Convince me to buy one.......

sy1616

Reaction score
I have just sold my previous love, a 1991 Syclone and am highly considering an SRT-10 Ram RC….can’t decide between red and black for the life of me. Anyhow, I’ve always loved these trucks but can’t 100% commit to it…why, I have no idea. I am also considering an 03/04 Cobra…and believe it or not a 68 Camaro. Why should I buy the Ram? I love (sorry but for me as a buyer it’s great) the fact that they’ve totally tanked in value this last 6-12 months so on that perspective it’s attractive (buying for ~$20K). What make ownership of these so great? You guys get a lot of people gawking at them, complimenting them (call me vain but I like that). How’s the overall reliability? It won’t be driven more than 3K miles/year…..weekend toy. Convince me to buy an SRT-10!

Note my daily driver is a 2008 SRT-8 Jeep…so fun is had everyday! :)

Black or Red?

Thanks!

Vince :D

Black if you are not driving it daily. There are plenty enough stories and photos and videos on this website to convince you. What you need to do is go to a GTG and you will be hooked. Not only hooked on the trucks but on the friendships you gain with them through this great forum. You will get gawked at. Don't worry. Just yesterday I had 5 guys in a SS Trailblazer pointing at me at a red light. And mine looks stock. Good Luck!

EMT/SRT said:
Black if you are not driving it daily. There are plenty enough stories and photos and videos on this website to convince you. What you need to do is go to a GTG and you will be hooked. Not only hooked on the trucks but on the friendships you gain with them through this great forum. You will get gawked at. Don't worry. Just yesterday I had 5 guys in a SS Trailblazer pointing at me at a red light. And mine looks stock. Good Luck!

Thanks! I live in SE PA, where are the gatherings?

I am kind of partial to Red!! Honestly, I think the red stands out more too, so if getting noticed matters, get Red!!

These things are a blast to drive, and always draw attention! I know your SRT-8 is fast, but there is something special about running down a 'Vette or Rustang in a 5000+ lb truck! The looks on the faces of the Porsche owners when you are right there with them. Or the BMW M3 owners, who think they are the fastest things on the road, looks of disappointment when they can't outrun you!! It's a truly unique experience!!

And like EMT said: the friendships that have come about because of these hunks of metal can't be beat, anywhere!!!! :rock:

Have you drove one? That is a way to get hooked....if you like trucks...that to me is important...I have owned a truck before trucks were cool........being vain is required with ownership of these trucks because you will be on stage everytime you drive it..;) ...Reliability? Not bad but this truck is basically a street legal race vehicle and you will probably treat it worse than you would a normal street car.....and if you can be happy with the 2nd fastest truck then buy a red one..:p

Yes, so far what they have said its worth it. But if you need more just imagine that every time someone asks you to pop the hood and it says "Viper" you will get "that man this truck is to cool "feeling as they all drool. Cobra's don't get that all you see is the blower. And yes you can buy one cheap right now.

There is a smokin deal on a modded (Supercharged)red one with less than 4,000 miles on it. That right there should convince you. It's for sale here on this forum and the owner is Bikertat. Stop considering and buy his truck. You won't go wrong there. Seriously, check it out.

ChrisAZ said:
There is a smokin deal on a modded (Supercharged)red one with less than 4,000 miles on it. That right there should convince you. It's for sale here on this forum and the owner is Bikertat. Stop considering and buy his truck. You won't go wrong there. Seriously, check it out.

Thanks ChrisAZ....check my truck out....I'm willing to take a reasonable offer (and by reasonable I mean these trucks are selling around $24K and I'm asking alittle more than that because I have around $20K in mods)...and you are right...these trucks have "tanked" on their value (making it a buyers market right now)...I'm needing to sell mine because I'm going back to school and quitting my job....I don't want my family to have to sacrifice, so I am by selling my truck. I wouldn't even consider selling it if I didn't want my family to suffer. Check it out and let me know what you think....thanks bikertat
Here is the link:
http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20736&highlight=bikertat

Last edited:
Because its SOOOO much fun chasing down and passing Porsches, Vettes, Vipers, supercharged NSX's, Cobras, etc on a road course in a 5000 pound truck! Instant crowd favorite and attention getter...if thats your thing :)

Bikertats was very similar to mine except I had qa-1 shocks handling in the twisties.

These pics are before the lowering kit and shocks.

Oh yah, as far as the BMW M3 thing, passed one in the twisties last year at Pueblo Motorsports Park, and even if I didnt there, he had NO chance on the straights where I was touching 135 mph!

Attachments

• _DSC2477-vi.jpg
    _DSC2477-vi.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 54
  • _DSC2528-vi.jpg
    _DSC2528-vi.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 62
  • _DSC3383-vi.jpg
    _DSC3383-vi.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 52
Dave T(BADVENM) said:
Because its SOOOO much fun chasing down and passing Porsches, Vettes, Vipers, supercharged NSX's, Cobras, etc on a road course in a 5000 pound truck! Instant crowd favorite and attention getter...if thats your thing :)

Bikertats was very similar to mine except I had qa-1 shocks handling in the twisties.

These pics are before the lowering kit and shocks.

Oh yah, as far as the BMW M3 thing, passed one in the twisties last year at Pueblo Motorsports Park, and even if I didnt there, he had NO chance on the straights where I was touching 135 mph!

Nice!!!!:rock::rock:

Ya wanta know what won it over for me !? i was testing driving mine before o bought it an well i was jumpin on the interstate and thinking man i want to see what this thing will do... well i jumped down into second and instant white smoke off the tires! it was great.. and after id already bought mine i raced a Chevy SS we took off from the light and of corse he got the jump cause of the AWD but when ya pass them half ass side ways burning the tires off and the look on his face like WTF... it's priceless

I went a looked at an 04 black in NJ. 14,500 miles...looked like 55k miles so that was a no go...on to the next one!!!

sy1616 said:
I went a looked at an 04 black in NJ. 14,500 miles...looked like 55k miles so that was a no go...on to the next one!!!

Mine only has 3,806 miles on it and looks like it has 3,806 miles on it ;) :D

If you plan to mod you would be best to buy Bikertat's truck. The work is done and the sell price is hardly any higher than a stocker. Great buy if you want a SC'd beast.

sy1616, have you considered a lightning? I hate to mention that on these forums but look at all the options. Id mention the silverado SS but that is NOT on the same level as srt10 ram's.

I was in the same boat as you. I had two choices, the 04-06 srt10 ram RC or an 03 or 04 Lightning.:hmmmm2:

Is there a certain thing you want to do with your new truck. road race, daily driver, drag race. Certain expectations(11, 12 or 13 sec truckin the 1/4)?

RagunCajun said:
sy1616, have you considered a lightning? I hate to mention that on these forums but look at all the options. Id mention the silverado SS but that is NOT on the same level as srt10 ram's.

I was in the same boat as you. I had two choices, the 04-06 srt10 ram RC or an 03 or 04 Lightning.:hmmmm2:

Is there a certain thing you want to do with your new truck. road race, daily driver, drag race. Certain expectations(11, 12 or 13 sec truckin the 1/4)?

..:eek: ..you said the "F" word.....dont listen to him sy1616...he is like the snake in the garden of eden..taste this apple..;)

Here is a post I recently made for someone asking about a Rumble Bee or SRT/10, this is my opinion on why I love the SRT/10 trucks. ;)

Carlwalski said:
My personal review:

I briefly looked at the Rumble Bee being an avid V8 man but for me, the looks of the SRT/10 took the prize, by a country mile. After seeing an SRT/10 Ram, there really is no better looking pickup made. Period. I'm a V8 man through and through but am lucky enough to have 3 V8s up the drive, so, I was looking for something different, a V10 Viper with 3 5s and a 6-speed manual - what's not to like! But, as I said, the styling just blows me away, I'm still not used to it and always catch myself "checking the mail" more than 5 times a day just to walk back and glare at my SRT/10. What about performance? Seat of the pants in stock form is fantastic. It's 2.3 tonnes of 100% American made beef and is capable of 0-60 times in 5 flat (in some tests 4.9) and the top speed, as we know was/is the fastest production truck made. If people want to get "technical" it's still the fastest from 0-60mph (which to me is more important) any car can go high speeds and the "other vehicle" is far from a truck plus it made it's run on test highway, not an oval bank. The truck truly is pointless in regular cab form, it's gets bad MPG, can't tow much if at all and you have to ask, what were Dodge thinking?! Dropping their wildest engine into a pickup truck? Who cares how it came about, it's a toy, a hot rod, don't get too caught up with "why" or "why nots", it's made for people who like trucks/cars for what they are - big boys toys.

The thing I like about my style of cars (American Muscle) are they're all engine. Sure, some Japanese performance cars are fast, some worthy of fast (Skylines, STI Subaru RAs, Supras) some are not (Mazdas, Hondas Vtecs). What I mean is, it's not really the engine of those cars, it's the light weight and compact sizes. Then you look at a truck like this and appreciate just how good that V10 is. It's pushing a modest 500hp and pushing 2.3 tonnes to 60mph from a standstill in 5 flat, that is a sign of true brute force and pulling a house off it's foundation power. It's not because it's light, it's just plain and simply the engine. Look at Rotary engines (12A, 13B, lawnmowers, etc), they are the size of a dinner plate and rev to 12,000+rpms in a car that weighs 1.4 tonnes fully loaded. People are always saying what a beast of an engine it is and Mazda power when in reality all it's got going for it is it's light weight. Put that engine in a 1.8 tonne let alone a 2.3 tonne machine and watch it go. No where. Like American muscle cars (most), they're big, heavy, 650lb-750lb engines, can't break or steer but still hit 60mph in under 6 seconds, again, just brute muscle. A sign of a well built and stout engine. At the end of the day, to be fair, there are many different ways of running a 12 second 1/4 mile, rotary, V8, V10, V12, V6, /6, 1.3L, 2L, the list is endless, just pick you preference and go with it.

Finally, the looks. That hood scoop, the proportions, the functional but subtle wing and the best part, that in your face oh-so-DODGE front end. There is no mistaking this beast on the road, either passing or rapidly approaching you from behind, it just screams MOVE or be eaten. Then there's the handling, surprisingly enough for a pickup, it handles very well, first time uses will know the first few corners were full of over-steer, why? Because you expect the truck to lag behind the initial wheel movement but no. It's a true point and steer machine and although not a performance car, it holds it's own on public roads and the track. Remember, with any stock car/truck little improvements have to be made, nothing from the factory is perfect. Upgrade the clutch & master cylinders to Viper spec, new short shifter, lower it a little and if you want, bolt on some goodies like catback, mids and a CAI and there really is nothing else needed to be done. I truly love my truck and those who have witnessed what I had to do and how long I waited can justify that my passion could be almost beyond some other owners. I will not be selling my truck for as far as I can see into the future. It's something different, unique and just a blast to drive. Hope you end up grabbing the keys to one of these beasts because as someone said, it's an SRT/10 thing, if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand.

Cheers,
Carlwalski
New Zealand

SRT10River1.jpg

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back