Clutch issues, Need Advice.

RollinHard

Reaction score
Ill try to keep it short, I think i need a new clutch, Ive seen people mentioning the SPEC and centerforce. Can you guys just throw your opinions at me about which would be the best bet. Its just an 05 with catless mids, K&N, and the SCT tuner. At 76K currently. So i dont think i need a some crazy dragstrip clutch.
Also, ive seen the Hydraulics upgrade from Roe....??? waste of money? Could that be the issuse? The clutch started acting a little strange about a month ago. I noticed when i got on it and went to shift to 2nd, the pedal would hit the floor and stay there, i would put it in Neutral real quick an let it roll and it seemed the pedal would have pressure within seconds after it happened. Now it goes almost to the floor without any feeling of resistence.

Any advice helps....Thanks

You should upgrade the slave fore sure. I had a Centerforce and liked it. Never have used a Spec.

Upgrade the slave for sure, and I like the SPEC over the Centerforce. Tony can get you hooked up.

i bought my truck with 15k...the slave went out at 25k or so...

i had a new slave replaced under warranty, and at 90k the second one went out...i've heard they did a re-design of the slave in some form or another, and i presume that's why it lasted as long as it has...

i went ahead and installed the new clutch (spec stage 1) this christmas along with another oem slave setup. i probably had another 15-20k miles left on the ORIGINAL clutch to that truck, but it was foolish not to install it with the tranny out...

MY suggestion...unless funds are no object...put a new oem slave in it and keep rollin...

but i really like the spec...pickup is smooth, and it's not as stiff as the oem, believe it or not...

and anyone can attest here that i drive the dog shit out of my truck...

Try this first tho buddy, have the fluid in the clutch flushed and refilled, alot of times the fluid deteriorates (crap however ya spell it:D) the fluid goes bad! LOL

but replacing the fluid has brought alot of life back into folks clutches that they thought were bad, the heat breaks down the oem fluid , going back an replacing the oem fluid with a high heat fluid will bring the pedal back and the performance of the clutch,

its cheap to have done, and could save you some $$ for a bit, if you have it done and the clutch still acts up , then yessir you will probably need a clutch

Ok sounds good. could you possibly throw me a few prices for a new Clutch and a new slave? or even just a ball park figure? just to help me think.

Try this first tho buddy, have the fluid in the clutch flushed and refilled, alot of times the fluid deteriorates (crap however ya spell it:D) the fluid goes bad! LOL

but replacing the fluid has brought alot of life back into folks clutches that they thought were bad, the heat breaks down the oem fluid , going back an replacing the oem fluid with a high heat fluid will bring the pedal back and the performance of the clutch,

its cheap to have done, and could save you some $$ for a bit, if you have it done and the clutch still acts up , then yessir you will probably need a clutch

Yeah tony is right, my pedal hit the floor and didnt come back up, upon buying the whole hydraulics upgrade, flywheel and clutch.

I learned that it just needed fluid, but clutch was shot so Had it all replaced.

went with the centerforce and lightweight flywheel. def worth the money

but for a stockish truck...the stage 1 is a GREAT replacement...just finished my break-in miles this past weekend...so had to go beat up on my buddy's 340 duster...4spd with 4:30 gears;)....

haha...poor duster:D

I'm well over 100K miles on my original clutch and slave. One thing I noticed right after I drove off the dealers lot was how quickly the stock fluid broke down. I have since flushed the system every other oil change and believe that has allowed my stock setup to last as long as it has... Sounds like it might be too late for you but I'd suggest flushing the fluid a few times and if not then upgrade the stock slave with metal viper version.

i want you to know, chuck...i pulled that clutch out (91k miles), and there was still probably 20k miles or so left on it...

i just already had the new one, and found it foolish not to install it...

What a lot of folks don't realize is that clutches don't just go bad due to high miles. They go bad from heat as well. The cover plate over time gets stiff and that's why the pedal feels really hard to press. Additionally, that's what forces the slave to fail from the extreme heat and increased pressure.

Many don't notice this because the pedal feel gets progressively worse and stiffer over time. Only when the clutch is replaced do you feel how soft the new one is.

The Spec III+ is a phenomenal clutch. The Factory clutch is also a very good clutch. They both need to be broken in properly to work effectively; 500 miles of city driving.

:driver:

My slave went out at about 15K. I never noticed any pedal feel differences, until one day after work I tried to start the truck and the pedal hit the floor with no resistance. I checked the clutch resevoir and it was bone dry. According to my dealer the slave had a small leak, small enough to go undetected, e.g. drips on the garage floor. Luckily though, the clutch disk and plate were not damaged. I had the slave cylinder replaced under warranty and now everyother time I gas up, I check the fluid level.

I'd try flushing and new fluid before parts/upgrades.

Back