Clutch Stuck Disengaged!

Big Jimbo

Reaction score
I have just finished installing a 2004 Ram SRT-10 motor in my 1959 Plymouth and after driving it a few minutes the clutch stuck in the disengaged position. The clutch pedal felt normal, but the clutch would not engage. I am using a Wilwood master cylinder with the same size piston as the stock unit, and it bled well and worked very smoothly for about the first 10 minutes. I pulled the transmission out today and see what happened, and there is some type of spacer that has been binding. I can't find a picture of it in the shop manual. When I pulled the trans it fell on the ground so I am not sure how it had been installed. I can see where the teeth have been binding. The teeth in the clutch seem to not be damaged. The throw out bearing spins smoothly. I read on this site about changing out the slave cylinder and using a stronger clutch, but this car only weighs 3200# :rock: and the tires are only 255x15 so the stock ones should be plenty strong. Anyone here familiar with what happened to this engagement spacer? :dontknow:

Attachments

• PlyVip.jpg
    PlyVip.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 181
  • Spacer.jpg
    Spacer.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 206
  • Clutch.jpg
    Clutch.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 227
  • Release bearing.jpg
    Release bearing.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 630
will that little collar fit on the header shaft splines???

to me it looks like what i'm used to callin a spline saver.

a type of adapter. looks like it fits into the clutch disc & adapts down to fit the header shaft.

make more discs fit more applications.

wonder if thats the stock clutch or a local rebuild??????

Last edited:
I've honestly never seen a spacer thing like that before.. Also, nice car :D

Andrew

Sorry can't help ya ....

But Congrats on stuffing that 10 in that car ... Must Sh*t and git ....

clutch

Yea I think the previous owner of the engine /trans "adapted" the wrong disc to the input shaft to sell it . Get a proper disc and pressure plate and definitely the viper slave upgrade and all will be well. .:rock:

thats the inner adapter they use in many clutches today to fit many styles, there should be a clip that held it in place on the disc , the clip is gone an your adapter came out,
suggestion is getting another clip to hold it in place or another disc. and you should be good to go

The adapter does fit of the transmission splines, and then the outer splines fit into the clutch splines. So it is an adapter for a different clutch plate. I thought it was a stock setup, but must be aftermarket. Can you tell if the pressure plate looks like the stock one or will I need to raplace it too if I get a stock clutch plate? And replace the slave too while it is apart? :argh:
Where would be a good place to buy all of this stuff?

I thought it was the stock clutch. Can you tell by the picture if it is the stock pressure plate? Should I replace the Slave while it is apart even if it is working OK? Where is a good place to buy all of the parts? Thanks!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back