Clearcoat

PaddyOBrian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have any of you here had issues with the clearcoat peeling on your truck?

I washed the truck today and while I was drying it off I noticed that the clear is peeling off behind the wheel on the passenger side. That kinda sucks but the dealer should take care of it. The key word is should.

lower portion of the bed just behing the wheel well. I just looked at it and it's worse than I originally thought. They better cover it. I'll post a pic here soon enough.

PaddyOBrian said:

I washed the truck today and while I was drying it off I noticed that the clear is peeling off behind the wheel on the passenger side. That kinda sucks but the dealer should take care of it. The key word is should.

Has your truck has prior paint work done? This could be the result of improper prepwork. :eek:

What is the surface like under the clear? Is if dull or is it glossy too? :dontknow:

Either way it sucks bro, I hope the dealer fixes you up. :)

Sounds like it has been either touched up or repainted -- Here in Arizona dealers only have to disclosed prior damage it is over a certain amount - not sure what it is but over a quarter panel repaint.

But - the dealer should have records of repair whether or not he disclosed it to you so you should have no problem getting it covered under warranty whether it came from the factory that way or the dealer repainted it.

If you bought it used then all bets are off but if the under coat color is good your talking about prep and repray of clear -- no biggy and under $100

PaddyOBrian said:

me either:dontknow:

Ya i have the same issue and mine has had no work done to it... its about eye level on the cab behind the door on mine.. there is about a 2 by 2 inch spot with no clear coat .. pisses me off ...

My 04 Ram Dually had an issue with paint and I received a letter from Chrysler upgrading my paint warranty to 10 years or 100,000 miles. Being that most of the ram trucks are assembled in Mexico I wonder if they had issues with other models and years but did not disclose the issues to the public.

I remember issues with some other owners who could actually look into the paint and see primer past the base and clear coat which shows how thick they did not lay it on during the paint process. I would not be surprised to see more issues pop up over the next few years as most trucks age.

I would take it in and have the dealer look at it.

Back