Clutch engagement/Pedal position ????

Rice Eater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems that my clutch engages only at the last 1/4 of the pedal position...is this common w/ these trucks? In other words when I press the pedal all the way to the floor and slowly let it out I am way past the half way point on the way up before it begings to grip and move forward. It was this way when I bought it w/ a marginal clutch but I recently had the prescision/l.w. flywheel kit installed and the engagement is at the same place. Just seems different than other cars.

That sound about right. Funny thing is, at least on my truck, is that it does dive down as the RPMs go up. It doesn't even seem to be heat related. On a couple near-red-line downshifts the pedal almost has to hit the floor before the clutch opens up. :dontknow: I can pump it back to normal, but WTF?

I'm just waiting for it to completely burn so I can go for the lightened flywheel.:D

I have the same feel with my clutch, its right at the end of the pedal, makes for super fast shifting under all but 100% throttle, just blip the pedal and shift. I thought my clutch was going south as every time I pull it in the trailer it stinks and I'm just easin the pedal out, hardly any throttle at all, having it checked again when I do the LF next week.

ok thanks for the info. i wonder why it smells like that when just easing in and out of gear...i noticed the same thing tonight backing into a spot. I thought it was just because mine is a new clutch. I can't wait till i have 500 miles on it so I can start banging the gears to see how she really feels. the LW flywheel made a huge seat of the pants improvement!

It will be the same with the new set up. "Different" but the same let out.

Rice Eater said:
ok thanks for the info. i wonder why it smells like that when just easing in and out of gear...i noticed the same thing tonight backing into a spot. I thought it was just because mine is a new clutch. I can't wait till i have 500 miles on it so I can start banging the gears to see how she really feels. the LW flywheel made a huge seat of the pants improvement!
Cool, I'm gonna do the LF too, which one did you get, the Fidenza? Its silly how easy it can stink like burning clutch, I had the same thing backing up the other day too.....hhhmmm kinda strange.....:dontknow:

Heat is a major problem with our clutches. When I go to the track and do back to back runs I usually have a harder time on the 2nd pass.

InfinitySRT said:
Cool, I'm gonna do the LF too, which one did you get, the Fidenza? Its silly how easy it can stink like burning clutch, I had the same thing backing up the other day too.....hhhmmm kinda strange.....:dontknow:

Yeah I got the kit from Roe so centerforce and fidenza setup. I also noticed when slipping the clutch in reverse the a$$ end kinda hops a little even when backing up slow.:dontknow:

UNIBOY said:
Heat is a major problem with our clutches. When I go to the track and do back to back runs I usually have a harder time on the 2nd pass.

do you mean that the clutch doesn't grip as well on the 2nd hot lap pass or its harder to hit the gears??

Uh... burning clutch stink = clutch burning. :eek:

I never drag the clutch. Sure, that means surging and lurching through parking lots, but ouch. I must be doing better than I thought. I only smoked the clutch once and that was on my uncle's new cobble driveway. I didn't want to piss him off by leaving Scorpion streaks behind. :D

Advice: spin the tires, not the clutch.:burnout:

Rice Eater said:
do you mean that the clutch doesn't grip as well on the 2nd hot lap pass or its harder to hit the gears??

Hard to get in gears.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back