Clutch grab question

Gecko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I had my new clutch put in, Spec Stage 2+ with fidenza flywheel and stock hydraulics. I just got my 500 miles of break in today and I have a question. When I first got the clutch the catch spot was super low, like just barely start coming off the clutch pedal and it would catch, and catch hard. Like really hard. Now that I've had it for the 500 miles it seems that the spot has moved and I can't come close to even replicating that hard catch. It almost seems super soft when grabbing. I wouldn't necessarily say it's slipping but I feel really slow coming off the line and can't seem to make it catch hard no matter how I try to launch it. Did I mess things up during break in or is this normal? Any suggestions?

So I had my new clutch put in, Spec Stage 2+ with fidenza flywheel and stock hydraulics. I just got my 500 miles of break in today and I have a question. When I first got the clutch the catch spot was super low, like just barely start coming off the clutch pedal and it would catch, and catch hard. Like really hard. Now that I've had it for the 500 miles it seems that the spot has moved and I can't come close to even replicating that hard catch. It almost seems super soft when grabbing. I wouldn't necessarily say it's slipping but I feel really slow coming off the line and can't seem to make it catch hard no matter how I try to launch it. Did I mess things up during break in or is this normal? Any suggestions?

You should be able to chirp the first 4 gears. It shouldn't be right off the floor engaging but rather around halway.

You should be able to chirp the first 4 gears. It shouldn't be right off the floor engaging but rather around halway.
Are you saying if I dump the clutch I should or a quick grab and hard acceleration should chirp?

Its not bled all the way.
And this would cause only first to grab soft but the rest to grab fine? I mean I haven't really gotten on it yet since it's been raining since I got it broken in, so I haven't been able to see how it grabs when shifting quick. It seems to be pretty normal when just casually driving though.

In any case how would I bleed it?

And this would cause only first to grab soft but the rest to grab fine? I mean I haven't really gotten on it yet since it's been raining since I got it broken in, so I haven't been able to see how it grabs when shifting quick. It seems to be pretty normal when just casually driving though.

In any case how would I bleed it?

Yes a nice quick shift with corresponding clutching should result in you roasting the tires in second, a nice 3rd gear chirp and a quick 4th chirp. Regardless, around 3000 RPM dumping in first shouldn't be soft. A fast ckutch release from 1500 should result in you being set in the seat firmly and the truck propelling forward like a rocket.
It's bled at slave. There's a fitting sticking out that when loosened will bleed fluid. Main thing is it's all fluid, not air spurts.

I guess I'll bleed the slave and go from there.

Yes a nice quick shift with corresponding clutching should result in you roasting the tires in second, a nice 3rd gear chirp and a quick 4th chirp. Regardless, around 3000 RPM dumping in first shouldn't be soft. A fast ckutch release from 1500 should result in you being set in the seat firmly and the truck propelling forward like a rocket.
It's bled at slave. There's a fitting sticking out that when loosened will bleed fluid. Main thing is it's all fluid, not air spurts.

With stock HP or power adders? Seriously never really recall getting a chirp or anything from 2nd plus. Unless raining. Even at the end of tire life.

With stock HP or power adders? Seriously never really recall getting a chirp or anything from 2nd plus. Unless raining. Even at the end of tire life.

Full bolt ons, no power adders in a Quad Cab. Obviously depends on pavement type whether you'll hear a chirp or not. Done it on 31" slicks as well ;)
Here's a 12.49 pass barking all 4 on a sticky track!
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Urc1yyxuxU&sns=em[/ame]

Last edited:
12.61 pass

Here's another :)
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFCBQiQbZ3U&sns=em[/ame]

Sent from my Razor :)

Well, my factory power isn't running 12.40's, nor is it chirping. Need to be running 2 seconds faster than my 14.3 to let the chirps out I suppose.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back