Clipper 2.5 MW Liberty Wind Turbine

devildog02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. As some of you know I work for Clipper Wind. I'm out in the field now and got to climb my first tower!:rock: Part of the climb test was to get on top of the nicelle. The platform, which is where I took the video from is 180' tall! First timmers are not allowed to use the manlift, so its stright up the ladder!:dontknow: :argh: Im sore as all get out!:D This vid is from the Crystal Lake, Iowa wind farm. We have 80 there. Ill be traveling all over in the near months if things go as planed. Might hit some of you up for good places to eat dinner! Ill get some better video soon!

Wow! Your up there. Hope you had some WD40 and shot whatever was squeaking. Stay tied off.

Sorry I just saw the 2.5MW......does your company only service them or do they manufacture them too? I am interested because I may be able to do some business with your company in the near future for a mega project powering a small town estimated above $500,000,000

kickinassrt-10 said:
What kind of wind do you work with? Wind turbine tower's for electricity?
Yes it is wind for eletricity. And i just found out it is 280 feet, not 180. no wonder im so sore!

kickinassrt-10 said:
Sorry I just saw the 2.5MW......does your company only service them or do they manufacture them too? I am interested because I may be able to do some business with your company in the near future for a mega project powering a small town estimated above $500,000,000
We manufacture them and also service them. I was told that our Liberty 2.5MW is 2.5 million each and our warranty is 20 years. Check out clipperwind.com for a contact who could help you out more. I have a couple more vids if you want to see them. one is of inside.:dontknow:

devildog02 said:
We manufacture them and also service them. I was told that our Liberty 2.5MW is 2.5 million each and our warranty is 20 years. Check out clipperwind.com for a contact who could help you out more. I have a couple more vids if you want to see them. one is of inside.:dontknow:
Yea I'm definitely going to check it out....I'm in the renewable energy field and my problem down here in florida is wind loads (must be rated for 150 mph or removeable for hurricanes) other is wind is not always strong here but if it only needs a start up wind and could run on constant minimal that may work.... The deal is going to be huge and we plan to pitch in the next few weeks/months....it's always good to know my options.....awesome job you got there!

devildog02 said:

UMMMM DEVILDOG02

this might be an opportunity knocking at your door, and your just referring it off to a website????

Common man what are you thinking.... If your two companies did business for a 500,000,000 project and you found the customer believe me you should be requesting a commission of 1 or 2% from your company.. Common man use your head... Let them know you have a customer ready to spend 500,000,000 and you will bring them the deal but you need some serious bux....

kickinassrt-10 said:
Yea I'm definitely going to check it out....I'm in the renewable energy field and my problem down here in florida is wind loads (must be rated for 150 mph or removeable for hurricanes) other is wind is not always strong here but if it only needs a start up wind and could run on constant minimal that may work.... The deal is going to be huge and we plan to pitch in the next few weeks/months....it's always good to know my options.....awesome job you got there!
one of our bigger customers is FPL. infact they own the turbins we are working on here in Crystal Lake. They might be another point of contact for info. (Florida Power & Light) The wind division is now (New Era) my spelling is not great:dontknow: I think all of our customers sell the power back to the grid and collect funds rather then power their town/citys. Let me know if I can help in anyway!!:rock:

SRT10VENOMOUS said:
UMMMM DEVILDOG02

this might be an opportunity knocking at your door, and your just referring it off to a website????

Common man what are you thinking.... If your two companies did business for a 500,000,000 project and you found the customer believe me you should be requesting a commission of 1 or 2% from your company.. Common man use your head... Let them know you have a customer ready to spend 500,000,000 and you will bring them the deal but you need some serious bux....
1-2% is a lot on that kind of deal commission...were getting about 3-6% on our end only other factor is that about half may need to be financed....that is where our trouble is coming in at this point....hence the reason we haven't pitched it yet! Looking to get financing in place.....I would imagine your company may have contacts since they build them...if you do let me know and I will try to get the ball rolling....BTW we just pitched a $3.5 million deal to the same customer and are signing in the next few weeks....after that we may be doing up to 10 more buildings all with different needs and costs....but a wind farm is our goal with them!

devildog02 said:
one of our bigger customers is FPL. infact they own the turbins we are working on here in Crystal Lake. They might be another point of contact for info. (Florida Power & Light) The wind division is now (New Era) my spelling is not great:dontknow: I think all of our customers sell the power back to the grid and collect funds rather then power their town/citys. Let me know if I can help in anyway!!:rock:
That is the other reason we are proposing the wind farm in the near future, resell power to the grid....btw I live in florida and our client hates hates hates FP&L...I do too!:D Also they are last on the grid so they're power gets cut off first....

SRT10VENOMOUS said:
UMMMM DEVILDOG02

Thanks for the advice, but i just build the gearbox. I dont have all the tech info they need. Maybe they will throw my name out in the air and get me an atta boy. Thats good enough for me. Our turbins are the biggest in the US and befor I left (for field work) we were at 96% availability on a one off design that has only been in the market for 3-4 years.

devildog02 said:
Thanks for the advice, but i just build the gearbox. I dont have all the tech info they need. Maybe they will throw my name out in the air and get me an atta boy. Thats good enough for me. Our turbins are the biggest in the US and befor I left (for field work) we were at 96% availability on a one off design that has only been in the market for 3-4 years.
meaning you get 96% productivity out of them? Those are impressive numbers...I am going to check out your website and when the time comes I'm sure I'll be contacting you or your company....on a deal that size your name will get thrown out and hell if it saves money you know what happens:D

kickinassrt-10 said:
That is the other reason we are proposing the wind farm in the near future, resell power to the grid....btw I live in florida and our client hates hates hates FP&L...I do too!:D Also they are last on the grid so they're power gets cut off first....
BP is another big customer, if you can find a POC there that might help. Ill try to get another vid up here that shows inside the tower.

devildog02 said:
BP is another big customer, if you can find a POC there that might help. Ill try to get another vid up here that shows inside the tower.
Cool....this is too much of a coincidence:D like I said the only obstacles we are facing as of this point is something able to work of minimal wind once it gets rotating, wind rating loads due to hurricanes, and lastly, as of now is the financing

kickinassrt-10 said:
Cool....this is too much of a coincidence:D like I said the only obstacles we are facing as of this point is something able to work of minimal wind once it gets rotating, wind rating loads due to hurricanes, and lastly, as of now is the financing
I was told at my Cedar Rapids plant that we need a 5mph wind to make power, and I was told today by the field tech guys that max power is right around 8 meter a second. He didnt and I dont know what that converts to in MPH, but I do know ours do very well in low wind, better then anything else made here. as for high wind, if it gets up there it will be shut down. I do not know at what speed that is though. I can send an email to the plant and see who you should talk to if you like:dontknow: I would not be able to get back to you until late tomorrow night. were working a lot of hours out here.:( its gonna take a while for the other vids, it takes a while for me to upload on photo bucket:mad:

devildog02 said:
I was told at my Cedar Rapids plant that we need a 5mph wind to make power, and I was told today by the field tech guys that max power is right around 8 meter a second. He didnt and I dont know what that converts to in MPH, but I do know ours do very well in low wind, better then anything else made here. as for high wind, if it gets up there it will be shut down. I do not know at what speed that is though. I can send an email to the plant and see who you should talk to if you like:dontknow: I would not be able to get back to you until late tomorrow night. were working a lot of hours out here.:( its gonna take a while for the other vids, it takes a while for me to upload on photo bucket:mad:
No prob on the vid...I'll get in touch with you tomorrow afternoon after I speak to my partner and some other key players on this deal! thanks so far this may have helped me an extreme amount in my searches...

kickinassrt-10 said:
No prob on the vid...I'll get in touch with you tomorrow afternoon after I speak to my partner and some other key players on this deal! thanks so far this may have helped me an extreme amount in my searches...
you're welcome! Ill get the other vids up tomorrow.

Won't find me up there, thats for sure.
Stay safe. Looks like a heck of a view.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back