challenger vs mustang

bird

Reaction score
challenger 5.7 mustang 4.6 anyone know how that would come out? and maybe some time's? I know the challenger is new just like to know!

Last edited:
I have to place my bet on the 5.7, I've drove both, and I have to say I am much more impressed with the charger with the 5.7 than the mustang with the 4.6.:D Still haven't had the pleasure of driving the challenger with the 5.7, but I'll tell you the 6.1 challanger hauls.......

SRT8 Challenger...Mustang has no chance........5.7 Challenger..not sure since the HP is up for 09 models...probably would be close...the 08 and earlier 5.7 Charger would usually beat a Stang from a roll but the Stang usually nudged out from a dig..

Are we talking S197 4.6 or a 03/04 Cobra 4.6? If so the S197 would lose. They are decent from a dig but they run out of steam quick. The Cobra on the other hand would win with all driver's being equal.

Pretyflywiteguy said:
Are we talking S197 4.6 or a 03/04 Cobra 4.6? If so the S197 would lose. They are decent from a dig but they run out of steam quick. The Cobra on the other hand would win with all driver's being equal.

You are correct about the 03/04 Cobra and drivers being equal.....I assumed current Mustang GT in my reply..

jbilledeaux said:
but I'll tell you the 6.1 challanger hauls.......

Almost as fast as the Shelby GT500.:)

Regardless, ALL of them are too f'n heavy.:(

In a comparison, the Mustang GT500 was faster but theChallenger SRT8 handled better and that is why they picked the Challenger. Sorry, I just can't remember the magazine. Sorry... :(:eek:

Wil

The 09 challenger got a boost and variable valve timing. I think 380 for auto and 385 for standard hp. No MDS on the 6 speed, my bet is the Challenger.

the GT 500 will kill a stock SRT 8 challenger, that is a bone stock challenger, and only if the GT driver is good off the line, if he goofs......and spins...... then no telling, it would depend on how far the race is.

But i tell ya, I have had more fun pushing the challenger thru the curves than anything, it actually does handle really really well, and hard to get the rear end to step out any at all.
but one thing to be careful of , which happened this evening on the way home, really pressing full throttle thru a curve, came past the apex, something caught my eye, and I closed the throttle thinkin it was a dog or something, and thr front end will absolutly wash out!
It seriously pushed the front end till the tires squaled from pain, i truely thought i fubared up, and if the turn had been a tad tighter I would have, luckaly there was enough road to pull it out.

so if ya go playing, runit on thru the curve;)

We have a mountain close by with awesome curves and no homes or side roads, and joanne is so impressed with the handling of the challenger she wants to run both the challenger and the cayman thru the curves,
personally i dont think the challenger has a chance in hell, but i also dont think the cayman will have a cake walk either;)

stink is right based on everything I have read....the Stang has a real problem hooking up and runs much slower than it is capable of...good driver, right track & maybe some DRs and the 500 could see high 11s...

Cudajon said:
The 09 challenger got a boost and variable valve timing. I think 380 for auto and 385 for standard hp. No MDS on the 6 speed, my bet is the Challenger.

370 and 375 for the manual but what's a couple horse power here and there... :D

TNVIPER said:
stink is right based on everything I have read....the Stang has a real problem hooking up and runs much slower than it is capable of...good driver, right track & maybe some DRs and the 500 could see high 11s...
Ya gotta stop reading and start driving!!

My Bud has a GT500 and I've driven it a few times.

When stock, they'll hook pretty well. Hell, even the Traction Control was designed to let you spin the tires for a bit before it kicks in, making it very difficult to screw the launch. Once moving, just slam the gears and go...

Now that my Bud's car has a few mods and makes 575 to the rear wheels (Stock they're about 440rwhp), it is a handfull in 1st and 2nd - and that's on ET Streets!

Hamrhead said:
Ya gotta stop reading and start driving!!

My Bud has a GT500 and I've driven it a few times.

When stock, they'll hook pretty well. Hell, even the Traction Control was designed to let you spin the tires for a bit before it kicks in, making it very difficult to screw the launch. Once moving, just slam the gears and go...

Now that my Bud's car has a few mods and makes 575 to the rear wheels (Stock they're about 440rwhp), it is a handfull in 1st and 2nd - and that's on ET Streets!

it is odd but I live in an area where 1 out of 3 vehicles are either a truck or mustang but I do not know anyone that owns a GT500....I pass 500s all the time so I know they are here...I have never seen one at the track but a friend of mine (a mustang nut) said one was at the track earlier this yr...said the guy never got out of the 14s...mainly do to spinning off the line

....so all I can go by is what I read & hear.......but I do love the stangs look but I would never consider it over the Challenger....heck..I would rather have an SRT8 Charger....I think the SRT vehicles are far superior...JMHO of course and not binding on others here..;)

TNVIPER said:
....so all I can go by is what I read & hear.......but I do love the stangs look but I would never consider it over the Challenger....heck..I would rather have an SRT8 Charger....I think the SRT vehicles are far superior...JMHO of course and not binding on others here..;)

Everyone has their preferences, and that's OK, but if you're ever in the market for a Challenger, you (at least) owe it to yourself to take a 500 for a Test Beat!

You simply can't go wrong with a Supercharged 4 Cam 32 Valve V8, 6 Speed, and REAL Wheel Drive!! You also have to consider the potential of these engines without ever removing the valve covers!!:rock: :burnout: :rock:
Hell, Ford even sells an upgraded supercharger for them which, when installed by a Ford Dealer, will add a TON of power AND retain your Warranty!

And it's still a muskstang... Everybody and their sisters has one here...Quite common to see 2 or more at a stoplight. I would rather have a new G.T.O. than a mustang. If I was looking at the saleen, rousch, or gt500 I would go for the z06 vette! Those 03-04 cobras were and still are the beast...Yes I said BEAST!

Motor trend tested a GT500 against the SRT 8 Challenger. GT500 posted times of 4.3 seconds 0 to 60, the Challenger was 4.7 to 60. I have a regular 2005 GT and a SRT8 Challenger and the Challenger wins easy in a race.

Thanks Soapy, I forgot it was the Motortrend article.

Wil

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back