Changing the exhaust from resonater

mr.srt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So gonna replace tips on the srt, will the sound be any diffrent if i change it from 2.5" to 3" all the way from the stock resonator..?
I dont want it to be louder so the stock resonator stays..

The guy doing this says the sound gonna be alitle bit deeper, but i dont think so..?

Cost abit more to get the 3" so if its nothing noticable im going with the same as it is, 2.5"

you won't notice much change at all as long as the resonator is still on there.

all of them, from the factory. It's a skinny rectangular shaped resonator and on the factory exhaust it's just past the exhaust tips. I droped the factory muffler on mine and added 2 off-brand mufflers (supposed to be along the lines of Flowmaster). The sound barely changed, so I went back the next day and had the resonator cut off and the sound changed quite a bit. Not too loud at all, but just deeper and a little more noticeable. Then I had my rear cats deleted and that just made it sound even more mean.

Maybe it is just RCs that don't have resonators. :dontknow:

Dodge didn't make quad cabs in 04. 04 RC have no resonators . everybody else had them .

Ditch the resonator, it just gives it a better sound. Its just a tiny bit louder. Its a good way to shed about 10lbs or so. They were put on the 05 06 models to keep dba levels down at travel speed after the rpm's bumped up when they changed to 456's.

Oh ya, go 3"! It'll give you more of a deep echo sound. Dont worry about it being too loud, if you dont touch the cats or muffler it will still be pretty quiet.

Mine is 3" from the Bassani muffler back and I took out the resonator and the drone at 70-80MPH is really bad!! Like your getting your head squeezed in a vise after about 10 minutes of it! The RPM range is from about 2200-2800RPM it's really bad! And I have Mopar LT and catless mids.

Mine is 3" from the Bassani muffler back and I took out the resonator and the drone at 70-80MPH is really bad!! Like your getting your head squeezed in a vise after about 10 minutes of it! The RPM range is from about 2200-2800RPM it's really bad! And I have Mopar LT and catless mids.

I'm also in the proces of wanting to change the exhaust. But i really have to avoid that or i would set fire to my srt..... I hate those drones.
70-80 mph is the speed i drive all of the time on the high way.
Slowly a plan for an exhaust is stumbling through my head....
Now i'm thinking of an exhaust with multiple changing diameters.
Example: 3" from the headers/cat's to the silencer, 3,5" for the silencer up to the axle and 4" for the axle to the rear bumper. The idea is to compensate for expanding exhaust gaz.
I don't know about the type of silencer yet.

That is important information for me.
When removing the resonator i got a gut feeling it needs to be replaced by something, not just a pipe. For the moment i don't have clue. Thought of the moment is a glass pack or something like that.

I haven't tried anything to try and get rid of it yet, there were a few guys that have with good results, I can't remember what they used now.

Get a properly engineered exhaust system from B&B and be done with it. :rock:

Not a chance!! B&B is ok, but I don't want what hundreds of others have!! There's only one other Bassani exhaust out there that I know out there, I think the Bassani sounds better then the B&B!!

My thought to. sometime it is fun to take a different path. That's why i want to make my own exhaust. I might succeed i can fail. It is part of the fun.

My thought to. sometime it is fun to take a different path. That's why i want to make my own exhaust. I might succeed i can fail. It is part of the fun.

Yeah exactly, I like to go different routes then everyone else, I like my exhaust,I tried something different and I like the unique tone it makes!

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back