CRACK IN OIL PAN!

SANCHOBA

TEXAS A&M DAD
Supporting Member
Reaction score
went to change the oil and noticed a freakin' crack around the drain area!:mad: :argh: it was changed last by a rapid lube place. friggin' idiots overtightened it! what are my options if any? epoxy or JB weld after a good cleaning of the area? maybe sand the area too?:dontknow:

after a good cleaning of the area,i don't know what to think,there is an un even area all the way around,doesn't really look like a crack.. like maybe the area was built up by welding?...no oil seeping through.maybe it started as a crack and healed due to the corrosion LOL:D any way put some JB weld on it:rock:

The only thing you could do is have it magnafluxed to find out if it is a crack:)

but more than likley is a casting line...maybe:D but if it starts seaping then you may need to have it repaired

yup...going to watch it closely. never has been oil dropping on the driveway,that i have noticed. i think its to irregular to be a casting line.

The only thing you could do is have it magnafluxed to find out if it is a crack:)

but more than likley is a casting line...maybe:D but if it starts seaping then you may need to have it repaired

hey you mr.supporting vendor i have some damn leak in my oil pan and i need some replacement are you still selling up to now? i dont want it to be repaired already it's already been repaired twice so i think i need a new one.

Hope that it is a casting mark!

But if it was a crack...I would choose to replace rather than repair...can't imagine that there would be that much difference in expense. I think in both cases to do the job correctly, it has to come off, and once you go through what has to be done to drop the pan, you might as well put a new one on.

I have always wondered why people pump so much muscle into tightening the drain plug...it just needs to be snug...especially as frequently as most of us change our oil. But the other lesson...this is a routine maintenance procedure...and letting someone else do it, is fraught with problems...over-filling, cross threading, forgetting to check to see if the old oil filter gasket has been left on the pick-up, tightening too much...not to mention the other things that you might see when doing this task yourself...most find the infamous 'rear main' leak when changing oil, or discover exhaust leaks in those Magnaflow mufflers. Its the only time I check the plastic ties that strap my rear 02 sensors to the frame...

Last edited:
Not neccessarily casting lines as in from the mold, but rather lines that appear to be stress induced in the forming of cast aluminum parts. I noticed them both my 48re and my T56 and was worried.;)

hey you mr.supporting vendor i have some damn leak in my oil pan and i need some replacement are you still selling up to now? i dont want it to be repaired already it's already been repaired twice so i think i need a new one.

call me, I will look see if I have any xtra

Last time i had crack in my oil pan i cleaned it off and smoked it ,,,buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:elefant:

ya i know ,, completly un called for !:dontknow::itsme:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back