Catless mids and exhaust stink

SRT-MIKE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those of you running catless mids I have a question:

I've been getting choked up with fumes and unburned gas smell, not only while I wait at red lights, but sometimes even when I'm cruising at low speed. If the windows are closed and I'm idling, sometimes it gets really bad, opening the windows helps sometimes. Sometimes it is barely noticeable but a lot of times is really bad.

Any of you having the same problem?

Thanks!!!

SRT-MIKE said:
For those of you running catless mids I have a question:

I've been getting choked up with fumes and unburned gas smell, not only while I wait at red lights, but sometimes even when I'm cruising at low speed. If the windows are closed and I'm idling, sometimes it gets really bad, opening the windows helps sometimes. Sometimes it is barely noticeable but a lot of times is really bad.

Any of you having the same problem?

Thanks!!!
Is your system clamp on, Or welded? If clamp on i would take it to your muffler shop and have them take a look at it.

That's terrible. Isn't it too loud as well? I never removed my cats because I spent too much money on her to remove them... :dontknow: and her wing...

You have a leak if you are getting fumes inside while driving.

But over all the smell of your exhaust will be worse, especially in the garage.

I agree that you may have an exhaust leak under there.....

When I removed my cats, I had them all welded together. Richard (Richard's Performance Muffler) said it's the least expensive and the most trouble free way of doing it..... V-Bands and all kinds shit were recommended.... I think welding rules.

Good luck...... Exhaust leaks can be hazardous to your health... Fix that mutha...

D

Venom Power said:
That's terrible. Isn't it too loud as well? I never removed my cats because I spent too much money on her to remove them... :dontknow: and her wing...

Well I didn't... only paid 26k for mine. :D

I checked the muffler and the point where the catless mids slide in has carbon marks, so you guys are on the money about the leak.

Now my question is, my mids have been hot-coated, can that stuff be welded over?

Thanks!

SRT-MIKE said:
I checked the muffler and the point where the catless mids slide in has carbon marks, so you guys are on the money about the leak.

Now my question is, my mids have been hot-coated, can that stuff be welded over?

Thanks!
I believe they just grind the coating off in the area that needs welding.

I had this same problem with my x-metal mids a few months back. The pipes werent exactly "lining" up, so I had an exhaust leak at the header-mid junction. I went to an exhaust shop, had them bend the pipe for the proper fit, and then I had them weld those bad dogs in. NO more exhaust fumes in the cab.

However, I have also had a bad O2 sensor - about 2 weeks after putting the mids on. . . and the truck ran REALLY rich. If it is the O2 sensor, it's probably the one behind one of your cats. I called dragon up, and bought two new sensors from him (one for each rear), bought new mechanical sims, and then put it all back together. I was also throwing codes on the check engine light for a bad O2 sensor.

I had a miserable time with the mids and getting them to function correctly. I was in the same boat as you with the fumes making my eyes water. It's difficult to diagnose over the internet, but it sounds like you have a combination/one of the problems I mentioned - O2 sensor, leak.

Go get your stuff welded in...you'll be a lot happier.

best of luck.:rock:

Like the others have said............weld them for sure. Mine stinks but I can only smell it after I have parked it, never when driving. I also do not have a gas smell, just the stinky exhaust smell. I wonder if your SC is running rich?:dontknow: I do have the DC stage two which I guess leans me out a little.

patrick

you gotta leak.....when i first put my midpipes on I had same issue......get a wrench on it

after my install of mids and catback from B&B i had no such smell or leaks... but burnt a little the ebrake cable isolation where the exhaust go's around the rear end... must have overseen this installing it... loosing the support bolt , you can push the cable more out off the way and tighten it again.

Sorry to HO...

As some of you may know :D I just replaced my mids. I too get the smell but I’m sure it’s a leak and am working on repairing it.
My concern is the exhaust sounds like a KAZOO at 2500 RPMs.
:puke:
At WOT it sounds good but the rattle-y 4 banger sound under normal to hard acceleration is a little annoying.
Is this the normal sound after this mod?:dontknow:

Last edited:
Django said:
I agree that you may have an exhaust leak under there.....

When I removed my cats, I had them all welded together. Richard (Richard's Performance Muffler) said it's the least expensive and the most trouble free way of doing it..... V-Bands and all kinds shit were recommended.... I think welding rules.

Good luck...... Exhaust leaks can be hazardous to your health... Fix that mutha...

D

Tim Is too late for me to that?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back