Clutch smell....

MassRiper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I've tried searching and didn't really find a thread that answered what my issue is... I bought my truck with 57k miles on it almost a year ago and it now has 62k. Since the day I drove it home, anytime I feather the clutch at all it smells. When I beat on it hard it gets real spongy but never slips. I was told by vprpwrd on Instagram to try bleeding the clutch before replacing it. I did and went and left this in second with no brakes involved.
photo_zpse246e878.jpg

Needless to say I had the same effect, didn't slip at all but afterwords stunk like clutch and pedal was super spongy. I tried going 50 in 5th and stomping it and have no clutch slip....would I benefit from the hydraulics upgrade? I was looking into that but if I need to pull the Trans to do it I might as well replace the clutch while I'm in there....or should I just try bleeding out all the old fluid and replacing with dot4? I only bled it about 4 times when I did it...:confused:

Wow I didn't know you did seal coating. Can you do my driveway? LOL! If your clutch isn't slipping I'm not sure why you keep smelling clutch unless you are just riding the pedal out too much?? As for the bleeding, keep trying, sometimes it takes quite a while to bleed it out completely and definitely use DOT4. When I did my hydraulic upgrade with metal slave I did not replace my stock clutch but I only had like 20K miles on it. If you decide to go that route you might really want to consider doing the clutch too seeing as you have over 60K on her, and it seems that your driving style might not agree with a stock clutch for too much longer! :D

My guess is you have an aftermarket clutch that doesn't like being slipped. Many of them will smell trying to pull up a steep grade, onto car ramps.lift, etc.
Try your clutch test in 6th instead of 5th ;)
You may have air in your master and not in lines or slave. What process did you use to bleed?

Of coarse I make house calls Jeremy!! Haha to bleed the clutch I had someone slowly press the pedal down like 10 times then hold it and I cracked the bleeder open. Repeated this process about 4 times. Made sure the fluid didn't drop too low in the reservoir.

Of coarse I make house calls Jeremy!! Haha to bleed the clutch I had someone slowly press the pedal down like 10 times then hold it and I cracked the bleeder open. Repeated this process about 4 times. Made sure the fluid didn't drop too low in the reservoir.

That should've done the trick. You can also have a buddy reservoir full while you crack bleeder and let it run out for a bit then close. (Gravity bleed)

When you say you crack bleeder open, you did a quick burst open and closed correct? Just like brakes you want to do quick short open and closed actions with a wrench while he is at the floor with pedal. If he even slightly comes off floor it can suck air back into the system. Do try a 50-55 mph in 6th acceleration test as well :)

Yeh just a quick open and close a couple times. I'll try bleeding out all the dot3 and replace with dot4 and then give it the test in 6th. But I usually drive in 6th anything above 40mph and never notice it slipping at all...if it just smelled and didn't slip I wouldn't be concerned but the spongy pedal is what gives me more concern.

If you are smelling clutch ,you will need to replace the disk/pressureplate maybe the flywheel . At first it will slip but grab after it gets hot. hard to notice except for the tell tale smell. won't be long and you won't climb any hills! Change the clutch and hydraulics. Check for upgraded hydraulics. it may have already been upgraded. if it has there will be a reservoir screwed to the firewall rightside of the brake booster.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back