Continues to quit.....

freeman090703

Reaction score
Okay fellas, hopefully you guys can give me some advice as my patience is nearing an end and I'm about ready to trade the truck in!!!!
About 2 weeks ago, my lady and I went and grabbed some lunch at a restaurant and came back out and the truck would not start. It Just turned over, I had fuel pressure so I popped the hood and pulled the #1 cyl. spark plug boot off to check for spark. When the truck was turned over for spark, it started right up and was sparking. I shut the truck off and put boot back on and tried again and the truck started right up and I drove it home. I have no check engine light, no codes....nadda! I thought or hoped maybe it was just a one time fluke or tantrum the truck wanted to throw....
Now, the weekend before last I was driving down the road about 25mph and the truck just shut off while driving down the road!!! I through it in neutral real quick and attempted to restart it and failed. I pulled it off the side of the road, and put it in park, attempted to restart it and it just cranked. I popped the hood, tapped on sensors, fuses, pulled spark plug boot off again and put back on and tried to start it again......whammo.....starts up!!! I drive it home and try to figure out what it may be....and so I replaced the crankshaft position sensor and the camshaft position sensor in hopes that they may be faulty. I drove the truck for a whole day with no issues and then the following day....it dies again!!! This time I pulled in a parking lot to grab some food and was on the phone and was in park and letting the truck run with heat on as it was cold. As I was sitting there....less than 5 minutes...the truck just shut off!!! I attempted to restart it and it would not, at this point I'm pissed and hungry so I go in and grab my food to go....about a 10 minute wait.....go back to truck and tried to start it....fires right up and I drove it home!!!
Now the truck is sitting outside and in time out for being bad but I want it fixed!!! Does anyone have any ideas or have this issue with there trucks? Keep in mind this a 2005 QC with only 17K on it!!! This truck is like brand new, why am I having issues with it!!! UGH!!!

Just replaced TPS and IAC sensors......still doing it!!!

If your truck is an 06 I would be looking for a shop to pull the timing cover off and /or checking to see if the cam gear is loose! Check with stoneMD. He can confirm the same issues and how he fixed his!! The cam gear bolts come loose and wiggle just enough to confuse the computer!!

Did you gap the cam position sensor correctly?? Could also be a faulty ASD relay. Check your plug wires on passenger side along rear corner of cylinder head. They can rub through on that edge and short out ignition possibly.

My truck use to do this all the time.

What ended up fixing your problem 505? I'll check to see if wires are chaffing on anything and check out the cam bolts. I installed the CAM sensor correctly as it should throw a code or not run right at all I would presume. I mean, I drove the truck 500 miles back from Cali to vegas and no issues. The next day I drove it 20 miles and shut it off, came back 20 minutes later to leave and the truck wouldn't start again......took other car out and tried again the following morning....and it started right up!!!

Last edited:
what fuel system do you have
?

this sounds so dumb but....push the button in first then turn the key....i dont know why but mine would start like that

Might want to check the wire harness on the passenger side of the motor to see if it has been in contact with the exhaust manifolds or headers.

Pull the cam sensor out and, with a pen magnet,see if you can feel any free play with the cam gear!! Push and pull!

Might want to check the wire harness on the passenger side of the motor to see if it has been in contact with the exhaust manifolds or headers.

Pull the cam sensor out and, with a pen magnet,see if you can feel any free play with the cam gear!! Push and pull!

Yes do both of these things as well ^^^^

First thought, I would re-seat every connection on that PCM. Look for oxidation on the connections. Wont cost anything. Second thought, check the neutral safety switch. .....be sure to let us know the culprit.....and loose that thought of trading her in !

Yup, does the clutch have a crunchy feel at times? Neutral Safety is a good possibility as well.

Yup, does the clutch have a crunchy feel at times? Neutral Safety is a good possibility as well.

I don't agree. The neutral safety won't let it turn over. If it is already running it won't affect it. I am 90% sure it is the cam gear come loose. There is a service bulletin on it

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/recalls/D19.htm http://dodgeram.info/tsb/recalls/D19-repair.htm Checkout these links. It describes the repair procedure. Do some research if your truck fall in the 1200 vehicles affected. maybe it is covered under warranty.

Last edited:
I witnessed first hand what stoneMD's truck did and it was exactly as he describes! randomly dies ,starts when it wants,and generally unpredictable. when it ran it was real strong! like nothing was wrong. then it just wouldn't start! he changed every sensor . the cam sensor twice! finally took it to a dealer to have them flash the computer and in their infinite wisdom,they decided to change the cam sensor. they didn't do it correctly and at first startup the cam gear sheared off the cam sensor and left all the magnetic debris in the timing cover! they claimed the gear was loose and contacted the sensor! He had it towed home with all the parts and is still in the process of reassembly. complete with a new cam just because he was into it that far anyway. The cam gear was loose!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back