chroming engine parts

MoparMan84

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere that if you chrome engine parts it will make it retain more heat. Is this true?

Yes it is true that chromed parts retain heat.

There are types of coatings that retain heat and some that dissipate heat.

What are you trying to do ?

I think somebody polished there intake 2 or 3 years ago. You could do a search for the pics or maybe one of the old school will remember. Just don't buy a J H intake.

MoparMan84 said:
I wanted to have my intake manifold chromed or polished to a mirror finish.

The polished or chromed intakes look good for sure.

The situation with "heat soak" would come into play after you shut down the motor and let it sit for 5-10 minutes.

"Heat soak" will be worse with a polished or chromed manifold.

Unless you are going after big HP I would not worry about heat soak.

The computer will pull a lot of timing when it senses hot intake air temperatures.

I personally would not worry about heat soak and just go for the look you want.

I am running a modified stock style intake on the red truck and I had it powder coated by JMB Justin.

I did not want the upkeep of polished and did want to pay for chrome.

There is the spray on coating that Edelbrock uses and calls it Endura Shine.
It is in my opinion a good look and there are several places that can do this type of finish.

I am putting up a pics of the powder coating that JMB did on my parts .

Attachments

• Procharger JMB 3.jpg
    Procharger JMB 3.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 411
  • Procharger JMB 5.jpg
    Procharger JMB 5.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 436
  • Motor on floor.jpg
    Motor on floor.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 435
FSTJACK said:
The polished or chromed intakes look good for sure.

The situation with "heat soak" would come into play after you shut down the motor and let it sit for 5-10 minutes.

"Heat soak" will be worse with a polished or chromed manifold.

Unless you are going after big HP I would not worry about heat soak.

The computer will pull a lot of timing when it senses hot intake air temperatures.

I personally would not worry about heat soak and just go for the look you want.

I am running a modified stock style intake on the red truck and I had it powder coated by JMB Justin.

I did not want the upkeep of polished and did want to pay for chrome.

There is the spray on coating that Edelbrock uses and calls it Endura Shine.
It is in my opinion a good look and there are several places that can do this type of finish.

I am putting up a pics of the powder coating that JMB did on my parts .
show off:D

Anyone know where I can get a Gen III intake manifold for a decent price? Contacted X2 builders and they quoted me $750. Also, would I gain anything from porting and polishing the inside of the manifold?

does that thingy run or is it just for looking at ;) :aetsch: :aetsch: :fisheye:

MoparMan84 said:
Anyone know where I can get a Gen III intake manifold for a decent price? Contacted X2 builders and they quoted me $750. Also, would I gain anything from porting and polishing the inside of the manifold?

There high on there engine stuff:( Quoted me like $3500 for a block with a crank.

You should be able to get an intake for $200-300;)

Ironhead said:
does that thingy run or is it just for looking at ;) :aetsch: :aetsch: :fisheye:

We should find out in a couple of weeks........................:aetsch::aetsch::aetsch::aetsch::aetsch::aetsch::aetsch::aetsch::aetsch::aetsch::aetsch::aetsch::aetsch::aetsch::aetsch::aetsch::aetsch:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back