burning oil...

sanya_kim

Reaction score
i have a 2004 srt-10 viper truck and it's burning about quart of oil every 500 miles... its not smoking or dripping anywhere...
is there anywhere around ft. worth or dallas area that is real good with working with viper trucks?
or anyone have any idea if this will be an easy fix?
any help will be appreciated.

sanya_kim said:
i have a 2004 srt-10 viper truck and it's burning about quart of oil every 500 miles... its not smoking or dripping anywhere...
is there anywhere around ft. worth or dallas area that is real good with working with viper trucks?
Welcome, And you may not be burning it. Several of us have had oil leaks that are hard to detect. Oil cooler lines most likely. Some others will know more than i do about this stuff. Hang on you will get some info soon.

Good chance your oil cooler lines are leaking...usually dont leave any puddles since the leak occurs under pressure.........what mods does your truck have and what weight oil you using?.............BTW..welcome to the club..:)

sanya_kim said:
Welcome to the forum. Do you have stock pistons or after market ? Some after market pistons are very loose.

everything in the truck is stock...
it's not my truck actually, I drive a trans am and this is my friends truck.
unfortunately, he does not enjoy using the computer :p haha.
any good shops around ft. worth to take the truck to get it looked at?
the dealership told him that the truck is supposed to burn quart of oil every 500 miles.....

sanya_kim said:
everything in the truck is stock...
it's not my truck actually, I drive a trans am and this is my friends truck.
unfortunately, he does not enjoy using the computer :p haha.
any good shops around ft. worth to take the truck to get it looked at?
the dealership told him that the truck is supposed to burn quart of oil every 500 miles.....

Your friend should join here.......and find another dealership.;) ..when my truck was stock it wouldnt be a 1/2 qt low at 3000 miles when I changed the oil...

It's probably just the cooler lines. If it is something serious... ART just outside of Austin:)

i had same exact problem loosing a quart every 3 weeks no puddles just some oil around all 4 oil cooler line ends .replaced with stinkers oil lines have not lost a drop since.

sanya_kim said:

Some of those dealerships are hilarious- So does that mean you can take it in on warranty if it burns a qt. every 2000 miles instead of every 500? :argh: :argh:

Also check the oil filler cap, the o-rings sometimes shrink and it can leak from there (hard to see).

rottenronnie said:
Some of those dealerships are hilarious- So does that mean you can take it in on warranty if it burns a qt. every 2000 miles instead of every 500? :argh: :argh:

Also check the oil filler cap, the o-rings sometimes shrink and it can leak from there (hard to see).

The dealer was stupid for saying 500 miles but I believe Chrysler considers 1000 miles normal for gas engines. On the other hand my dealer had a customer come in last year with a recently purchased diesel that was using oil every 500 miles....the service mgr requested authorization to open the engine after finding no leaks. Chrysler came back that 500 miles was normal for diesel engines...nothing the dealer could do..

TNVIPER said:
The dealer was stupid for saying 500 miles but I believe Chrysler considers 1000 miles normal for gas engines. On the other hand my dealer had a customer come in last year with a recently purchased diesel that was using oil every 500 miles....the service mgr requested authorization to open the engine after finding no leaks. Chrysler came back that 500 miles was normal for diesel engines...nothing the dealer could do..

Diesels can be difficult some times. Driving it hard works wonders for seating rings in those engines.

Tooloe said:
or talk to Ross at Dinosaur performance

hey wade, do you happen to have any numbers for dallas performnace or dinosaur performance?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back