caliper rebuild

popstoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good morning yesterday i found out i had two pistons seized in two front calipers i was looking for someone who rebuilt these.are they old style where they just pop out with air then slide back in or is there something behind them that may be broke.this truck is my dd and i have to decide today what to order thanks for any help or input.

Here is what is in the 04 fronts
Each piston has
2 big pistons
2 ring seals-slip covers/rubber
2 ring gaskets/rubber

That is pretty much it. Be carefull with the air and removing the pistons if you are doing it yourself. Use a 2x4 as backing for pistons. When they decide to budge they fly fast. Hehe. I found this out as it shot across the shop 40'. Seriously got lucky i wasnt pointing it at my ugly mug.

SHU

popstoy said:
thanks just ordered pistons and seal kits
Hey pops let me know how the rebuild goes and how easy/hard it is. I think I hotta do mine soon too. Pics would be great if you could!

kickinassrt-10 said:
Hey pops let me know how the rebuild goes and how easy/hard it is. I think I hotta do mine soon too. Pics would be great if you could!

Pics would be great, most want to sell you calipers:mad: When I was a broke kid we used to fix the masters and slave cylinders:D

thewelshm

Heres how I rebuilt mine.
Separate caliper halves. Mark wich port is the bleeder & which is the crossover tube. Use a C-clamp and a block of wood wood against pistons. leave a small gap between piston and wood. apply low pressure shop air to inlet or crossover. make sure pistons start extending evenly.
If one piston pops out completely you'll play hell getting the other piston out.
release shop air give a little gap between piston & wood & reapply air. Repeat this process until both pistons are at the end of the bore.
DO NOT PRY OR ATTEMPT TO GRIP & PULL PISTONS They are composite and will chip crack break.
Once pistons are out R&R oring in the bore. lube orings and pistons with clean brake fluid. Press piston back into bore. Using C clamp and wood block you can coerce them back in. then reinstall outer dust seal.
Re-mate the halves and install the crossover tube & bleeder

Azmotorhead said:
Heres how I rebuilt mine.
Separate caliper halves. Mark wich port is the bleeder & which is the crossover tube. Use a C-clamp and a block of wood wood against pistons. leave a small gap between piston and wood. apply low pressure shop air to inlet or crossover. make sure pistons start extending evenly.
If one piston pops out completely you'll play hell getting the other piston out.
release shop air give a little gap between piston & wood & reapply air. Repeat this process until both pistons are at the end of the bore.
DO NOT PRY OR ATTEMPT TO GRIP & PULL PISTONS They are composite and will chip crack break.
Once pistons are out R&R oring in the bore. lube orings and pistons with clean brake fluid. Press piston back into bore. Using C clamp and wood block you can coerce them back in. then reinstall outer dust seal.
Re-mate the halves and install the crossover tube & bleeder

Do you have pics?? I think many would benefit:rock:

thewelshm

No sorry I could diss-assemble a caliper I've got on the bench> but I'm at work for the rest of the week-weekend & then I'm off to the Dunes for a week

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back