Catch Cans, PCV?

I'm really a big fan of putting on a true Air/Oil Separator on forced induction engines. The catch cans vent to atmosphere (the little air filter on the top of them). Under pressure, this blows oil vapor all over everything. A true separator won't do that, as it's a sealed system.

Other than that, they work the same. JMB's catch can kit (for example) plumbs in-line with the vacuum system, which includes the PCV valve. You really need to keep this valve in place, IMO. It's located at the end of the vacuum hose that plugs into one of the valve covers (can't remember which one).

Maybe one of the vendors/builders could chime-in and correct me if I'm wrong.... but I would keep the vacuum system as sealed and intact as possible. Especially when running higher intake pressures and a cam. :dontknow:

I'm really a big fan of putting on a true Air/Oil Separator on forced induction engines. The catch cans vent to atmosphere (the little air filter on the top of them). Under pressure, this blows oil vapor all over everything. A true separator won't do that, as it's a sealed system.

Other than that, they work the same. JMB's catch can kit (for example) plumbs in-line with the vacuum system, which includes the PCV valve. You really need to keep this valve in place, IMO. It's located at the end of the vacuum hose that plugs into one of the valve covers (can't remember which one).

Maybe one of the vendors/builders could chime-in and correct me if I'm wrong.... but I would keep the vacuum system as sealed and intact as possible. Especially when running higher intake pressures and a cam. :dontknow:

A engine that has no blow by will not blow oil all over the place through the breathers. When this happens there are internal issues in the engine.

As for the comment that Justins system plumbs inline with the vacuum system. This is wrong. Justins system simply ports the valve covers to a catch can and then the original connection on the bottom side of the intake is plugged off. In the factory setup the pressure in the crankcase is ported back into the intake and then reburned. Justins system just vents it to atmosphere, the same as they did in the old days.

As far as I remember there is no PCV in our engines. A PCV allows the pressures inside the engine to escape, but not allow outside pressure into the crankcase. Basically prevents backfire pressures from entering the crankcase and blowing out seals. Thats all it does.

If I was you I would just use Justins catch can setup. It looks good and is functional at the same time.

we dont have a real pcv system

but there are basically two differnt ways of doing a catch can

a closed system which runs from the covers to the can then the vapors are returned an burnt thru the engine
then there is the open system, which basically you run a hose from the cover to an open can, and lets the vapors escape into the atmosphere, downside to this is an oil smell

both systems work well, jsut depends on which you want to run, all you wnat basically is to keep the oil and contaminants from returning to the intake and being burnt in the combustion chamber letting them build up on the piston domes and valves

how's things goin, dale?

good to see ya around!

can't answer your question, tho:D

Good Dan, thanks for asking. Doin a few things with the truck to get ready for summer. I am looking to add a catch can as I am tired of the oil film that is building up under the hood from the filters I added to the valve covers. I am trying to decide if I want a packaged unit or to build my own.

Thanks for all the info. This is the reason I joineed this site so many years ago. The people is why I stayed.

Enjoy the ride,
Dale

I have a call into DTS Dale, waiting on the call back, and thats what I ran into also with the open system and my turbos, went to the sealed system and no more leaks, you jsut have to keep an eye on the can and keep it emptied

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back