considering new shifter ... have a question

srt10

Reaction score
I am considering purchasing a new shifter (B&M) and have noticed a lot of post about how loud/noisy the shifters are. My daily driver is a 6spd Civic SI and the shift is soo short and so much better than my 10 that it really shows the drawbacks of the stock clutch and shifter when I get it in it on the weekends.

This may be a dumb question, but could someone please expound on this. I would like a little more insight as to what this noise sounds like, and is it a constant noise, or only when shifting or what?

I have a B&M and there is some "whirring" noise but it's not too bad. If I have the radio on at all (above two bars on the RB1) I cant hear it. I can't hear it now anyway with my new catless mids and Magnaflow catback. The mild noise is a very small price to pay for the improved performance. It's one of the best mods I've done because it changes the whole experience of driving the truck.

u want to know something?? i dont even notice noise from the shifter anymore :dontknow: :dontknow:

I've had both the X-Metal Gen X and the B&M, both were fairly quiet . I like the B&M best. (sold the gen x)

Sounds great. I do not have mids or headers, but i do have magnaflow catback and usually listen to the tunes also, so I may not even notice.

Also, from my research it appears that the installation of the B&M shifter is extremely simple, am I right in assuming this?

Noise comes from resonance . The shifter vibrates like tuning fork. The OEM shifter has some plastic dampers between some of the metal parts which absorbs this energy.These are removed in aftermarket shifters for improved shifting performance. To quiet this down you can wrap the base of the shifter with some sound absorbing material like rubber tape. I used some leftover pieces of Dynamat on mine.:D

srt10 said:
Also, from my research it appears that the installation of the B&M shifter is extremely simple, am I right in assuming this?

Yes you are. If you've never done it before, I would say it'll take you an hour.

- Loosen lock nut, unscrew shift knob
- remove four screws holding in shifter console, remove remove console
- remove 6 screws holding in rubber shifter seal plate
- remove 4 screws on shifter base and remove shifter

Installation in reverse order.

The B&M has multiple holes in the upper lever so you can set your shifter height to suit your taste. Also, if you have a wire polishing wheel the black finish can be buffed off and be silver in color and give a stock appearance.

Which Supporting Vendor has the B&M shifter? I tried Summit and they don't show a listing for it....

Anyone have the part number?

Well first if your not in a hurry the shifters come up for sale on here all the time i picked mine up a couple of weeks ago for 150.00. Second when installing it mine (USED) didn't come with anything to put between the shifter/and the arm. I placed neopreme washers between the two (Thanks FATJACK:rock: ) and I have a little whining in 5th and sixth. I also had a rattle at high RPMs. It was loud! But I had my clutch and MAST/Slave cyl. upgraded (Thanks JUSTIN:rock: :rock: ) last friday and the rattle is gone so i am not sure what that was all about. Installation error on my part i guess. But the shifting is unbeatable.:elefant: :elefant:

Can I ask the 2 or 3 guys in this thread why they choose the B&M over the X-metal shifter? Just curious, I know lots have the Gen-X but it seems more are jumping ship to the B&M. I purchased a Gen-X off a member here but haven't driven my truck let-alone tested the shifting. Just curious is all to hear the reasons behind going to B&M, especially those who have had both.

Thanks,
Carl

Gen x more of a racing shifter, has a bit of a twist when shifting into third. I have gen 1, which shifts like the b&m according to others. The noise is just a "racy" sound and like others have said, some rubber or silicone washers can reduce it.

Any shifter is an improvement over stock IMO. No more mystery shifting into questionable gears including downshifting which was always scary with the stocker in my truck.

patrick

i have just installed the b&m shifter is was so easy took about a hour
its 100% better
the noise is like a sporty whine i like it

I have had both, the Gen X is a great piece but I just could not get accustomed to the "twisting" when you change gears. I gave it a long test, kept it in for about 4 months then put the B&M back in. I was told the Gen X was adjustable for height, then I found out the only adjustment was to drop into the bottom holes which did not even match up was then told thats no big deal just use a smaller bolt and loctite the hell out of them. I really did not want to have a $500.00 shifter with improper bolts in the lever itself.

I see, thanks guys. I'll test my Gen-X and if no good go to the B&M.
I heard the "twisting" is non existence with the ball but with the T-Handle it's exaggerated and very noticeable, is this true?

Carlwalski said:
I see, thanks guys. I'll test my Gen-X and if no good go to the B&M.
I heard the "twisting" is non existence with the ball but with the T-Handle it's exaggerated and very noticeable, is this true?
No, you feel the twist with any handle on it.

sleeper said:
No, you feel the twist with any handle on it.

Really? :confused: Reading the review thread the ball is "suppose" to be "unnoticeable". :( Guess I'll have to wait and see for myself. I also saw while searching that the B&M doesn't have the straight through 2nd-3rd like the X-Metal shifter so it doesn't actually "improve" the 2-3 but just makes all shifts more positive (firm) and shorter. Anyone? :dontknow:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back