Can these trucks run 87 Octane?

You can do it as long as you pull about 6 degrees of timing. But only in an emergency. I have a tune for minus 6 degrees (I'm running 10 lbs of boost and a VEC III) in case I am where higher octane is not available. The comment above about getting rid of the truck if the price of fuel is a concern is dead on...

Fact is if you cant afford the extra 6 to 7 dollars per tankful you need to rethink on what vehical is proper for your needs or wants ,,not bashing you ,just SAYING:dontknow:

Fact is if you cant afford the extra 6 to 7 dollars per tankful you need to rethink on what vehical is proper for your needs or wants ,,not bashing you ,just SAYING:dontknow:

Thats what i say too :rock:

$3.99 for 87??....wow...runs $3.54 here in East TN.....and local grocery store has a 15 cent program......plus many stations run a Friday special on 93 octane...same price as 89 octane....The grocery store also gives the 89 price for 93 on Fridays so I can get 93 for 28 cents less on Fridays..

Your question about the 89 is the same I as I said of the 87 with less savings.....put 91 in it and call it a day...

Right now 87 is 3.69 at least that what it was this morning, i meant to say last time i filled up, i paid 3.99, but at least i have the reward points from the grocery store

also to everyone else that keeps saying, if concern about gas get a different vehicle...........i was JUST CURIOUS, doesnt hurt to ask a question, does it? I was asking just in case i put the wrong thing in or a family member borrow it and put the wrong thing in

the whole point is if you are trying to save 6-even 15 dollars a fill up you need to rethink the vehicle. hell the difference in price for gas is one of the cheapest things on these trucks hell just look at oil changes.. my wife's truck i can get changed for 30 bucks mine is almost 100 dollars just because of the amount of oil and such there is nothing that is cheap on these hell the difference price in gas is probably the closest to a normal vehicle over any other form of maintenance on these things.

Right now 87 is 3.69 at least that what it was this morning, i meant to say last time i filled up, i paid 3.99, but at least i have the reward points from the grocery store

also to everyone else that keeps saying, if concern about gas get a different vehicle...........i was JUST CURIOUS, doesnt hurt to ask a question, does it? I was asking just in case i put the wrong thing in or:elefant::elefant: a family member borrow it:toilet::toilet: and put the wrong thing in

you loan your TRUCK out????

lol yeah i would have to second that lol hell my wife wont even drive my truck i dont let anyone drive it besides me lol

I took the question to be if it was possible to use 87 octane in regular driving. I do it during traveling because gas prices vary alot, especially in small towns. I would never use lower octane if I was doing any kind of aggressive driving.FYI, I have 94k miles on it and alot of it is when I do use it for work.

yeah and i think most are saying its a risk that isnt worth taking just because you can doesnt me he will get away with it just like those that use boost and nitrous. you have seen those that go for ever with boost and nitrous with no issues yet others try it and next thing you know they have a blown motor not to long down the road. thats face it these motors stock are unpredictable at best when it comes to changing any form of input let it be forced induction or nitrous same can be expected with fuel you go low and it starts pinging no promise how long that motor will last so its a risk

ok, normal granny driving, not revving it or or flooring it, your ok with the cheap shit. regular guy driving, use 91 octane. Its like talking to a bunch of freakin lawyers on here. Its not like he's gonna blow his motor pulling out of the gas station. He asked for an opinion, not a signed promise.

The funny thing is everyone on here preaching sell the truck if you cant afford it, your all acting like you have a expensive truck.. news flash you dont.. you have a 20k truck if your lucky.. I test drove a car the other day where the brakes upgrade were worth 2 of these trucks " 40k upgrade ".. . so get off your high horse,,, we all have these trucks and there a mid to low end price for a car... woohoo..

The funny thing is everyone on here preaching sell the truck if you cant afford it, your all acting like you have a expensive truck.. news flash you dont.. you have a 20k truck if your lucky.. I test drove a car the other day where the brakes upgrade were worth 2 of these trucks " 40k upgrade ".. . so get off your high horse,,, we all have these trucks and there a mid to low end price for a car... woohoo..

Value is in the eye of the beholder. One man's chariot is another man's outhouse.

In regard to your earlier post... RPM doesn't affect heat of ignition like spark plug gap, timing, and a/f mixture. Most specifically the fact that higher octane has a higher point of ignition, so yes, even at idle it does matter what you put in this motor.

If your analysis is right, then this is a $20k truck with what... a $13k long block? Doesn't really stack up on 10 bucks a fill, does it.

also to everyone else that keeps saying, if concern about gas get a different vehicle...........i was JUST CURIOUS, doesnt hurt to ask a question, does it? I was asking just in case i put the wrong thing in or a family member borrow it and put the wrong thing in

and a good concern it is bud,

Well, I have run 87 octane for maybe at least 30k, I then run 91octane and booster and 150 shot of spray, and run faster than anybody that has posted here, and I still hear bitching. Not to long ago, I heard spray over 100 shot was bad also, all those big builds I see are still slower. Timeslips baby, and I'm not slowing down.

So use 87 all day long just keep your foot off the floor.. If your in 6th gear low rpm cruising and going up hills when it starts to pull tons of TQ it will detonate so shift down to 5th or the next lowest gear so its not really growling to keep the truck moving and you will be A ok... If you hear ping ping ping get off the gas...

Good info in the right direction! As your engine approaches peak VE, you run the risk of dreaded detonation.

Value is in the eye of the beholder. One man's chariot is another man's outhouse.

In regard to your earlier post... RPM doesn't affect heat of ignition like spark plug gap, timing, and a/f mixture. Most specifically the fact that higher octane has a higher point of ignition......

Agreed, load and combustion pressure is more critical than RPM. Plus, think about what Torrie does to keep things on the safe side when it comes to the tune. Extra fuel allows extra timing and helps keep the combustion chamber on the cool side.;)

Well, I have run 87 octane for maybe at least 30k, I then run 91octane and booster and 150 shot of spray, and run faster than anybody that has posted here, and I still hear bitching. Not to long ago, I heard spray over 100 shot was bad also, all those big builds I see are still slower. Timeslips baby, and I'm not slowing down.

Love it! :rock: Firm on your position due to expirience. There is thinkin', and then there is knowin'. Other than that it just speculation.:)

Thought I'd chime in. My brother borrowed my truck when I was out of town. I figured it was ok cause I've borrowed his F-350 with 24" lift and 49" tires...lol. He put 87 in not realizing it needs atleast 91. I found this out because when I got home and drove my truck it ran like shit to say the least. It was the first thing that I asked my brother. I babied it to the gas station, it had a little over half a tank still, so I topped off the tank with 104 octane. There is a small race track close by the station. So I would definatly advise against it, like I said it ran like shit....no power and pinging. I just ordered a tuner from Torrie and want to see if he can write a tune for 110 octane. They sell it at small airport near me. $8.50 a gallon is worth it to me once in a while if I can tear some crazy ass with my truck.....not that it doesnt now...lol. But would love to see it on 110 octane. Plus it smells so awesome. I would wear it as colonge if it didnt burn....LMAO.

Note to casual readers...

"Pinging" is the polite word for detonation. Tuners with great ears can hear it when we normal (read old) people can't. Pinging is the beginning of the end.

Thought I'd chime in. My brother borrowed my truck when I was out of town. I figured it was ok cause I've borrowed his F-350 with 24" lift and 49" tires...lol. He put 87 in not realizing it needs atleast 91. I found this out because when I got home and drove my truck it ran like shit to say the least. It was the first thing that I asked my brother. I babied it to the gas station, it had a little over half a tank still, so I topped off the tank with 104 octane. There is a small race track close by the station. So I would definatly advise against it, like I said it ran like shit....no power and pinging. I just ordered a tuner from Torrie and want to see if he can write a tune for 110 octane. They sell it at small airport near me. $8.50 a gallon is worth it to me once in a while if I can tear some crazy ass with my truck.....not that it doesnt now...lol. But would love to see it on 110 octane. Plus it smells so awesome. I would wear it as colonge if it didnt burn....LMAO.

I am with you on the smell of racing gas!!!

Back