Changing thermostat

05Silver10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When changing my thermostat do I need to empty my coolant reservoir? I am planning to replace mine this weekend and need to know how much anti freeze I need to buy.

I would go ahead and drain everything to technically do the job correctly and replace all that old coolant. The corrosion inhibitors so wear out. Oreielly auto has G-05 coolant in concentrate form. Get 2 gals of that and 3 gals of distilled water from your local grocery.

I would go ahead and drain everything to technically do the job correctly and replace all that old coolant. The corrosion inhibitors so wear out. Oreielly auto has G-05 coolant in concentrate form. Get 2 gals of that and 3 gals of distilled water from your local grocery.

Thanks! I was planning to replace the coolant anyway since I am sure its the factory coolant

Pretty much what he said ^^. Make sure and bleed air from the bleeder or you'll have crazy temp fluctuations as the sensor is subjected to the air.

When you go to bleed the air out, make sure the front of the truck is elevated, and that your heater is turned to full hot.

You have to be a supporting member to access that section....

I did the thermostat today. Piece of cake. Took about an hour or so. I threw my old stat in some hot water to see when it opened. It was a 185 degree and it didn't start to open until about 195 and that is just barely cracking open. Took it to almost 210 to finally be fully open. I stuck a 170 degree in for future fan tuning but I will see if this helps my fluctuation that I was having. It seems to me the old stat was not working properly. Also, WOW there is a lot of air to bleed from the system. I bled it, drove it, bled it, drove it, and bled it again. I will probably do some more bleeding tomorrow after I drive it to work and back. :beer::beer:

WOW, I only bleed mine once when I did my hoses and stat.........

Yeah hope you don't keep getting air in there or you may have another issue. :(
Hopefully your temp stays right at 185 at all times now ;)

The last time I bled it all I got were a few small bubbles and it cleared up. It ran in my driveway for about 30 minutes and never got over about 185 ish. Oh and I did drain my whole system and re serviced it. That could be why so much air got in there. I figured it was time since its and 05 and I am pretty sure it was the original

Last edited:
The last time I bled it all I got were a few small bubbles and it cleared up. It ran in my driveway for about 30 minutes and never got over about 185 ish. Oh and I did drain my whole system and re serviced it. That could be why so much air got in there. I figured it was time since its and 05 and I am pretty sure it was the original

So I'm assuming its safe to install a 170 t-stat with out tuning the fan? I know "tuning" the fan is just setting at what temp the fan turns on/off.

So I'm assuming its safe to install a 170 t-stat with out tuning the fan? I know "tuning" the fan is just setting at what temp the fan turns on/off.

Yes you can but the tune takes full benefit of the lower temp stat. You can do it prior to a tune. It won't harm anything! :drool:

BTW, I checked my coolant this evening and all looks good level wise and no more air in the system. The coolant temp stayed just a hair above 170 the whole time I drove today. Even around town in stop and go. We will see how it does as the week goes on once it warms up a bit outside.:D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back