Cold

Heck, don't need to got that far north to get really cold. here in MN, just N. of Mpls. we went from a week and half of single digit +/- zero highs w/ teens/20's below windchills to a couple days of warm up topping out about +38f and then dropped a record of 51 degrees in well under 24hrs and bottomed out the day after that (2 days ago) at -17 w/-47 wind chill. Colder in other parts of state. 3 below now at 1am and may hit +22 Fri. afternoon.
Not quite as cold as the Canada guys #'s, but alot further South and I don't think many could really tell the diff. When it gets past about 15-20 below w/or w/o wind it's just Damn Cold!! no matter how you look at it.

yah its been a bad week, its the worst when stuff starts freezing at the plant (SAGD oil plant) and you have to go out and fix it

MYTRAM said:
Heck, don't need to got that far north to get really cold. here in MN, just N. of Mpls. we went from a week and half of single digit +/- zero highs w/ teens/20's below windchills to a couple days of warm up topping out about +38f and then dropped a record of 51 degrees in well under 24hrs and bottomed out the day after that (2 days ago) at -17 w/-47 wind chill. Colder in other parts of state. 3 below now at 1am and may hit +22 Fri. afternoon.
Not quite as cold as the Canada guys #'s, but alot further South and I don't think many could really tell the diff. When it gets past about 15-20 below w/or w/o wind it's just Damn Cold!! no matter how you look at it.

When -20 feels warm.. you know you're in Canada!!

It's -19 and feels balmly and warm compared to the -50 windchills we had all week.

All I want to know is.... WHAT HAPPENED TO GLOBAL WARMING!!??

mauiSRT/10 said:
To ship from a west coast port $1000, gas $4.04 a gallon, medium home price on Maui over $600k, milk $6 a gallon, wages......not much higher for the same gig where you are, guy to girl ratio at least 5 to 1 ...ie... sausagefest............. is that enough?

Yes its very expensive here. A family of 4 with an income of $100k would struggle if they just moved here. You could not afford to buy a home, car pmt, food, insurance etc.... You just cannot get ahead...............unless you make more and got in the home market 5 years ago.

FYI............it snowed on Mt. Haleakala last night. Its 10,023 feet tall. The last time I saw that was in the early 90's.................so it was cold here!!!!!:D

patrick

It was a beautiful sight seeing snow on Mt. Haleakala too!:D I've made several flights over Maui this week and I got to see snow on Maui and Hilo! It was freakin awesome!!!!:D:D:D:D

Maybe someday I will get to visit the islands instead of just flying over them and "bouncing" at their airports!:(

Weather has been chilly here to! Around 71 degrees on Oahu, especially with the wind chill!;):p

MYTRAM said:

Its cold once you start dipping into the 60's!:eek::p

Well I live just north of Chicago...and one of the morning dj's here said it was so cold in the "Loop" that he saw two dogs frozen to the same fire hydrant:eek: :eek: :eek:

yelofvr#363 said:
When -20 feels warm.. you know you're in Canada!!

It's -19 and feels balmly and warm compared to the -50 windchills we had all week.

All I want to know is.... WHAT HAPPENED TO GLOBAL WARMING!!??
That's what I was thinking yesterday. was +23 and cloudy here, only a few days after the -17 and near -50 windchills. Felt great and if you were out doing just a bit of anything, such as walking, you'd get warm enough very quick to almost think about getting the shorts out and if it would of been 30-ish and sunny there would of been some doing it.

I think our winter weather here in Mn is usually very similar to the central/southern part of western Cananda, only about 2 days behind, most of the cold stuff we get comes from that direction.

Kind of in the middle of everything here with better than average extremes. We get the cold from Alaska/ Western Canada direction and heat from a couple diff. southern directions and they regularly fight each other in this general area of the region. Just keep bangin' each other back and forth.

Prof said:
Well I live just north of Chicago...and one of the morning dj's here said it was so cold in the "Loop" that he saw two dogs frozen to the same fire hydrant:eek: :eek: :eek:
Sure like to see a pic of that!

MYTRAM said:
Sure like to see a pic of that!

I think it was a slight exaggeration. But if someone could photoshop a pic of two dogs frozen the a fire hydrant it would probably scream around the world on the internet!

You folks in MN and Canada must really love that cold weather, while the Chicago area is cold it is nothing compared to the most northernly climes!

Prof said:
I think it was a slight exaggeration. But if someone could photoshop a pic of two dogs frozen the a fire hydrant it would probably scream around the world on the internet!

You folks in MN and Canada must really love that cold weather, while the Chicago area is cold it is nothing compared to the most northernly climes!
We would usually get two or three 1-2 week stretches per winter where it stays around zero for highs and a couple days each of those that getswell below zero, but haven't hardly had anything near that the last few winters. Lot less on the snow too. The rest of the time it's around +20-ish. This winter we have gotten some of the cold stuff back. What we've had so far is not alot, but probably as much as last 3 winters combined.

I have no desire to ever live any further south than I do now, but If it was really cold like last week for a large portion of the winter, I would probably want to!

You get down around 0 once in awhile don't you? Just not usually for more that a day or two at a time, right?

as far as dog thing lol probably was an exaggeration but at same time those temps are possible seen water freeze mid air winter when i spent 2 weeks in Alaska with family that lives there lol. couldn't figure out why it felt so warm out seen uncle throw bucket of water and have it freeze before hitting ground. really makes you think :)

MYTRAM said:
We would usually get two or three 1-2 week stretches per winter where it stays around zero for highs and a couple days each of those that getswell below zero, but haven't hardly had anything near that the last few winters. Lot less on the snow too. The rest of the time it's around +20-ish. This winter we have gotten some of the cold stuff back. What we've had so far is not alot, but probably as much as last 3 winters combined.

I have no desire to ever live any further south than I do now, but If it was really cold like last week for a large portion of the winter, I would probably want to!

You get down around 0 once in awhile don't you? Just not usually for more that a day or two at a time, right?

This is only my second winter here and we have gone below zero a couple of times. That just makes me appreciate the more normal winter lows in the 20's. I seem to tolerate the cold better if the sun is shining. But I am getting used to the cold...better winter clothes, less exposure out side, and frequent trips to our home in Marathon, Florida!

Here are some pics I took around my house a couple of weeks ago.The big white mound is an igloo my neighbour made with their kids.

Bill.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back