i thought for sure i got a bad tank of gas.

$4,000 !! :laugh: :bird: Does that also involve getting a Ferrari F40 for 2-3 days while they are working on it :dontknow:

Got it back today 20 springs and 20 pushrods all covered thank god. seems to be more responsive now as well or it could just be because i had a 4 cyl jeep as a loaner.....

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back