Consistent 230 coolant temp

toddrs93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So yes I have read past posts and info and the consensus seems to be the truck should run way cooler than it is.

I have only owned the truck 3 months or so and it has ran 225-230 according to the gauge all the time. Warms up fine like normal and runs the same temp all the time. Never been any hotter or cooler no matter what. I've have 80 degree days outside and 40 degree days outside and still the same. I even towed about 9,000 lbs for a 20 mile stretch and the temp still stayed the same.

Fan runs fine, switches to high fine. Coolant system is full, no leaks.

I am an ASE master tech and I manage a shop so I do know what to look for. I just assumed maybe with this engine that was normal for the truck or even if it's a little high maybe the gauge is just off of actual temp. We have the latest and greatest snap-on scanner so I will eventually hook up to the truck and see what I can find as far as temp and fan control.

Just looking for some input/experience on this. Thanks.

Slap your choice of external temp gauge on the cooling system and see what it reads.

Ya i would have to agree definitely to high. I am running a plx multi gauge that i swapped out for my oil temp gauge. Its digital and i noticed that my coolant temp was slightly different on there than on the dash but only by a few degrees. Im not sure but maybe a different gauge will help

I would suspect the gauge is screwed. bleed the coolant at the thermostat and make sure the overflow jug is at the required level. Check and see if the inside of the coolant overflow jug is clean. does the high speed fan run at that temp? it will sound like a jet plane when it is running.

Well I will hook up to the snap on scanner this week and that should give me the exact number that the computer is seeing from the coolant temp sensor.

Yea fan is definitely running on high speed. I'll go ahead and run the Bg cooling machine on the truck this week as well and flush the whole system just to be safe.

Yea fan is definitely running on high speed. I'll go ahead and run the Bg cooling machine on the truck this week as well and flush the whole system just to be safe.

Viper cooling systems take Zerex G-05 HOAT coolant. If the system is full of crap I would flush it. If not I would recommend just a drain & fill. The engine has 2 drain plugs on either side of the block. You will have to remove the starter motor to access the one side. Between them & the radiator drain you will get most of it out. The bleeder fitting on the thermostat houseing will make filling the system super easy. Every engine should have one.

So yes I have read past posts and info and the consensus seems to be the truck should run way cooler than it is.

I have only owned the truck 3 months or so and it has ran 225-230 according to the gauge all the time. Warms up fine like normal and runs the same temp all the time. Never been any hotter or cooler no matter what. I've have 80 degree days outside and 40 degree days outside and still the same. I even towed about 9,000 lbs for a 20 mile stretch and the temp still stayed the same.

Fan runs fine, switches to high fine. Coolant system is full, no leaks.

I am an ASE master tech and I manage a shop so I do know what to look for. I just assumed maybe with this engine that was normal for the truck or even if it's a little high maybe the gauge is just off of actual temp. We have the latest and greatest snap-on scanner so I will eventually hook up to the truck and see what I can find as far as temp and fan control.

Just looking for some input/experience on this. Thanks.

I am going to give you some crap.
It's been showing that hot for 3 mos. and an ASE master tech is just getting around to investigating? This makes the statement, The shoemaker's kids go barefoot hold true. Running that hot and you towed with it.

C'mon now. What engine would be safe at a constant 230?

I'd have had the hood up right away hoping to save the heads and gaskets.

It's been showing that hot for 3 mos. and an ASE master tech is just getting around to investigating? This makes the statement, The shoemaker's kids go barefoot hold true. Running that hot and you towed with it.

But But I'm a gold patch wearing master tech. How dare you.

Viper cooling systems take Zerex G-05 HOAT coolant. If the system is full of crap I would flush it. If not I would recommend just a drain & fill. The engine has 2 drain plugs on either side of the block. You will have to remove the starter motor to access the one side. Between them & the radiator drain you will get most of it out. The bleeder fitting on the thermostat houseing will make filling the system super easy. Every engine should have one.

the block plugs you say are 1 besides the starter but where abouts on the pass.side of the block ? and what is the plug is it a hex or torx ? i wanted to drain my block and refill but couldnt find the drain plugs on the block

Charlie sheen had the hi-5 for years and is just getting around to telling the broads he's with he has it... Give this guy a break its only been three months and he will eventually hook a scanner up to it... Not everyone fixes what could be a serious problem right away...

the block plugs you say are 1 besides the starter but where abouts on the pass.side of the block ? and what is the plug is it a hex or torx ? i wanted to drain my block and refill but couldnt find the drain plugs on the block

If I remember corectly they are toward the back of the block between the deck & pan rail. They are pipe plugs & should take a hex/alen wrench tool. The one behind the starter you should be able to see (with the starter in). You just won't be able to get tool in it.

Haha nice. I was just saying that to make note I can understand the technical side and time doesn't have to be wasted explaining basics.

True however, if there was really a problem there would be other issues. A blockage or other cooling system problem would most likely cause the gauge to fluctuate and the truck to overheat under at least some conditions. The gauge is incredibly consistent and has never behaved irradically, and the truck has always run strong.

A true fluid exchange at a shop will hook up inline with the cooling system and block off one side and flush the whole thing without having to pull any drain plugs. Quick and easy.

Charlie sheen had the hi-5 for years and is just getting around to telling the broads he's with he has it... Give this guy a break its only been three months and he will eventually hook a scanner up to it... Not everyone fixes what could be a serious problem right away...

As I said it's not a serious problem or there would be other indicators.

Since I'm new here, I'll cut you a break lol

Anyway all BS insults aside, for those of interest, here is what I found when hooking up to the scanner.

Truck warmed up as usual,
Fan kicked on high at 212 degrees,
Truck settled at 221-222 degrees,
I saw a peak of 224 for a second.
It stayed there the whole time at idle, actually dropped to 219 during some of the drive.
Cooling system is all fine, no air pockets.
On the dash gauge it was where it always is, which you would interpret as 225-230.

So no surprise, there doesn't seem to be any problem at all. All the previous posts I have seen with people saying there truck runs 195 and 205, etc, they just probably are assuming that. I bet if everybody went out and actually hooked up to something to read the temp that just about all of these trucks would be running consistently at around 220.

Another funny thing is that I could not find anywhere that actually said a specific operating temp number. I checked ALLDATA, Mitchell Prodemand, and identifix (which accesses factory service manuals) and none stated an actual temperature number.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back