Caltrac help

Cruster

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Changing the oil and discovered one of the bar lock nuts was loose on my passenger Caltrac. Tightened it back up and it's been fine since but didn't want to put loctite on it :dontknow: :dontknow: Plus the damn front rocker still bangs on the rough spots. Reefen em out jacks up the ass end and it's high enough already:D What does anyone think about clamping or welding the damn things and what might be the consequences of that? I know some of you wrench heads have dealt with this but couldn't find anything in the search. Help me out guys, and thanks!

most just put up with the clankin' over rough spots....... the roller that pushes against the leaf spring is what's clankin'...... some have put a piece of teflon under the roller, others have put a rubber hose around the roller..... :dontknow:

Yeah, I figured out it was the roller on the front pivot plate, just couldn't decide if it would f up my rear end if I just clamped it. Figured it must pivot for a reason:D

Thanks Randy for the ideas!

Now I gotta check mine Bud, Haven't checked them since install a couple months ago. Thanks for the heads up .........

Jim

JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE said:
best thing for the clank is a cut piece of polyurathane, I think I h ave some left, jsut let me knwo

Thanks Tony, I've got a little bit of everything in the shop, bet I can find somethin that will work. Appreciate your help!!!!!

Cruster said:
Thanks Tony, I've got a little bit of everything in the shop, bet I can find somethin that will work. Appreciate your help!!!!!
Tony is the best.:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

I read this thread this morning and just finished installing my caltracs I cut a piece of 3/4" heater hose and put it around the roller I guess I'll see if that works

Sounds like you guys with clanking issues are not running any preload on the bars.

I get no noise with 1-1.5 turns of preload on the bars.

Make sure this is done with the driver seated and at least 1/2 tank of fuel.

The preload allows the bars to do their job and work properly.

The truck handles better and goes around corners much flatter without hop.

Without preload you do not get full benefit from the Caltracs.

FSTJACK said:
Sounds like you guys with clanking issues are not running any preload on the bars.

I get no noise with 1-1.5 turns of preload on the bars.

Make sure this is done with the driver seated and at least 1/2 tank of fuel.

The preload allows the bars to do their job and work properly.

The truck handles better and goes around corners much flatter without hop.

Without preload you do not get full benefit from the Caltracs.
I got mine turned in 1 3/4 turns and they still clank when going over bumps

Cruster said:
No prob Jim....do yours clank?

Exhaust is so loud if it's clankin I can't hear it, lol ..... in between buildings I may hear something once and awhile, then I downshift and that noise goes away .... :rock: ..... :D

Jim

poly urethane and it depends on how you have them set

did you sit in the drivers seat when you set the bars?

do you have a passenger?

did you have a load in the bed

did you change tire height?

this all can change the caltracs position

the polyurethane is a great idea

Thanks for all the input guys.

Here's what I did. Glued a hard rubber pad to the spring....cut up one of my old oil lines (a fitting end I thought) and put a piece of the hose on the top roller. That got most of it. I figured out that some of the clank comes from the bars swiveling side to side on the donut bearings. Sure this can be mostly cured with enough preload but Calvert racing recommends no preload for the street, but I occasionally race on the street so....preload. So I will again experiment with how much preload and see what happens. I know one thing....it doesn't handle as well with minimal preload. So, just gonna get it dialed in again.

I went 1/2 turn preload with weight in the drivers seat and just under half a tank, alot of the noise I had went away. I also made sure the eyelits lined up with each other. I also installed mine without any instructions STINKER :hmmmm: :stupido2:

santeen on the QC you may look at the springs, especially since its lowered, the bars are real close

Back