Clutch & Brake fluid problems

Westxsrt10 said:
I have always been a firm believer in keeping the fluids fresh and it appears its more important than i thought. This link came from the corvette forum but it applys to our trucks also....same goes for the auto trans fluids too. http://www.rangeracceleration.com/Clutch_Care.html

Kick ass article, more people should take note:rock:

I changed the fluid weekly in my racebikes

I changed my fluid out to Valvoline Full Synthetic Brake Fluid the other day before going to the track. Since then the clutch has been acting up. On Saturday shifting from 2nd to 3rd at a high rpm the clutch would not disenge, sifter was stuck in 2nd, the peddle felt very soft, and the engine was screamin. This happened before the truck got to normal operating temp, and it was the first time it was started that day. On the way home for getting groceries no issues so I didn't think anything of it. Same thing happened on Sunday. Now I'm starting to freak out. So I pull over and popped open the hood and noticed the reservoir was low went to the autopart store and bought another bottled filled it. Continued driving around that day no issues. This morning I started up the truck and sat in the driveway for about 3 minutes to let her warm up. As press the clutch I felt it was very soft not the usual presure, and tried to move the shifter in 1st gear but would not go. Release the peddle pumped it a few times and presure felt normal. After that everything peachy.

Do you guys think it could be the fluid I'm using? Did I f@#$up my clutch by having low fluid? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Litemup, you still on the stock clutch and hydrolics? If so, its prolly toast, I cant imagine the stock setup lasting long with a SC and any hard launches.

patrick

Unless you complettly drained and flushed the stock fluid, synthetic dont really go well together with dot 3 or 4.

suggestion, the system needs completly flushed, then go back with a good dot 4, but be sure to get all the air competly out.

mauiSRT/10 said:
Litemup, you still on the stock clutch and hydrolics? If so, its prolly toast, I cant imagine the stock setup lasting long with a SC and any hard launches.

patrick

Yep I'm still on the stock clutch. I really don't get on her that often, but when I do the clutch doesn't seem to slip. Weird thing is this didn't start until I changed out the fluid. I probably left some air in the line when I did this. :confused:

Stinker said:
Unless you complettly drained and flushed the stock fluid, synthetic dont really go well together with dot 3 or 4.

suggestion, the system needs completly flushed, then go back with a good dot 4, but be sure to get all the air competly out.

What dot 4 fluid do you recommend?

LitemUp said:
What dot 4 fluid do you recommend?

Castrol makes some good stuff, as well as motul bro,

dont know how ya drainin it but fill up the resevoir, then have someone depress the pedal "slowly" and crack open the bleeder, and shut it off before it quits bleeding and do that aobut 40-50 times and you should be pretty much good to go.

Stinker said:
Castrol makes some good stuff, as well as motul bro,

dont know how ya drainin it but fill up the resevoir, then have someone depress the pedal "slowly" and crack open the bleeder, and shut it off before it quits bleeding and do that aobut 40-50 times and you should be pretty much good to go.

Thanks!

Valvoline Full Synthetic Brake Fluid is Dot 4.....it mixes with Dot 3 or 4. The fluid to stay away from is 'Dot 5' because of its thermo expansion properties. Sounds like you make have air in the system now.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back