Catless Mids Install

wesman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any pointers on the install on these. I went under ot check them out yesterday and noticed there were some weird "clip" type things on the end of the bolts.

what are these "clips" and are they necessary?

Any other insight?

--wes

I here its a bitch to change the pipes with those clips. Some have went as far as to burn them out. I think some said to use vice grips to hold clip.
Good luck, and let us know how you like it.

Once you get the old ones out make sure they are the same length as your new ones. I went to install mine and the new ones were slightly longer (I figured this out after a few hours of trying to force it, and scratching my head).

amtrucker22 said:
Once you get the old ones out make sure they are the same length as your new ones. I went to install mine and the new ones were slightly longer (I figured this out after a few hours of trying to force it, and scratching my head).

Are you referring to the bolts? I assumed that I would reuse the stock ones?

So, the clips aren't necessary? I started to loosen one of the bolts and I broke the clip....wasn't sure what the clips were for in the first place.

--wes

Ditch the clips..................I paid a guy to do mine and he even had a hard time with those clips in a muffler shop with a lift and all the good tools!!!

patrick

mauiSRT/10 said:
Ditch the clips..................I paid a guy to do mine and he even had a hard time with those clips in a muffler shop with a lift and all the good tools!!!

patrick

Cool...I didn't think they were necessary, but I wanted to see what folks had to say. It seems that there isn't a normal "nut and bolt" on the cats, just some sort of built in that the bolt screws into.

Was just wondering what all the others did.

BTW- What did you pay if you don't mind me asking, may just farm it out so I don't have to deal with it :)

--wes

wesman said:
Are you referring to the bolts? I assumed that I would reuse the stock ones?

So, the clips aren't necessary? I started to loosen one of the bolts and I broke the clip....wasn't sure what the clips were for in the first place.

--wes
No I am actually talking about the pipes... Mine were x-metal and they did not fit. I will have to have them cut in order for them to work with mine. :dontknow:

those clips are there to prevent the nut to rotate as you want to unscrew the bolts... yep, once , when new :D
Those little bastards turn with the nuts once rusted until the clip breaks or opens and can free rotate... the nuts themself are square types as used in timber works :confused:

Now i managed to unscrew them by pressing them ( nut and clip ) with a visegrip against the manifold flange. Just a bit searching how and were to place the visegrip ( on big force ! ) , but it's possible :rock:

New i used copper nuts on new bolts :elefant:

amtrucker22 said:
No I am actually talking about the pipes... Mine were x-metal and they did not fit. I will have to have them cut in order for them to work with mine. :dontknow:

lol...now that would piss me right off after I took out the old ones.

I bought mine used, so I assume they should be ok

--wes

wesman said:
lol...now that would piss me right off after I took out the old ones.

I bought mine used, so I assume they should be ok

--wes
Mine were used also... Worked on the same year qc as my qc... :dontknow: Just put them up next to each other to make sure. ;)

I was pissed... What makes it worse is that I still don't have them on. :mad:

amtrucker22 said:
Mine were used also... Worked on the same year qc as my qc... :dontknow: Just put them up next to each other to make sure. ;)

I was pissed... What makes it worse is that I still don't have them on. :mad:

Hmm...I'm gonna give it another shot here in a little while. I'll check to be sure they'll fit first tho.

Do you happen to have an aftermarket exhaust or stock?

--wes

wesman said:
Hmm...I'm gonna give it another shot here in a little while. I'll check to be sure they'll fit first tho.

Do you happen to have an aftermarket exhaust or stock?

--wes
I have magnaflows... but they slid in to the factory mids as if they were made to be there. :dontknow: I am probably just a special case as far as this goes, but I wanted to bring it up just in case. Doesn't take but 2 seconds to put them up next to each other to check them.

Those stupid clips are there to do exactly what was mentioned earlier, hold the nut from turning (don't work for Sh*t!). I used a 17 mm wrench to try and hold the square nut after bending away the flimsy piece of steel holding the nut in that broke as soon as I tried to loosen the bolt. Anyway the driverside you can reach a little better and I was able to get them off. The passenger side is tight. The top bolt on the collector for the cats sucks. I ended up using a sawz all and air chisle to break the nut off. Not fun. I was putting shorty headers on and had to undue the manifold from the collectors.

Use bolts with washers and lock washers. The stock ones are trash.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back