Catless Mids and Warranty

dilly03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I had to move over here....the "other" site was getting boring!

Anyway, I am going to be ordering a magnaflow cat-back and brake pads from Boomer in just a few days. I really want to get the catless mids (from what I understand he has one set left), but was wondering if going catless would affect the warranty at all. I wouldn't be a big deal 'cus I can always swap 'em out when I go in for any work, but I was wondering what the factory's stance was on that sort of mod. ;)

Like with all mods, it's really going to be up to the dealership and whether or not they decide to make an issue out of it, however, they cannot legally void your warranty unless they can prove that whatever mod you made casued the issue at hand. We need to get Rocktman to post his reference material on what to do if they do make an issue. The bottom line though is, if you make mods, you have a potential issue getting things fixed by the dealer if they decide to be an asshole about it.

Others may have different opinions...

Texas Yellow Fever said:
Like with all mods, it's really going to be up to the dealership and whether or not they decide to make an issue out of it, however, they cannot legally void your warranty unless they can prove that whatever mod you made casued the issue at hand. We need to get Rocktman to post his reference material on what to do if they do make an issue. The bottom line though is, if you make mods, you have a potential issue getting things fixed by the dealer if they decide to be an asshole about it.

Others may have different opinions...

Now since these are for "offroad use only" and if you have inspection you might get fined, would a dealer not allow you to take your vehicle without the catalytic converters being on the truck?

greatone61 said:
Now since these are for "offroad use only" and if you have inspection you might get fined, would a dealer not allow you to take your vehicle without the catalytic converters being on the truck?

Depending on where you live, you will have to replace them before getting an inspection.

High flow cats are in order if you have to get inspected. They have very little restriction, are way better flowing than the 2 POS cats the factory installs.
You don't need sims with the high flows and you get the deeper growl out of the exhaust.:vroam:

No inspection to worry about here. I live far enough away from the "big" city.

where can I get some high flow mid pipes that bolt up to the stock headers? The only mid pipes i know of are Belanger and B&B and im assuming that they only bolt up to there headers, but you know what happends when you assume.

Thanks,
Jake

turbo_neon said:
where can I get some high flow mid pipes that bolt up to the stock headers? The only mid pipes i know of are Belanger and B&B and im assuming that they only bolt up to there headers, but you know what happends when you assume.

Thanks,
Jake

Check out Boomer's (X-Metal) section here on the forum. I'll bet he'll be able to hook you up.;)

not sure about all 50 states, but in california it's illegal to take off the factory cats. you can't replece them with any aftermarket cats at all. high flows are just as illegal as no cats at all.

I don't know if the dealership is obligated by law to retain your vehicle if you take off the cats, but I kinda doubt it.

ViperTruck2933 said:
High flow cats are in order if you have to get inspected. They have very little restriction, are way better flowing than the 2 POS cats the factory installs.
You don't need sims with the high flows and you get the deeper growl out of the exhaust.:vroam:

Rural Georgia reporting in....no inspections here. Dealer removed my cats when I had the Mopar headers and Mopar catless midpipes installed. Work order from dealer was stamped truck was for "off-road use only". Warranty still intact. Dealer is fully aware my truck is a daily driver. Recommend you discuss with your dealer any changes/mods before you do them to see how the dealer will react warranty-wise. My dealer put it in writing that the Mopar Headers, catless mid-pipes, Mopar Performance PCM, and Mopar Ram/Air CAI that I have installed do not affect my warranty. Of course I purchased all the items from them, they did all the work, and I paid them a small fortune...

If you are worried about inspection, I would get the high flow cats. Worried about the warrenty and you are getting headers, midpipes and exhaust, then just delete the cats....the last three would probably get you before the cats at the dealership. But like others said, it's up to your local stealership.

turbo_neon said:

Thanks,
Jake

Boomer make's mids that bolt up to the stock manifold. He can weld the Hiflows in.

I got my mids from B&B with Hi-Flows(Boomer didn't have them available when I order). They also bolt up to the stock manifold, but in my case I have it going to the Bassani headers which bolt up to the stock mids.

I love the sound....

i have the B&B mids with the high flows, they will bolt-up to the stock manifolds,but will have to be "massaged" to fit the magna-flow cat back:banghead:

mauiSRT/10 said:
Very good point Fred. How do you like your setup? Sounds good to me.

patrick

Patrick,

I am very, very happy with the setup! Sounds good...runs great!!!! But, if I had it to do all over again, I would definitely send the headers out to be ceramic coated before installing them. Mopar includes some header wrap that the dealer installed around key heat-sensitive areas which meant about half the header on the driver's side was wrapped and about 25% on the passenger side was wrapped. Looked kinda stupid when you lifted the hood, so I ended up taking the front wheels and wheel wells off and spent a day completely wrapping the headers, and then coated the wrap with DEI silver ceramic header paint. Looks good now, but ceramic coated would have looked better. Was too impatient and did not want to wait to try to find someone in rural Georgia that could ceramic coat the headers before I had the dealer install them...

devildog said:
Patrick,

I am very, very happy with the setup! Sounds good...runs great!!!! But, if I had it to do all over again, I would definitely send the headers out to be ceramic coated before installing them. Mopar includes some header wrap that the dealer installed around key heat-sensitive areas which meant about half the header on the driver's side was wrapped and about 25% on the passenger side was wrapped. Looked kinda stupid when you lifted the hood, so I ended up taking the front wheels and wheel wells off and spent a day completely wrapping the headers, and then coated the wrap with DEI silver ceramic header paint. Looks good now, but ceramic coated would have looked better. Was too impatient and did not want to wait to try to find someone in rural Georgia that could ceramic coat the headers before I had the dealer install them...

Fred

Any chance of you taking a pic of your handy work in that engine bay? It sounds very interesting.

patrick

dilly03 said:
No inspection to worry about here. I live far enough away from the "big" city.

Moving to Lake County, IL soon...I have mopar long tube headers, and no cats.

I understand there is a "Show Vehicle" status that avoids the polution control standards. Do you know anything about how to get the "Show Vehicle" status?

devildog said:
Patrick,

so I ended up taking the front wheels and wheel wells off and spent a day completely wrapping the headers, and then coated the wrap with DEI silver ceramic header paint. Looks good now, but ceramic coated would have looked better. Was too impatient and did not want to wait to try to find someone in rural Georgia that could ceramic coat the headers before I had the dealer install them...

Patrick can you get us some pics of your "Wrap Mod"?? I have the same issue with my Mopar long tube headers...

Prof said:
Patrick can you get us some pics of your "Wrap Mod"?? I have the same issue with my Mopar long tube headers...

Devildog has the headers and wrap. I got nothing!!!! LOL I just wanted to see how he did it.....sounded kinda cool.

patrick

Please...Pics of the re-wrap devildog...I hate my wrap too...

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back