cams

redram10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
today i was lookin at some cams just wanted to know is there a cam you can get with out havin to work on the heads if not what all has to be done to the heads

Do you have to do anything to the heads for the comp coup cam?

to get the most from a cam it needs to be used in conjunction with a good set of heads. they both compliment each other and make nice gains in hp and trq.

redram10 said:
what kind of money would i speed on head work

kindof gettin the mod fever

I spent close to 6k getting heads, intake and TB ported, custom grind cam, pushrods, springs and T&D rockers installed and tune on my truck. That was after I already had headers, exhaust and CAI.;)

redram10 said:
today i was lookin at some cams just wanted to know is there a cam you can get with out havin to work on the heads if not what all has to be done to the heads

Minimal gains changing the stock cam without head work. It is a fair bit of work to just do that. Labour and cost vs. the performance gain isn't worth it.
Match the cam to the heads.

You can have the heads ported, back-cut the valves, bowl work, springs, etc; and then based on how the heads work, choose a cam. That is one way.
The o.e.m. Gen III heads (yours) are already pretty good heads (basically factory-ported Gen II heads). Porting costs vary and the results are only going to be so good.
In the end, you are still stuck with the factory combustion chamber (which isn't the greatest), and the intake port's dog-leg design.

Or you can go aftermarket heads (more money though) and choose a cam at that point with known values. That is the route I went.
I did all my own work; and for aftermarket heads, Jesels, pushrods, etc; and a custom billet roller, the cost was around 10 grand, all in.
It was completely worth it to me.
The truck is fun to drive, reasonably fast, and even gets decent mileage!

Depends what you want and/or finances...:dontknow:

Rotten

Last edited:
you can do a decent cam such as the hr 270 from comp cams, upgrade the springs , and maybe even a decent set of rockers and hardned pushrods and get a decent gain.

but the main deal with a cam is getting a profile that matches you program at the time.

different cams for supercharged, turboed, and naturally asperated, they all work differently.

one that works for a turbo, isnt going to give you the same gains as one for say a supercharger or a N/A motor, engine

man here is what i did .... i told my builder my app that i was going to be useing my truck in..... told him i wanted a slight port job but nothing serious............so i'v got a small port job,a 3 angle valve job, and had the heads shaved down for more compression. with a cam that matched the flow numbers "custom of corse" and i spend maybe 2200 on the whole deal with upgraded springs and what not

Tooloe said:
man here is what i did .... i told my builder my app that i was going to be useing my truck in..... told him i wanted a slight port job but nothing serious............so i'v got a small port job,a 3 angle valve job, and had the heads shaved down for more compression. with a cam that matched the flow numbers "custom of corse" and i spend maybe 2200 on the whole deal with upgraded springs and what not

HOW MUCH HP AND HOW MUCH $$ YOU SPEND WHAT PART OF TEXAS YOU LIVE IN AND WHO IS A GOOD BUILDER IN THE TEXAS AREA

Tooloe said:

HOW MUCH HP AND HOW MUCH $$ YOU SPEND WHAT PART OF TEXAS YOU LIVE IN AND WHO IS A GOOD BUILDER IN THE TEXAS AREA

not sure on the HP gains but american racing technology in buda texas is doing my build

ViperTruck2933 said:
For the $6K my truck made 535 rwhp and 566 rwtrq. But the cam was cut for low-mid range torque (to get the big truck moving).:rock:

i will be tickled pink with a feather up my butt if i get those numbers after my upgrades

ok thanks for the info
what bout the cam that mopar offers i can get a big discount on mapar parts would it even be worth it or should i do a compcam and head work i no that would be more hp but just lookin for the best bang for the buck

i may be mistaken but i seem to remember that with the mopar cam AND the mopar computer (as a package)...only a gain of 10-15 HP. not worth the trouble (and expense)

redram10 said:
ok thanks for the info
what bout the cam that mopar offers i can get a big discount on mapar parts would it even be worth it or should i do a compcam and head work i no that would be more hp but just lookin for the best bang for the buck
there is really no difference than that cam and a stock one

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back