COMPUTER GUYS! Need some help with my IE connection...

EMT/SRT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Dell XPS M1330. I was on the internet last shift which was the 16th and everything was fine. I haven't used it since. I turn it on this morning and it will not connect. Well, actually it says it is connected via wireless but all it will do when I click on IE is "website found, waiting for reply" and it just sits there. I talked to a guy I know that knows computers and he said to go to "command prompts" and type in "IPconfig" and it says "media disconnected". I also "pinged" his computer and it sent 4 and rec'd 4 with none lost. Also, I can plug the ethernet cable from the very PC that I am typing on now and it does the same thing. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Travis

EMT/SRT said:
I have a Dell XPS M1330. I was on the internet last shift which was the 16th and everything was fine. I haven't used it since. I turn it on this morning and it will not connect. Well, actually it says it is connected via wireless but all it will do when I click on IE is "website found, waiting for reply" and it just sits there. I talked to a guy I know that knows computers and he said to go to "command prompts" and type in "IPconfig" and it says "media disconnected". I also "pinged" his computer and it sent 4 and rec'd 4 with none lost. Also, I can plug the ethernet cable from the very PC that I am typing on now and it does the same thing. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Travis

Turn off your router and modem, then turn them back on, modem first. Reboot and try again.

it's almost impossible to help someone fix their computer without being there to fix it. it could be anything, really. and the fact that you are using IE scares me.

Doesn't sound like it is IE, hard to say why you can't connect with either the wireless or ethernet. Connect both and run ipconfig /all and see what it says. There might be some clues there. Actually before you do that run ipconfig /renew.

EMT/SRT said:
Also, I can plug the ethernet cable from the very PC that I am typing on now and it does the same thing. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Travis

What do you mean by this?

When you plug the cable into this machine it can't connect?

IF that is the case, I would contact my internet provider.

ntw0rk said:
What do you mean by this?

When you plug the cable into this machine it can't connect?

IF that is the case, I would contact my internet provider.

Exactly, I plug in the same cable that is allowing me on the net with this PC and it still does the same thing. It says i'm connected, but the websites won't come up.

Connected just means that the cable is receiving a signal from the router. When you do an ipconfig /all does it show any ip addresses at all?

I know I know! It's hard to diagnose over the internet. But I am pretty computer illiterate, so I thought it might be something simple I could be walked thru. Thanks for your help, guys!

EMT/SRT said:
I know I know! It's hard to diagnose over the internet. But I am pretty computer illiterate, so I thought it might be something simple I could be walked thru. Thanks for your help, guys!

standby I'll try

No sweats...

Just a thought... try putting a new cable between your router and the modem (Not between the router and the computer).

when i ipconfig/all it says: media state: media disconnected.

The physical address is all zero's.

did you try ipconfig /renew

I want to make sure I have this right. You have a wireless card and an ethernet adapter in computer A (which is the one that isn't working). You have an ethernet only in computer B, which is working.

Neither the wireless or ethernet is working on A.

First run ipconfig /all on computer B while it is connected and working. Make note of all of the data returned. .

If you can, disable the wireless adapter on A. Now, connect the ethernet cable to A. Run ipconfig /all and see what is returned. See if you have connectivity. If not, run ipconfig /renew and then ipconfig /all and see what comes back.

Don't know who your internet provider is, but comcast has been having trouble with connections for the past week or so...several times, it just could not connect me...but things seem to be better. You might want to call just to check.

man some of you guys aren't as geeky as I thought you were :p

1: check to see that you have the lights on your DSL modem... usually 3... make sure they're all lit... if you have a 4'th activity light that may come into play later
2: the fact that IPCONFIG shows media disconnect is basically your issue... I'm suprised you can ping anything without an IP so either you do have an IP or you just don't see it
3: I agree with what some have said but this may shed more light on ipconfig
a: ipconfig /all will show all the ip info
b: ipconfig /release use this prior to renew ... just do it :p
c: ipconfig /renew assuming you have a functioning dhcp server this will work
4: nothing will work if you don't have an IP so if ipconfig doesn't show you 192.168.xxx.xxx then somethings not right...
5: btw... does your ethernet card showing a green light??? is it blinking?? lol

so to sum things up ... check the lights.. make sure you're getting an IP... then in IPCONFIG if you've got an IP make sure the info is correct... the gateway is your router.... if you can get that far you're doing well... next thing to do is to look at your router config...

to look at your router you'll need to see the gateway number (shown in ipconfig) usually it's 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254 ... somethin like that....

and as members have already told you... get firefox... that's great advice :D

and for everyone that said you can't troubleshoot without being there.... that's such a weenie excuse... I can come up with another 30 things to check before I weenie out like that :p :p :D :p

oh another thing you can do AFTER you followed the above stuff... is enter the IP / gateway / dns servers in manually.... I know people are going to say you shouldn't have to do that blah blah... it'll help narrow down where the issue lies... let me know if you need help with that... at that point I'd prefer to use email and send screenshots of what to do....

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back