Catless vs. Hi Flow cats

dfauerbach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how much of a difference catless mids make over the hi flow cats on Boomers site? I would love to go catless but nervous about getting stopped in a roadside inspection and getting a huge fine for not having any.

that is the great dilema, are you willing to risk it ???

myself, i intend to go with a complete b&b exhaust system (still waiting on a quote from boomer), because i can more easily swap out the mid-pipes from cat's to no cats......:D

Well I would be a betting man and risk it if I ever WON any LOL....... maybe you have the best idea and swap them out, any idea on a price though? I was looking at hi flow cats and the magnaflow cat back pricing seems to be around $1100.00

dfauerbach said:
Well I would be a betting man and risk it if I ever WON any LOL....... maybe you have the best idea and swap them out, any idea on a price though? I was looking at hi flow cats and the magnaflow cat back pricing seems to be around $1100.00

i don't like the stock manifold system because it is harder to remove the mid-pipes to swap them out for inspection/deq....... i wanted to go long tube headers because the mid's are shorter & easier to get to.... if i were interested in just a hi-flow setup, i'd go belanger header's & mid's with magnaflow catback -- best price for sure...... you might pm tom (womsterr) to see if he still has a great deal on that setup.... but since i want the easiest way to swap in/out my mids, i'm going with b&b and it's going to cost me (~4k)...... :D

Thanks allot, sent wormsterr a pm we'll see what happens

I think member JMB Justin had a set of used belangers and mids for sale too.:dontknow: I have seen them in person and they still look pretty new to me.

IF it were reliable... and we had the chance to compare "apples to apples"

The Prof, and I have "like" trucks...his has catless, and mine HF....

He dynoed 15 to 20 more RWHP than I.... but again...it's "thin".

dfauerbach said:
Does anyone know how much of a difference catless mids make over the hi flow cats on Boomers site? I would love to go catless but nervous about getting stopped in a roadside inspection and getting a huge fine for not having any.
Dude, I've never heard of roadside inspections for mechanical equipment. DUI's yes, mechanical stuff no. That sucks. What state do you live in?

I doubt anyone would inspect for Cats on the roadside, maybe at the DMV, but not on the road. Just depends on the state for DMV inspections.

My someone educated guess would be 6-9 HP increase over the highflows being catless. I believe NBT and Prof's dynos, however any day a dyno can get different results and they are two different trucks even with similar mods. Albeit a good comparison.

On my hemi, I went Catless and added Long Tube ceramic headers and 3" midpipes and got 28 HP difference. I'm guessing about 15 of that was the ceramic longtube headers. So about 13 HP left (at the wheels) for the midpipes and cat delete.

My SRT I went High flows with my Belangers and Magnaflow. Did not have a before dyno however. I am assuming I had about 410-420 HP to the wheels before the install, and dyno'd 453HP after the install. So good gains, even with High-flows.

Nevertheless, if your state doesn't inspect or test for the cats, go with no-cats and sims. You can always weld in cats afterward if needed to do so, or if you moved to a state with inspections. I saved my cats from my hemi just in case. I believe you will gain some from no cats over high-flows. I'm surprised we don't have a dyno for ya.:eek:

Last edited:
moparracing said:
that is the great dilema, are you willing to risk it ???

myself, i intend to go with a complete b&b exhaust system (still waiting on a quote from boomer), because i can more easily swap out the mid-pipes from cat's to no cats......:D
hmmmmm, i answered your email about it, did you not get it?

I am thinking about going catless, as we do not have emissions, etc. My biggest concern is how much louder in the cab it will be :dontknow:

Currently I have the Magnaflow cat-back, if I remove the cats and install mid-pipes, how much drone and noise am I going to experience?

1Fast400 has a new set of belangers with highflow mids at a very good price. If I had the spare change laying around, I would have bought them already. Check the for sale section.

moparracing said:
not a complete price for all i asked for & i didn't get the shipping cost you said you would check on ??? :dontknow:
my bad your right. Gary at B&B went to PRI show for a week, then Xmas hit, and i got swamped. can you email me or buzz me tomorrow?
superbike shop 812-477-1740 or Xmetal 812-453-4862. i will make it up to ya and send Sickness over to your house to do some chores:D

Thanks for all the info, NJ checks for cats on roadside inspections actually. A friend of mine pulled them on his mustang and got a 10k fine. I live in FL right now where there is no inspection but will probably end up back in NJ before to long if my wife has her way. Thats why i am concerned but I think i will go catless and save them for when and if we move back.

Ive been driving our QC all week, and heres the just of the noise situation.

It has longtubes, no cat 3 inch mids and magnaflow,it is loud especially under WOT, but it is more of a drone at 70mph, nothing unacceptable, sorta like an old hotrod noise.

Under hard accleration its just plain noise to the ears:D

On an average between hi flows and no flows, the average is 10-15 hp difference at the wheels, that is also depending on mods and tune.

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back